SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

Old October 8th 18, 01:08 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

Default SIX thousand and FIVE hundred lumens !!!!!!!!!!

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 15:02:19 -0400, Frank Krygowski

On 2018-10-06 08:38, Frank Krygowski wrote:

[...]

Why on earth does someone riding a two lane highway with no
intersections think they have to have a white light facing forward? It's
a paranoia.

Simple:

1. It prevents a large vehicle driver from overtake another large
vehicle and then the driver seeing the cyclist when it's too late.

I have other ways of preventing that horrible, tragic event. One of them
is riding in the real world, not the fantasy "worst case scenario" world.

It's not that I've _never_ had an oncoming motorist pull out to pass. It
has happened perhaps two times in over 40 years of riding. And I've
never had to leave the pavement to avoid tragedy. Hell, I've never even
had to move onto the shoulder.

2. It causes oncoming motorists to see the cyclist much earlier and, for
example, if a big semi comes they can pull a bit to the right so the
semi can give the cyclist wide berth.

I do NOT believe any practical light allows a motorist to see a cyclist
_much_ earlier. In almost every case, I've seen on-road cyclists before
I noticed that they had a light. And in no case did I see the light
early enough to make any practical difference. You're fixating on a
superstitious talisman, imagining benefits that don't exist in real life.

I think I've mentioned seeing the bloke on a bike wearing bright
orange knee socks nearly a kilometer away :-) I remember the orange
socks but can't remember whether he had a light on his bike or not :-)
--
Cheers

John B.
Old October 8th 18, 01:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B. Slocomb

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 17:32:42 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 4:08 PM, Emanuel Berg wrote:
Jeff Liebermann wrote:

This doesn't work as well as it used to.
Say that you are a kid today. Good luck
getting your parents permission to destroy
your TV. Even more good look is needed for
you to put it back together. Or a modern
mower. Or a modern phone.
Or a modern whatever.

Wrong.

Repairing a car, TV, radio, mower, phone, etc.,
is much more difficult today than in 1975.
Especially if you are to destroy/disassemble
it first.

My granddad had a professional repair shop, not
like my cloak-and-dagger stuff. At this shop,
they did absolutely *everything*. Bikes, cars,
boats, radios, phones, TVs, you name it.
Good luck finding such a shop today with
a couple of guys being able to do all that with
the usual set of everyday tools and a very
small set of machines.

The other problem, in America at least, is the high cost of skilled
labor vs. the low cost of complete repair.

Example: I've got a CD player in the kitchen that has gotten unreliable.
It's unable to play some commercial CDs at all, and it has a hard time
finding Track 1 on others. (For some reason, it will play OK if I tell
it to jump to track 2.) And it has no hope playing most CDs I burn myself.

I opened it, checked for sticky rails, cleaned lenses, etc. but found
nothing. I took it to an electronics repair place, and the tech guy said
"It will cost you $80 minimum for me to just look at it. You're better
off buying a new one."

It is not a new phenomena, nearly 50 years ago I took a half-horse
electric motor to a repair shop and the guy there told me that I could
buy a new motor cheaper "at Sears" then it would cost for him to
repair it.
--
Cheers

John B.
Old October 8th 18, 01:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

On Sunday, October 7, 2018 at 5:03:39 PM UTC-7, AMuzi wrote:
On 10/7/2018 6:43 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 07:54:07 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-06 16:03, John B. Slocomb wrote:
On Sat, 06 Oct 2018 07:40:47 -0700, Joerg

On 2018-10-04 14:43, Radey Shouman wrote:

On 2018-10-01 15:14, wrote:
http://reviews.mtbr.com/magicshine-l...2018-interbike

The beloved Magicshine brings us what we finally need in bike lights.
Thanks to all the gods. 6500 lumens! I think you can have either
5000 or 1500 or all 6500 lumens. Thankfully now we will not only be
able to blind everyone else on the road or trail, but we can now
cause their eyeballs to burst into flames and maybe hopefully their
heads will also explode. Yeah!!!!!!

This one for their rear light is weird, quote "A sleep mode is
triggered after one minute of inaction to save power, any vibration
will immediately re-activate the unit".

So the light will go out while waiting at an intersection? Really?
Nobody raised their hand during the design review? Was there even a
design review?

First, their definition of "sleep mode" may not be "goes out.." It could,
I suppose, just become much dimmer. In any case, it would be easy enough
to jiggle the bike a bit to turn it back on.

Not very smart on the part of the design engineers.

But it's probably not necessary. Ohio law specifically permits lights
that go out when the bike is stationary, ...

Not a smart decision by the lawmakers.

... and there's never been a report
of a death or serious injury caused by that feature.

Grandpa drove without a seat belt all his life and never go hurt, so ...

Grandpa also rode his bicycle without a six foot tall safety flag, a
siren, a bell constantly and automatically ringing every time he
moved, pads on his knees, pads on his elbows, body armor protecting
his spine. Why are you not using all those measures?

(Actually, maybe you are. With you, we never know.)

BTW, it even happens from the front, even by police officers:

https://fox2now.com/2018/07/30/polic...hone-in-video/

Nothing can replace bright light other than even brighter
lights. Which both of my bikes have.

Joerg, you're the master of the worldwide search for the vanishingly
rare exception. That is NOT a common crash type, as any dispassionate
search of the literature would shoe. And you have no evidence that
your daytime headlight would have prevented it.

Looks like the video has been taken down, at least fox2now.com can't
find it.

Works fine here.

Works for me now, no more "video unavailable".

... The accident happened in broad daylight, no vehicles save the
cop SUV and the cyclist visible for miles, cyclist waiting at an
intersection, I think for a stop sign. Total f*up on the part of the
cop, who was more or less apologetic. A daytime running light would not
have helped.

Not true. I clearly found that drivers notice me much better with
bright lights. Even in the corner of their eyes is enough because it
"distracts" them in a good way. All it takes is noticing a cyclist a
second or two earlier and a collision can be avoided.

Seriously? The cop would have looked up from his phone if only the
cyclist had had a light? Sounds like magic.

Easy to try. While distracted with some chore in your home, have
someone walk towards you pointing a bright but not blinding LED
flashlight. It works. A human eye is not insensitive in the directions
where one does not look, just less sensitive. The "muffling effect"
needs to be overcome and intense light is just about the only method
to achieve that.

This wasn't inside, it was outside in bright daylight, looked like
hardly a cloud in the sky.

Try this in daylight. It works.

... A really bright light is required to make much difference
in that case.

Bingo! Now you know why I have bright lights on my bikes. I experienced
it again yesterday. I had to ride through city streets for many miles,
partially at max speed. With the light fully on nobody cut into my path.
Without lights that is different.

Other clue: You are driving a car, looking ahead into traffic as you
are supposed to do. The dashboard becomes largely unnoticed except for
the occasional glance at the speedometer. However, when the yellow
check engine light, the red oil pressure light, the overtemp light or
the low fuel light comes on it is immediately noticed. Same if someone
behind you flashes their headlights even while you aren't looking into
the rear view mirror.

That only happens if you have the habit, perhaps not completely
conscious, of scanning the dashboard. How do you know it's "immediate"?
You notice it when you notice it, and if it's 10 seconds after the event
that's not a big problem, unlike the case for traffic on the road.

If bright enough or if a less bright light in flashing mode I see that
immediately. An airline pilot could even lose his license if he didn't.

If bright enough... that is exactly what I said, isn't it. But a great
many cars do not have bright warning lights.

As for airline pilots... I can't speak for the airlines but USAF
bombers have a very bright master warning light located at eye level
on the instrument panel that comes on if any of the individual warring
lights are illuminated. See
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annunciator_panel

"More complicated aircraft will feature "Master Warning" and "Master
Caution" lights/switches. In the event of any red or yellow
annunciator being activated, the yellow or red master light, usually
located elsewhere in the pilot's line of sight, will illuminate. In
most installations they will flash and an audible alert will accompany
them. These "masters" will not stop flashing until they have been
acknowledged, usually by pressing the light itself"

You have exactly described what I mean. My front annunciator to car
drivers is roughly in their line of sight and very bright. The rear one
isn't so bright put pulsates. Not irritatingly but gently dimming up and
down in random fashion like police cruiser lights. So even if drivers
are distracted and glancing over to a GPS screen or cell phone they
notice. Which is all I want. It works.

A small price to pay for safety. I've got less than $50 worth of
material in there and the total weight is around 1lbs due to a fairly
large Li-Ion battery. That on is only large on the road bike, for 4-5h
rides.

"A small price to pay for safety"?

You mean that after having spent only $50 you are now totally safe?
The mountain lions and the milk cows can't harm you any more?

I linked earlier to the guy wearing a safety jacket similar
to Jay's:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Liverpool.html

The shooter got away SAFELY on his bicycle, due at least in
part to his magic garment. Hi-Viz saves lives, even if
sometimes the lives of murderers. Magic, in its literary
form anyway, tends to create plot turns like that.

Pah-lease! No homicidal riff-raff was wearing my super-fine, hi-viz, four-way stretch water resistant, race fit Castelli Gabba jacket -- with zippered vents and reflective details. He was probably wearing some dreadfully baggy Sportful rag from Wiggle. Now that's criminal! I didn't see anything in the article about whether he was wearing a helmet. Was he crazy?

I think they'll start catching more of these people as criminals get into GPS-based cyclo-computers. The rider pops off a few shots, gets on his bike, fusses with his Garmin waiting for the satellite up-link, checks to make sure he is on Strava, sees whether he is beating his virtual self, etc., etc. The police arrive.

-- Jay Beattie.

Old October 8th 18, 02:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 09:46:19 -0700, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

Within the general area where I
live, we have repair "shops" for string instruments, music keyboards,
computahs, machine tools, bicycles, mechanical clocks, etc.

Over here, you can not source the bicycle parts from a wholesaler without
a shop front.

Old October 8th 18, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Mon, 08 Oct 2018 06:59:47 +0700, John B. Slocomb wrote:

A few years ago the CHP did a study of bike-auto collisions in Los
Angeles County and found that more then half the accidents were the
fault of the cyclist and I recently read a DOT study that showed that
20% of the cyclists that died in an accident had been drinking alcohol
it would seem that bicycle safety is largely a matter of the cyclist
his(her)'s own actions rather than the brightness of his(her)'s driving
lights.

What about the other 80%. Were they punished by execution because they
didn't drink alcohol?

Anyway,in my observationn, a lot of bicyclist over here only rode
bicycles when they could fit an ICE as a replacement for the car they
were no longer allowed to drive, having lost their licence for DUI.

Thankfully ICE power assist is now banned. So riding is quieter.

Old October 8th 18, 02:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 19:03:38 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

On 10/7/2018 6:43 PM, John B. Slocomb wrote:

You mean that after having spent only $50 you are now totally safe? The
mountain lions and the milk cows can't harm you any more?

I linked earlier to the guy wearing a safety jacket similar to Jay's:
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...earing-hi-viz-

jacket-shoots-27-year-old-streets-Liverpool.html

The shooter got away SAFELY on his bicycle, due at least in part to his
magic garment. Hi-Viz saves lives, even if sometimes the lives of
murderers. Magic, in its literary form anyway, tends to create plot
turns like that.

and look at the other form of "safety" to shooter gained; absolutely no
other description of shooter or escape vehicle. all witnesses appear to
have been blnded by that safety jacket.

Whip around the corner, remove the jacket and you're an entirely
different person.

Old October 8th 18, 02:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
news18

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 17:36:34 -0700, jbeattie wrote:

I think they'll start catching more of these people as criminals get
into GPS-based cyclo-computers. The rider pops off a few shots, gets on
his bike, fusses with his Garmin waiting for the satellite up-link,
checks to make sure he is on Strava, sees whether he is beating his
virtual self, etc., etc. The police arrive.

Fit bits are already doing that. In this case it was the victims.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2018...s-fitbit-data-
tracked-her-dramatic-death-and-maybe-her-killer/

Peeps might be able to train t beat polygraphs, but will they be able to
cover up their fitbit.
Old October 8th 18, 04:14 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 07 Oct 2018 13:43:38 -0500, AMuzi wrote:

+1 for documentation and youtube which make this all much
less black art than it once was.

At one time, an auto repair for girlfriend/neighbor (that
is, for an unfamiliar vehicle) started with a tour of used
bookstores for a manual. In 2018, my employee was outside
bitching and moaning that a dead part on his Toyota was
unreachable while I found a youtube video, walked outside
and pulled the 'hidden' release panel.

Nicely done. I've had similar experiences trying to open laptops,
smartphones, appliances, and gizmos where the sadistic manufacturer
elected to make disassembly as difficult as possible. Extra credit to
Motorola for left handed screw threads on their original DynaTac
phones. YouTube wasn't around when I stripped the threads in the
plastic case. However, ever since YouTube and iFixit arrived, such
damage has been minimal. Before diving into an unknown device, I
watch the teardown on YouTube which usually explains all the necessary
tricks and contortions needed to take it apart. Unfortunately,
YouTube is also polluted with some really bad ideas, which can be
identified by reading the comments.

Unfortunately, a side effect of all this YouTube viewing is that I've
turned into a YouTube addict. I don't have cable or satellite TV. I
don't rent DVD's. The local OTA (over the air) TV stations are all in
Spanish. So, I watch YouTube and a little Netflix on a Roku 3 box.
The Roku is necessary because YouTube might play 10 commercials per
hour if I watch on my computah, but only 2 per hour if I watch on the
Roku box. No clue why they do that.

I should watch some cooking videos. I was forced to eat my own
cooking tonite and now I feel awful...

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D
Old October 8th 18, 04:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
SMS

On 10/1/2018 6:29 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

snip

Let's see what the package can do as a heat sink.
Latent heat for aluminum is 0.900 Joules/gm-K.
The light weighs 142 grams, which I'll assume is mostly aluminum.
The light dissipates 71 watts with all the LED's turned on.
I would guess that 75C would be uncomfortably warm for both the
electronics and the bicycle rider. That's a temp rise of 50C (50K).
Joules = Watts * seconds = 71 watts * seconds. Therefo
0.900 = 71 * seconds / (142 * 50)
Time(sec) = 900 seconds = 15 min
Not too horrible. One has 15 minutes of full brightness lighting, in
still air, before the LED's burn your hand or cause a thermal
shutdown.

They even admit that full power requires sufficient airflow requiring
moderate speed to prevent throttling.

A long time ago, one poster here was insisting that one reason LED
lights were so wonderful was the lack of a "white-hot filament." What he
failed to understand was that a high wattage LED has a very hot
semiconductor junction and that extracting the heat from that junction
is a very difficult process, more difficult than cooling an incandescent
or HID lamp. Some LED lights for cars even have fans as part of the
thermal solution.

Still waiting for liquid cooled bicycle lights. I was over at the
Computer History Museum last week where they have several liquid coold
computers on display.
Old October 8th 18, 04:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Jeff Liebermann

On Sun, 7 Oct 2018 17:27:35 -0400, Frank Krygowski
wrote:

On 10/6/2018 3:44 PM, Jeff Liebermann wrote:

I like to photograph what I tear apart and reverse engineer. For
example, in the bicycle section:

Cygolite Streak 280 headlight:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/Cygolite%20Streak%20280/index.html

K1009 headlight:
http://www.learnbydestroying.com/jeffl/pics/bicycles/K1009%20light/index.html

Since I'm a mechanical guy, not an electronics guy: Both of those seem
to show far more electronics bits than I'd have thought necessary. Any
chance of getting you to explain what they do?

Sure, but I'll need to trace out the schematic in order to give a sane
explanation. That will take about an hour to do (including drawing a
readable schematic and maybe some oscilloscope waveforms). Some of
the chips are not labeled, but I have a good idea what they might be.
I'll do it if you really want it done, but it will need to wait a week
or two when I hopefully will have the time.

I had an off-brand LED dynamo light fail on me. The LED fried itself.

Not exactly. It probably overheated because the thermal connection
between the back of the LED and the COB (chip on board) aluminum heat
sink was probable poorly connected. I've had it happen to me. I
tried to glue another tiny LED to the COB, but it didn't last. So, I
bought a replacement COB, filed few extra notches to make it fit, and
it's working today.

In
the course of replacing it (which was difficult because of the lack of
wowrking space) I was able to take some guesses at the function of the
circuitry components - rectifying, regulating, etc. But there were only
about six or eight electronic devices in there. I'm surprised a DC
battery lamp needs much at all.

Well, the basics electronic components a
1. One or more LED's on a COB or "star" heat sink.
2. A constant current driver IC that delivers about 350ma to each
LED. This is typically an AMC7135 chip and easily recognized because
of its SOT-89 package:
https://www.google.com/search?q=7135+LED+driver&tbm=isch
https://www.electroschematics.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/acm7135-datasheet.pdf
If you need more than 350ma, just add more 7135 chips in parallel such
as this abomination with 4 chips:
http://lygte-info.dk/pic/DriverTest/IO/Qlite%20Rev.A%207135x8%20Multiple%20Modes/DSC_3691a.jpg
3. A PWM (pulse width modulation) light dimmer and controller. That's
the 8 pin chip in the above JPG. If you want half the average light
output, just modulate the DC power to the LED with a 50% duty cycle.
0% is power off. 100% is maximum output. Some have an automatic
power off timer. The chips is a low end Arduino MPU.

That's the basics. Some optional extras a
1. Battery charging circuitry.
2. BMS (battery management system) to prevent running the batter down
to below about 2.7VDC, which tends to kill the battery, above 4.2VDC,
which tends to kill the battery, charging at too much current, which
tends to kill the battery, or inserting the battery backwards, which
tends to kill everything.
3. Stand light circuit. Basically a super capacitor and a switching
transitor or MOSFET. When the dynamo isn't producing power, the super
capacitor takes over.
4. Battery charge indicator.
5. Warranty timer that blow up something just after the warranty
expires.

Questions?