Age where it is no longer appropriate for children to ride onsidewalks?

Old February 8th 17, 09:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

Default Age where it is no longer appropriate for children to ride onsidewalks?

Last night I was on the losing side of a 3-2 vote to raise the legal age
for cycling on sidewalks from 10 years old to 12 years old. I brought in
one of the top cycling instructors in California to try to explain to
the City Council why it's a bad idea. But the consensus was that by
raising the age limit we are encouraging kids to ride because the kids
and their parents feel safe on sidewalks, even though the evidence
doesn't support this feeling.

The issue I raised, that got one other council member on my side, was
the problem of fast cyclists, riding opposite traffic, on the sidewalk,
speeding down sidewalk ramps into intersections, where drivers aren't
expecting or looking for a high speed cyclist.

This was only the first reading of the ordinance. I have one more chance
to stop it. I need additional compelling arguments, ones that
non-cyclists will understand.
Old February 9th 17, 01:28 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

there are miles of empty sidewalks here.

why ride on the road ?

sidewalks should be available to every age.

The cattle ranch you live should adjust
Old February 9th 17, 05:07 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tim McNamara

On Wed, 8 Feb 2017 13:39:37 -0800, sms
wrote:
[...]

What about the safety of pedestrians from people operating VEHICLES on
the sidewalk? Other children, old people, people with disabilities?
Siewalks are not a one-way proposition, so it is guaranteed that
pedestrians will be passed from behind. How about people out walking
their dogs and the leash getting tangled up in the front wheel and
causing a crash?

Does your municipality have driveways that cross the sidewalk? Every
one of those is an intersection, and intersections are the most
dangerous place for cyclists. Will there be visibility provisions in
the ordinance preventing fences, shrubbery, walls, etc. from obscuring
the view for drivers crossing the sidewalk, so that they can avoid
hitting kids? I watched a guy in the car in front of me at a stop light
hit three kids on bikes who were crossing in the crosswalk- the driver
was looking left at cars to make a right turn on red, creeping forward
in jerks and stops. The kids came from the right and just as they got
in front of him he released the brakes again and knocked all three kids
over. Fortunately no injuries and the police officer in traffic on the
side street saw teh whole thing.

What are the potential unintended consequences of the law?

How about instead offering bicycle safety courses put on in schools,
churches, social organizations like Boy and Girl Scouts, etc.? Improved
skills are a more certain way to promote the safety of our children. I
remember the police department putting a couple of these on every year
at my grade school; you had to have your bike inspected, demonstrate the
rules of the road, emergency stopping technique, etc.

IMHO kids should be riding like adults before they are 10. The skill
set is not that difficult and the reasons I list above are persuasive to
me that riding on sidewalks is not safe.
Old February 9th 17, 07:57 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Uh overall, sidewalking suggests zoning.

Traffic density, intersections ...

Simple level one approach.

More than an age based flat tax but not GF discriminatory

I drive in around the block. 4 HD intersections 4 miles. 2-3 occasional bicycle problems ...the cyclist on the WC BIKE path will not stop....cyclist is hidden until we run him down...they're mostly aware of this one ...and a crossing where cyclists are casual and oblivious. I can approach at speed in the left thru the multiple lane traffic light
Old February 9th 17, 08:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

The post button is wandering ...

Only to find 3-4 Fuds with bikes trying a crossing in front of my path n 40 other beach bound madmen.

Signs are problematic as how do without visual n physical obstruction.

Good question. Try that...
Old February 9th 17, 08:26 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Path/sidewalk behavior is both Newtonian n Brownian.

Eg the bike path intersection is on a one mile clear run. I the large white evil van appear as a nuisance. I am careful not implanting cyclists in the van's side.

300 yards come the intersection n attitudes change from 1 nutty/apprehensive then 100 more n the area fills with in motion particles ...n we see FEAR !

The Fuds crossing is between new Wal
/sidewalk to beach/Fudville. The crossing dated maybe 20 years. We are appre, cyclists are confused either consciously or whatever Fuds do in their spare time.

At that juncture, you see, theres visible entry/transit/exit at hand promoting motion in traffic light safety ceptin the lights doahn say anything relevant that I can see.

I should stop n look. Not likely
Old February 9th 17, 01:56 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 3:26:06 AM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
Path/sidewalk behavior is both Newtonian n Brownian.

Eg the bike path intersection is on a one mile clear run. I the large white evil van appear as a nuisance. I am careful not implanting cyclists in the van's side.

300 yards come the intersection n attitudes change from 1 nutty/apprehensive then 100 more n the area fills with in motion particles ...n we see FEAR !

The Fuds crossing is between new Wal
/sidewalk to beach/Fudville. The crossing dated maybe 20 years. We are appre, cyclists are confused either consciously or whatever Fuds do in their spare time.

At that juncture, you see, theres visible entry/transit/exit at hand promoting motion in traffic light safety ceptin the lights doahn say anything relevant that I can see.

I should stop n look. Not likely

Fudvile boast a sign ! on left at sidewalk edge 4" pipe narrow n long B/W sign 8"/ 2.5' ? goes up past average waist high....with instructions n a button on pipe...buttons at usually palcebos

moral ? Fuds on bikes in traffic cannah reed.
Old February 9th 17, 01:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 8:56:27 AM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
[...]

15' from intersection
Old February 9th 17, 02:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 8:57:35 AM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
[...]

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Fo...!4d-81.9430962

4!4d-81.943254

the auto light system is advanced thought with computer control and prob radio control. Podunk would droooool.

I have it beat ! I can sense the conjunction of the electronics and future human response even to an area when 20' back I can rev it up n pop the clutch hitting the line at green. amaze your friends. this is good as the van's autotrans needs a moment or 2 to pump itself up and slowly crawl off.
Old February 9th 17, 03:21 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

On Thursday, February 9, 2017 at 9:05:02 AM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:
[...]

84!4d-81.943254

the auto light system is advanced thought with computer control and prob radio control. Podunk would droooool.

I have it beat ! I can sense the conjunction of the electronics and future human response even to an area when 20' back I can rev it up n pop the clutch hitting the line at green. amaze your friends. this is good as the van's autotrans needs a moment or 2 to pump itself up and slowly crawl off.

the sign is to the right of a red capped pipe

goo.gl/1YZXz6

the Fuds cannah get from that sign too right across the screen.

First Longer Ride Jorg Lueke General 11 May 2nd 07 04:29 AM
Ride Report ( Long) - Children's Cancer Institute Bike Ride - Townsville to Cairns HughMann Australia 2 August 7th 05 04:08 AM
Children's Cycle Ride Tilly UK 3 March 22nd 05 09:17 PM
Children learning to ride wheelsgoround UK 19 July 28th 04 08:13 PM
teaching children to ride davek UK 9 July 1st 04 08:57 PM