Peugeot ?

Old September 9th 04, 07:55 AM
Phil, Squid-in-Training

maxo wrote:
On Sun, 05 Sep 2004 02:14:16 +0000, ZeeExSixAre wrote:

And made in China/Taiwan with inferior components...

like a lot of not so cheap Treks, Giants, Marins...

Except there's a company behind their bikes... I'd feel uncomfortable
dealing with Motobecane... it doesn't have the "presence" that the bigger
names do.

Sora components, and cheap but fine Tektro brakes. Same as most sub
500 dollar bikes. Perhaps you have something against the Chinese and
Taiwanese? Since they manufacture fine stuff if that's what you want,
you want crap, they'll sell you crap My road bike has great riding
Taiwanese tires--no flats for 3000 miles. I can't say that for any
European brands I've ever used.

My parents are Taiwanese. I ride a Taiwan-manufactured Giant, and I love
it. But it's obvious that these Motobecanes are hack-jobs. The quality of
their website is very likely a good reflection of the quality of their
product. Look at the abundance of their low-end bikes. They have nothing
to lose... they have a name they can leverage. i.e. they can make a junky
frame, it might break, and the owner will chalk it up to "normal wear and
tear" Giant/Trek/Specialized have a lot to lose if a product of theirs is
not made with the utmost quality.

Sorry if it's not made with "fine French craftmanship" LOL, but for
someone who knows their size, can assemble it themselves, and is on a
tight budget--I can't think of a finer bike for under $500 brand new.

You have a point here. But that "tight budget" is going to come back to
that someone and bite him/her in the ass.

Yes it's not a "real" Motobecane, but it's got some of the old vibe:
it's quality steel, handles light touring, and has a pretty relaxed
frame.

Not sure about the quality steel statement, but for a brand that I've never
seen in any bike shop or Wal-Mart, I would be wary.
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training