Why I support the helmet law

Old April 10th 05, 09:13 PM
Chris B.

Default Why I support the helmet law

rec.bicycles.misc added

On Sun, 10 Apr 2005 12:32:23 -0400, "Micheal Artindale"
wrote:

Hmmm...

Nov 4, 2004: "Are you for or against it? I am FOR it."

Nov 9, 2004 "YES" (In response to the question " What do you think
is the best way to improve safety for cyclists in a city? Why?
1) Mandatory helmet laws for all cyclists with strict enforcement.")

Feb 1, 2005: "If you stop biking just because of this law, than you
are nothing more than a lazy person."

Feb 3, 2005: "Im not for or against the law, just dont understand the
complaining about it."

Oh, and I should include:

Nov 7, 2004: "I think personally too many people are blind to their
own idiocy."

I was biking to work on froday morning.

As i was riding most of the little puddles had some ice on it, due to the
fact that the temp was 0C.

I saw a large wet spot, covering one lane and a good 10m. I biked across it,
and .... it was ICE.

Because of the normal slope of the road, the bike came out from under me. My
whole left side smaked the road, HARD. I felt my head bounce.

Like so many of your helmet nazi breathren, you are an incompetent
cyclist and you hit your head a lot (while cycling only).

Micheal Artindale "some one wo comutes to work since march
2003".

"OOPS, I meant March 2004.. sorry."

Whoop-de-****ing-doo. Why would *I* listen to *your* opinion on how
best to avoid head injury?

Now if you'd suggested to me to wear a helmet before going into the
average Toronto basement (which account for the only recent times I
actually *have* hit my head, then I might take your opinions at least
a little bit seriously.

The funny thing about your yarn is that I've noticed that even on
mornings where the sidewalks and streets are completely covered with
ice (we had quite a few of these in Toronto this Winter), where
everyone is slipping left, right and center and some are falling on
their asses, I have *never* seen *any* non-cyclist don a helmet, even
though you nazis have repeatedly asserted "there's no reason not to
wear one".

Do you helmet nazis never walk or drive? I think not.

So much for that supposed concern for yourselves, your families and
the cost to the public health system that you continually bleat on
about.

Lucky for me, I was wearing a helmet. Had I not, I would not be here typing
this, instead I would be in a hospital hooked up to some machines.

Do you have any (real) evidence of this?

I checked my helmet for damage, but found none, however, next pay, I will
get a new one.

Okay, I'll admit it, I laughed at "Next pay".

Helmets do save lives, and do prevent major injury.

Do you have any (real) evidence of this?

Even If it is not law, I will be wearing one.

My February diagnosis of you and your ilk still stands.

"For facile specimens such as Micheal Artindale, clearly it has little
or nothing to do with the merits of helmets, helmets laws or issues
surrounding cycling in general and everything to do with
self-righteous control freakery.

The sneering contempt and derision that they so readily display
towards those who don't share their authoritarian streak reveals how
remarkably hollow their supposed concern for others really is.

They make for the ideal politician or present day cycling 'advocate'."
Old April 10th 05, 09:28 PM
Micheal Artindale

wrote:

Hmmm...

Nov 4, 2004: "Are you for or against it? I am FOR it."

Nov 9, 2004 "YES" (In response to the question " What do you think
is the best way to improve safety for cyclists in a city? Why?
1) Mandatory helmet laws for all cyclists with strict enforcement.")

Feb 1, 2005: "If you stop biking just because of this law, than you
are nothing more than a lazy person."

Feb 3, 2005: "Im not for or against the law, just dont understand the
complaining about it."

Oh, and I should include:

Nov 7, 2004: "I think personally too many people are blind to their
own idiocy."

So, you did a search for what I have said before .... Want a hero cookie?

I was biking to work on froday morning.

As i was riding most of the little puddles had some ice on it, due to the
fact that the temp was 0C.

I saw a large wet spot, covering one lane and a good 10m. I biked across

it,
and .... it was ICE.

Because of the normal slope of the road, the bike came out from under me.

My
whole left side smaked the road, HARD. I felt my head bounce.

Like so many of your helmet nazi breathren, you are an incompetent
cyclist and you hit your head a lot (while cycling only).

I am not a nazi in any shape or form.

Micheal Artindale "some one wo comutes to work since march
2003".

"OOPS, I meant March 2004.. sorry."

Whoop-de-****ing-doo. Why would *I* listen to *your* opinion on how
best to avoid head injury?

You do not have to, I was just pointing out a recent personal incedent that
makes me agree with the law.

Now if you'd suggested to me to wear a helmet before going into the
average Toronto basement (which account for the only recent times I
actually *have* hit my head, then I might take your opinions at least
a little bit seriously.

Its your own stupidity to buy a 100 yr old house in toronto for over
$300,000 and have low ceilings.

The funny thing about your yarn is that I've noticed that even on
mornings where the sidewalks and streets are completely covered with
ice (we had quite a few of these in Toronto this Winter), where
everyone is slipping left, right and center and some are falling on
their asses, I have *never* seen *any* non-cyclist don a helmet, even
though you nazis have repeatedly asserted "there's no reason not to
wear one".

Walking is slightly different. You can quickly and safely change course and
direction, ie, avoid the bad spot, had I tried to on friday, I would have
been hit by a motorist.

Do you helmet nazis never walk or drive? I think not.

I drove, and I wore my seatbelt. I walk alot.

So much for that supposed concern for yourselves, your families and
the cost to the public health system that you continually bleat on
about.

Lucky for me, I was wearing a helmet. Had I not, I would not be here

typing
this, instead I would be in a hospital hooked up to some machines.

Do you have any (real) evidence of this?

I hit at such a force that i was dazed for a few seconds... That is my
evidence. Also, my shoulder that hit the ground was sore yseterday. The last
time it got that sore from biking was when I was struck by a motorist going
80 km/hr(their mirror hit me.)

I checked my helmet for damage, but found none, however, next pay, I will
get a new one.

Okay, I'll admit it, I laughed at "Next pay".

Sorry, I do not have lots of disposable income, so, this friday, which is my
pay day, I will be going to get a new helmet.

Helmets do save lives, and do prevent major injury.

Do you have any (real) evidence of this?

Yes, no physical damage to my head.

Even If it is not law, I will be wearing one.

My February diagnosis of you and your ilk still stands.

"For facile specimens such as Micheal Artindale, clearly it has little
or nothing to do with the merits of helmets, helmets laws or issues
surrounding cycling in general and everything to do with
self-righteous control freakery.

I dont say that you have to do it, All I am saying it that when it passes, I
will abide by it, and I will be one who does agree with it.

The sneering contempt and derision that they so readily display
towards those who don't share their authoritarian streak reveals how
remarkably hollow their supposed concern for others really is.

They make for the ideal politician or present day cycling 'advocate'."

I have thought about running for office........

Micheal