Cycle Safety Quizz

Old October 9th 05, 12:35 PM
Bertie Wiggins

Default Cycle Safety Quizz

I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
Standards Cycle Trainees.

Its main purpose is to be educational, not radical or controversial.

The question should lead to the correct answer, so a multiple choice
style seems appropriate.

Here are a few questions and answers I have in mind. Can anyone
improve the wording or add to them? Perhaps, when complete, someone
with more advanced IT skills than me could turn this into an
interactive online quiz.

================

Link the two halves of the sentences:

Performing a maintenance check before you ride - can reduce the
severity of a head injury.

Professional cycle training - can make you a safer cyclist.

Wearing a helmet - can make you more visible to other road users.

Wearing a light coloured or reflective clothing - can reduce the
risk of mechanical failure.

===============

Tick the correct answer:

Mandatory cycle lanes are marked by a solid white line in the main
carrigway. Optional cycle lanes are marked by a dashed white line in
the main carrigway.

Mandatory means:

a) Cyclists must use them and motorists must stay out.
b) Cyclists may use them and motorists must stay out.
c) Cyclists must use them and motorists may use them.
d) Cyclists may use them and motorists may use them.

Optional means:

a) Cyclists must use them and motorists must stay out.
b) Cyclists may use them and motorists must stay out.
c) Cyclists must use them and motorists may use them.
d) Cyclists may use them and motorists may use them.

When passing a parked vehicle you should:

a) Stay as close to it as possible so other road users can pass you.
b) Keep a door's width away from it in case the door is opened.
c) Pass the car by going onto the pavement.
d) Check that no one is about to open the door before passing it.

The primary cycling position is in the centre of the left carriageway.
The secondary cycling position is at least a metre from the left side
of the left carriageway.

You should use the primary cycling position:

a) All the time.
b) When you don't think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass
you in the same carriageway.
c) Only if you think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass you
in the same carriageway.
d) Never

You should use the secondary cycling position:

a) All the time.
b) When you don't think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass
you in the same carriageway.
c) Only if you think that it would be safe for vehicles to pass you
in the same carriageway.
d) Never

Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
paths which have signs and clear path markings.

Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists always have right of way.
b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

When passsing a side road on a shared use cycle path or cycle lane
where are the main hazards?

a) Ahead only.
b) Ahead and left.
c) Ahead, left and right.
d) Ahead, left, right and behind right.

When passing a side road in the primary cycling position on the left
carriageway where are the main hazards?

a) Ahead only.
b) Ahead and left.
c) Ahead, left and right.
d) Ahead, left, right and behind right.

===============

Number, in order of hazard to cyclists in London, the following:

a) Vehicle drivers running into the front of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.
b) Vehicle drivers turning left at road junctions or side roads and
hitting cyclists in the secondary cycling position.
c) Parked vehicle doors being opened by a driver or passenger into
the path of a cyclist passing too close to the side of vehicle.
d) Vehicle drivers running into the back of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.

Number, in order of safety, the following.

a) Wearing a correctly fitting cycle helmet.
b) Cycling in a position where you can see other road users clearly
and other road users can see you clearly.
c) Wearing light coloured or reflective clothing.
d) Performing a daily maintenance check of your bicycle.
Old October 9th 05, 02:59 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Bertie Wiggins
') wrote:

Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
paths which have signs and clear path markings.

Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists always have right of way.
b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

I have to confess I don't know the answer to that one, and I suspect most
users of such paths don't either. If pressed to give an answer I would
guess that pedestrians always have right of way.

A related question is 'on a cycle path, should you pass to the left of
oncoming traffic or to the right?' My guess is that you should pass on
the left, as you do on a road, but it has to be said that this view does
not seem to be shared by many, and at a recent mountain bike event which
used the same fire road for both inbound and outbound cyclists there
were regular, prominent 'keep right' signs!

.::;===r==\
/ /___||___\____
//==\- ||- | /__\( MS Windows IS an operating environment.
//____\__||___|_// \|: C++ IS an object oriented programming language.
\__/ ~~~~~~~~~ \__/ Citroen 2cv6 IS a four door family saloon.

Old October 9th 05, 05:01 PM
Rich

"Bertie Wiggins" wrote in message
I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
Standards Cycle Trainees.

Its main purpose is to be educational, not radical or controversial.

The question should lead to the correct answer, so a multiple choice
style seems appropriate.

Here are a few questions and answers I have in mind.

How about letting us know what you think the right answers are?

Old October 9th 05, 05:03 PM
Ian Smith

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005, Simon Brooke wrote:
in message , Bertie Wiggins
') wrote:

Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
paths which have signs and clear path markings.

Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists always have right of way.
b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

a and b are true. I suspect the poster meant something other
than 'right of way', however.

If there are markings, cyclists may only ride on the marked side.
Pedestrians can wander wherever they like.

No-one has the right to barge anyone out of the way in any
circumstance, however. I think that would be assault.

regards, Ian SMith
--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 9th 05, 05:26 PM
Bertie Wiggins

Default Cycle Safety Quiz

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 14:59:20 +0100, Simon Brooke
wrote:

Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
paths which have signs and clear path markings.

Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists always have right of way.
b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

I have to confess I don't know the answer to that one, and I suspect most
users of such paths don't either. If pressed to give an answer I would
guess that pedestrians always have right of way.

I explain to trainees that in the same way they should be able to
expect to ride on roads without drivers running into them, pedestrians
should expect to use the footway without cyclists running into them,
thefore pedestrians always have right of way on shared use paths and
that path markings have little meaning other than a suggestion to
cyclists and pedestrians.
Old October 9th 05, 05:54 PM
Bertie Wiggins

') wrote:

Shared use footpaths are used by pedestrians and cyclists. There are
two main types. Paths which have signs but no clear markings and
paths which have signs and clear path markings.

Who has right of way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists always have right of way.
b) Pedestrians always have right of way.
c) Pedestrians have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.
d) Cyclists have right of way unless there are clear path markings
when they only have right of way on their side of the path.

a and b are true. I suspect the poster meant something other
than 'right of way', however.

How can I word it to make it technically correct?

=====

Who should give way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists should always give way.
b) Pedestrians should always give way.
c) Pedestrians should only give way on the cyclists' side.
d) Cyclists should only give way on the pedestrians' side.

=====
Old October 9th 05, 06:06 PM
Bertie Wiggins

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005 16:01:07 GMT, "Rich"
wrote:

How about letting us know what you think the right answers are?

It could provoke a flamefest, which is not the intent.

====================

Link the two halves of the sentences:

Performing a maintenance check before you ride can reduce the
risk of mechanical failure. - can reduce the severity of a head
injury.

Professional cycle training can make you a safer cyclist. - can make
you a safer cyclist.

Wearing a helmet can reduce the severity of a head injury. - can make
you more visible to other road users.

Wearing a light coloured or reflective clothing can make you more
visible to other road users. - can reduce the risk of mechanical
failure.

===============

[...]

4 a) Vehicle drivers running into the front of a cyclist riding in
the primary cycling position.
2 b) Vehicle drivers turning left at road junctions or side roads and
hitting cyclists in the secondary cycling position.
1 c) Parked vehicle doors being opened by a driver or passenger into
the path of a cyclist passing too close to the side of vehicle.
3 d) Vehicle drivers running into the back of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.

Number, in order of safety, the following.

4 a) Wearing a correctly fitting cycle helmet.
1 b) Cycling in a position where you can see other road users clearly
and other road users can see you clearly.
2 c) Wearing light coloured or reflective clothing.
3 d) Performing a daily maintenance check of your bicycle.
Old October 9th 05, 06:49 PM
Ian Smith

On Sun, 09 Oct 2005, Bertie Wiggins wrote:
On 09 Oct 2005 16:03:50 GMT, Ian Smith wrote:

a and b are true. I suspect the poster meant something other
than 'right of way', however.

How can I word it to make it technically correct?

=====

Who should give way on shared use footpaths?

a) Cyclists should always give way.

Yes, if a collision will otherwise occur.

b) Pedestrians should always give way.

Yes, if a collision will otherwise occur.

Depends on the meaning of 'should' - neither type of user should cause
a collision if they can avoid it, and deliberately doing so is
probably assault.

c) Pedestrians should only give way on the cyclists' side.
d) Cyclists should only give way on the pedestrians' side.

Cyclists are not legally permitted on the pedestrians side.

How about asking the same thing in a slightly different way:

On segregated shared use tracks, which of the following is true:
a) Pedestrians must keep to the pedestrian side of the line
b) Cyclists must keep to the side intended for cyclists
c) Pedestrians should give way to cyclists wherever they are
d) Pedestrians must give way to cyclists on the cyclist side

(the answer being b, Highways Act 1835 sect 72)

On unsegregated tracks, which of the following is NOT advice in the
highway code
a) take care when passing pedestrians and allow plenty of room
b) be prepared to slow down if necessary when passing pedestrians
c) be prepared to stop if necessary to allow pedestrians past
d) always ring your bell or shout to pedestrians before you pass

(the answer being d, rule 48)

regards, Ian SMith

--
|\ /| no .sig
|o o|
Old October 9th 05, 07:11 PM
Bertie Wiggins

On 09 Oct 2005 17:49:14 GMT, Ian Smith wrote:

How about asking the same thing in a slightly different way:

On segregated shared use tracks, which of the following is true:
a) Pedestrians must keep to the pedestrian side of the line
b) Cyclists must keep to the side intended for cyclists
c) Pedestrians should give way to cyclists wherever they are
d) Pedestrians must give way to cyclists on the cyclist side

(the answer being b, Highways Act 1835 sect 72)

On unsegregated tracks, which of the following is NOT advice in the
highway code
a) take care when passing pedestrians and allow plenty of room
b) be prepared to slow down if necessary when passing pedestrians
c) be prepared to stop if necessary to allow pedestrians past
d) always ring your bell or shout to pedestrians before you pass

(the answer being d, rule 48)

I like them - especially as the answers relate to rules.
Old October 10th 05, 10:33 AM

Bertie Wiggins wrote:
I'm thinking of compiling a 'Cycle Safety Quiz' for my National
Standards Cycle Trainees.

Some comments on points that I haven't already seen from others below.

I think it would help if you summarised the point you are trying to
make with each question. You'll get the argument raging anyway and you
can still pick out the messages you find helpful at the end of it all.

best wishes
james

================

Link the two halves of the sentences:SNIP

Too subjective and open to disagreement? You could ask something like
"which of the following could help prevent an accident?
maintenance
training
helmet
which makes the point that helmets are a secondary device to mitigate
outcomes rather than reduce accident frequency

===============

Tick the correct answer:

Mandatory cycle lanes are marked by a solid white line in the main
carrigway. Optional cycle lanes are marked by a dashed white line in
the main carrigway.

I think Advisory rather than Optional is more accurate. Given the
level of understanding and compliance shown by most road users is it
worth labouring the point? Useful advice is surely "Don't assume that
traffic will comply with cycle lane markings"?

When passing a parked vehicle you should:

yup. Is it worth saying anytrhing about not diving inwards /between/
parked vehicles

The primary cycling position is in the centre of the left carriageway.

Should this be the middle of the /appropriate/ lane for your route.
This is often the left lane but not always
The secondary cycling position is at least a metre from the left side
of the left carriageway.

Again, a subtle distinction but lane position should be defined in
terms of vehicle tracks not the kerb

When passsing a side road on a shared use cycle path or cycle lane
where are the main hazards?

a) Ahead only.
b) Ahead and left.
c) Ahead, left and right.
d) Ahead, left, right and behind right.

I didn't feel clear on what you meant the junction geometry to be, let
alone any road markings or other indicators of RoW. I think a diagram
will be required

When passing a side road in the primary cycling position on the left
carriageway where are the main hazards?

ojk, I start to recognise the point you are making here but I think a
diagram will make the point clearer

Number, in order of hazard to cyclists in London, the following:

woolly wording, do you mean greatest chance of an accident, greatest
chance of KSI, or something else? I believe C causes teh greatest
number of reported injuries and left turning HGVs cause the greatest
number of fatalities although I am not sure of there is a correlation
specifically with secondary position. It seems you are trying to make
too many points he Primary position is not dangerous; don't filter
on teh left, esp HGVs, watch out for doors. I would seperate the
questions

a) Vehicle drivers running into the front of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.
b) Vehicle drivers turning left at road junctions or side roads and
hitting cyclists in the secondary cycling position.
c) Parked vehicle doors being opened by a driver or passenger into
the path of a cyclist passing too close to the side of vehicle.
d) Vehicle drivers running into the back of a cyclist riding in the
primary cycling position.

Number, in order of safety, the following.

again, wtf does "order of safety mean"?