My homemade bicycle widgetry

Old September 6th 04, 09:35 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 14:00:46 -0700, Dan Daniel wrote:

What is the glue holding the aluminum bar to the clipboard?

It's JB-Kwik epoxy.

Personally, I'd reinforce that with bolts. Vibrations can be nasty on
any glue on a bike, and having the clipboard fall into the wheel could
be distracting at the least.

Hmmm, good point. Bolts would get in the way I think, but I'll do
something to keep it out of my wheel if it does come off.

Thanks,

Reid
Old September 6th 04, 11:44 PM
pam_in_sc

Badger_South wrote:

That's kinda cool. How does it attach to the bar?

-B

Velcro straps that loop around the bar. It sags down a bit, depending
on the shape of the stem, but going fast it flattens out in the wind.

Pam

Old September 7th 04, 04:09 AM

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:59:16 -0500, Reid Priedhorsky
wrote:

Folks,

A long while back I asked for ideas about handlebar-mounted maps, and a
short while back I asked about a non-crappy mirror. Neither of these
queries resulted in any commercial products that seemed to be what I
wanted, meaning that I had an excuse to make the widgetry myself.

I made a map holder and a rear-view mirror mount and would like to share
them with the group. Pics are available at:

http://reidster.net/pics/2004-09-05/

Comments and questions welcome.

Reid

Your clip board idea works, but I would hate to fall on that thing.
What happens when it rains? Here's are a few places that seem
interesting. Some commercially available and one home made.

http://www.windchill.com.au/Mapholder.htm
http://www.felixwong.com/openroad/bi...ap_holder.html
http://www.jandd.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=FBMP
http://www.macson.com.au/miry.html
http://www.velotique.com/bag.htm

I personally like the one from Velotique (scroll about half way down
the page). The plastic case straps right to the handle bars, don't
interfere with anything, and is very light... and waterproof. Got it
for Christmas last year and have used it a few times with satisfying
results.

Chuck

Old September 7th 04, 06:06 PM
Karen M.

Reid wrote:
I made a map holder and a rear-view mirror mount and would like to share
them with the group....

I used to have the commercially-available
chip-clip-attached-to-velcro strap device, but decided that a couple
of clips on my cables work better.

http://www.jgwhyte.com/cloclips.htm

HTH

--Karen M.

Old September 7th 04, 10:03 PM
VBadJuJu

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 12:02:39 -0700, Raoul Duke wrote:

I can't imagine why you would want to strap a clipboard on to your bike.
Can't you just keep the map in your pocket, and when you wanted to refer
to it, just take it out and look at it? Seems like overkill to me.

Before I kept it in my trunk bag. The convenience of having it available
right in front of my face at every intersection (it's not really intended
for reading while riding) is indeed a big win.

The BarMap does look handy. I'll have to look into it.

An advantage of the BarMap is that Velcro based, you dont have to
worry about being impaled by a piece of bar stock aluminum in the
event of a crash.