bar-end shifters

Old January 7th 06, 02:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Default bar-end shifters

Dane Buson wrote:
...Will the fork bend in a panic stop? [3]

You have to break the frame while braking to match Chalo!

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 7th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Ken Pisichko wrote:
Jim wrote:

Is the 520 the only modern bicycle equipped with bar-end shifters?

Greenspeed trikes are not exactly bicycles, but they come with bar-end
shifters.

Bar-ends are the best shifters for recumbent bikes, trikes and quads
with "side-stick" under seat steering (USS).

--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old January 7th 06, 02:31 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On 6 Jan 2006 17:52:22 -0800, "Ozark Bicycle"
wrote:
Why would _anyone_ opt for the more expensive, less flexible, less
reliable, non-serviceable option (i.e., brifters)? Unless, of course,
they were a sponsored racer.

Funny, very good parody of the RBR anti-"hip person" Very funny.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 7th 06, 02:36 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
Why would _anyone_ opt for the more expensive, less flexible, less
reliable, non-serviceable option (i.e., brifters)? Unless, of course,
they were a sponsored racer.

Funny, very good parody of the RBR anti-"hip person" Very funny.

And you are a parody of what? A mindless, marketing-manipulated
zipperhead?

Old January 7th 06, 02:37 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

"Dane Buson" wrote in message
In rec.bicycles.misc P Kl wrote:

The problem is all your mates could have integrated shifters and they
will
tell you how fantastic they are so you may end up wanting to change . The
doubt is already in your mind about not having the integrated shifters.I
personally would prefer the barcons.

Feh, I did my first ten thousand miles on a bike with brifters. I like
them okay. The replacement bike I bought (Surly Crosscheck) came with
barcons as standard. It took me a day or two to adjust, and I haven't
felt any need to switch back. The durability/simplicity angle is great
for commuting, especially since I tend to destroy things as a matter of
course.

I have one bike with brifters, another one with barcons. I prefer the
brifters, but the barcons are fine with me. Every so once in a while I space
it and shift the air, expecting something to be there that isn't. Otherwise,
it's easy to switch back and forth between the two.

--
Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
http://www.bicyclemeditations.org/
See the books I've set free at:

Old January 7th 06, 02:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

Thanks for the replies clarifying things for me.

The economics is wicked. Bar-end shifters are supposed to be cheaper
than integrated shifters, but the bar-end-shifters-equipped (boutique)
bicycles are more expensive. I think even the 520 is over-priced.

It is also interesting the Portland commuter from Trek is not spec'd
with
bar-end shifters. I think they are not as marketable as "new and
better"
integrated shifters.

-Jim

Gooserider wrote:
"Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...
Hello there,

I was reading the Trek Web site, and found the 520 comes with bar-end
shifters.
What benefits do the Shimano Dura-Ace bar-end shifters offer, compared
with
modern integrated shifters? Is the 520 the only modern bicycle equipped
with
bar-end shifters?

Thanks in advance.

-Jim

Rivendell equips all their bikes with bar-end shifters, as does Bruce
Gordon, I think. Bar-end shifters are pretty cool, IMHO. Nice to know it's
going to work every time.

Old January 7th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

"Ozark Bicycle" wrote in message
oups.com...

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
I read this thread and am amazed at the number of riders who are in
such remote, mission critical situations with their bikes that the
added reliability of bar-ends over integrated brake/shifters is a big
factor.

Why would _anyone_ opt for the more expensive, less flexible, less
reliable, non-serviceable option (i.e., brifters)? Unless, of course,
they were a sponsored racer.

I am amazed at the number of riders who are brainwashed into thinking
brifters are the only way to go.

I agree that Shimano STI/Campy Ergo levers aren't the "only" way to go. They
are also more expensive than bar-ends or dt shifters.

Further, not all "brifters" are "non-serviceable". Campy ergo levers can be
easily repaired.

Can you explain why "brifters" are less *less flexible" than bar-ends or dt
shifters?

One possible reason people like "brifters" over barends or dt shifters is
the positioning or *fit* of the levers. That is, the fact that the shifters
are located on the brake levers do make some feel shifting is easier and
faster than other types of shifters.

The fact that "pro racers" use them probably helps sales too. After all, the
mfrs continue to sell the "race on Sunday, sell on Monday" mentality, so I
bet many "wanna-be like Lance" types will only get "brifters" for that
reason and result in them out selling bar-ends by 1000-1.

Bottom line, what ever shifter works for you, be it bar-ends/dt/or glup,
briftes, then that's what you need to ride. If others prefer "brifters", so
be it. Your constant complaining isn't going to make one iota of
difference...

Old January 7th 06, 04:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

John Forrest Tomlinson writes:

I call bull**** on that.

What, are we in 7th grade or something?

Once again you seem to be seeking an argument. What's up with that?
Old January 7th 06, 04:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:

John Forrest Tomlinson wrote:
I read this thread and am amazed at the number of riders who are in
such remote, mission critical situations with their bikes that the
added reliability of bar-ends over integrated brake/shifters is a big
factor.

Why would _anyone_ opt for the more expensive, less flexible, less
reliable, non-serviceable option (i.e., brifters)? Unless, of course,
they were a sponsored racer.

I am amazed at the number of riders who are brainwashed into thinking
brifters are the only way to go.

And I'm always amazed at riders that don't like brifters, thinking
that those of us who do, are misguided racer wannabes.

You like barcons, that's fine, I like brifters, why is that so hard to
accept. They are both good choices.

In the big picture bicycles don't cost all that much. People go to a
show and out to dinner, for what I spent on my 9-speed DA STI
shifters.

I bought a 2002 LeMond Tourmalet, in 2003. A year later, I upgraded
everything but the fork and brake calipers. I had Peter build me a set
of wheels, I keep the original set as backup. What I did was make the
bike my own. I love the bike, I ride it a lot and I wanted what I
considered to be, if not the best, while than close to it. If I could
afford it, I'd buy a high end frame and go from there. But, I can't so
my steel Lemond with carbon fiber and DA 9-speed is special to me.
The bike just screams "ride me"! Isn't that worth a few more dollars?

Jeffrey Starr
All rights to the above text is reserved. No use
outside of rec.bicycle.tech, without express written
permission.