Cycling's Dirty Little Secret

Old April 1st 11, 02:50 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Anton Berlin

Default Cycling's Dirty Little Secret

There was a bike race and no one even knows about it.

http://www.pe.com/columns/bobpratte/...1.1fb3f93.html

"The adulation of dozens of fans"
Old April 5th 11, 03:43 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Deak

On Apr 1, 9:50*am, Anton Berlin wrote:
There was a bike race and no one even knows about it.

http://www.pe.com/columns/bobpratte/...al_E_ebob01.1f...

"The adulation of dozens of fans"

I have a modest suggestion. At the old old Madison Square garden
which was actually at Madison Square, they held six-day races in the
1930's. A picture of the races in the Times showed tents in the
infield, with the text explaining they contained cots for spectators
to lie down and rest during the course of the race. An old rider I
used to ride with laughed at this, and told me his father used to take
him to the races. The main spectator activity was gambling, betting
on lap winners and split times. The tents were for recreational use
with prostitutes.

If Beaumont wants spectators, they can return to cycling's roots.
Old April 5th 11, 04:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
RicodJour

On Apr 5, 10:43*am, Deak wrote:
On Apr 1, 9:50*am, Anton Berlin wrote:

There was a bike race and no one even knows about it.

http://www.pe.com/columns/bobpratte/...al_E_ebob01.1f...

"The adulation of dozens of fans"

I have a modest suggestion. *At the old old Madison Square garden
which was actually at Madison Square, they held six-day races in the
1930's. *A picture of the races in the Times showed tents in the
infield, with the text explaining they contained cots for spectators
to lie down and rest during the course of the race. *An old rider I
used to ride with laughed at this, and told me his father used to take
him to the races. *The main spectator activity was gambling, betting
on lap winners and split times. *The tents were for recreational use
with prostitutes.

If Beaumont wants spectators, they can return to cycling's roots.

Damn. Additional proof I was born too late.

Old April 5th 11, 06:19 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

On Apr 5, 8:32*am, RicodJour wrote:
On Apr 5, 10:43*am, Deak wrote:

[...]

Why? There are still plenty of opportunities
to prostitute oneself.

Fredmaster Ben

Old April 6th 11, 08:30 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fredmaster of Brainerd

http://www.pe.com/columns/bobpratte/...l_E_ebob01..1f...

[...]

Fortunately, in today's world, even a 3/10 like you or I
can still find "work."

There must be some reason this is coming up
while Flintstein is discussing Sauna Diana
in the other thread.

Fredmaster Ben
Heh heh, Beavis, he said "coming up"

Old April 6th 11, 09:49 AM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Simply Fred

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cXGyB2QUNQ&feature=related

Old April 6th 11, 02:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.racing
Fred Flintstein

On 4/6/2011 2:30 AM, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
There must be some reason this is coming up
while Flintstein is discussing Sauna Diana
in the other thread.

Sorry. But when a Dutch guy tells me he thinks running the
Giro outside of Italy is interesting, that's the first thing
that pops into my head. The motorhome certainly made the
Tour more interesting.

They should have been in the publicity caravan, tossing out
favors to the crowd.

Fred Flintstein

Is Lemond cycling's Oprah? TAF Racing 0 May 18th 07 09:55 AM
YOU TUBE- Bikin' Dirty/ Ridin' Dirty Floyd Landis cat6[_3_] Racing 2 March 1st 07 12:13 PM
Ekimov - cycling's undead? RicodJour Racing 17 July 9th 06 07:36 AM
Cycling's boony doll byron27 Australia 8 February 17th 06 04:53 AM
Why Cycling's safer than walking Euan Australia 4 January 16th 06 10:41 PM