Wildlife moments

Old April 12th 07, 01:02 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

Default Wildlife moments

Latest wildlife moments:

Over the Easter weekend I was staying in a bunkhouse near Brecon and
managed to get a bit of cycling in. Shooting along the foot of Pen Y
Fan, I glanced left into the wooded stream to my left to see a buzzard
perched on a branch that far away from me. We looked at each other
and it flew off.

Last night cycling home down a country lane, something caught my eye.
I glanced towards the verge to see a fast bird flying along at nought
feet, hugging the ground profile. I was doing about 25km/h and it was
going faster than me and then it whizzed over a hedge. Dead sure it
was a bird of prey of some sort - either a kestrel or (hopefully) a
sparrow hawk. It wasn't doing the kestrel hovering thing, but I guess
they're not _always_ doing that. Do they do the flying along at nought
feet thing?

And back in the Brecon Beacons, we were cycling along the towpath of
Monmouth and Brecon canal. We met a couple coming the other way. We
moved left, they moved left. She watched the canal rather than the tow
path and was soon a wet victim of target fixation. Wild, too. I didn't
know pretty ladies knew words like that.

Tim
Old April 12th 07, 01:16 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Brian G

Tim Hall wrote:

Last night cycling home down a country lane, something caught my eye.
I glanced towards the verge to see a fast bird flying along at nought
feet, hugging the ground profile. I was doing about 25km/h and it was
going faster than me and then it whizzed over a hedge. Dead sure it
was a bird of prey of some sort - either a kestrel or (hopefully) a
sparrow hawk. It wasn't doing the kestrel hovering thing, but I guess
they're not _always_ doing that. Do they do the flying along at nought
feet thing?

They're fantastic fliers and can do almost anything in the flying way,
but your description reads much more sparrow-hawkish than kestrelish.

--
Brian G
www.wetwo.co.uk
Old April 12th 07, 01:26 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
al Mossah

On 12 Apr, 13:02, Tim Hall wrote:

a fast bird flying along at nought
feet, hugging the ground profile. I was doing about 25km/h and it was
going faster than me and then it whizzed over a hedge. Dead sure it
was a bird of prey of some sort - either a kestrel or (hopefully) a
sparrow hawk.

Sounds like a sparrowhawk. I once followed one along the country lane
for about half a mile; every time I turned a corner, I saw it in the
distance, seemingly flying very low but not that fast; either that, or
every time it went around the corner from me it stopped to let me
catch up a bit.

Buzzards! Surprised one of those the other day as I came around a
corner. It had a similar affect on me.

And a couple of weeks ago I saw what looked like a buzzard, but seemed
to have a blueish grey head with perhaps slightly longer wings. I
wondered about a harrier, but the pictures didn't seem to match. Also
there was no jet noise.

Peter.

Old April 12th 07, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Roger Merriman

Tim Hall wrote:

Latest wildlife moments:

Over the Easter weekend I was staying in a bunkhouse near Brecon and
managed to get a bit of cycling in. Shooting along the foot of Pen Y
Fan, I glanced left into the wooded stream to my left to see a buzzard
perched on a branch that far away from me. We looked at each other
and it flew off.

get kites and peregrine falcons as well.

go though the gap? old pre roman road rides up the valley and though to
nr breacon its a great ride though suspention is wise, me and some mates
did it pre springs, and was hoot but very rought!

Last night cycling home down a country lane, something caught my eye.
I glanced towards the verge to see a fast bird flying along at nought
feet, hugging the ground profile. I was doing about 25km/h and it was
going faster than me and then it whizzed over a hedge. Dead sure it
was a bird of prey of some sort - either a kestrel or (hopefully) a
sparrow hawk. It wasn't doing the kestrel hovering thing, but I guess
they're not _always_ doing that. Do they do the flying along at nought
feet thing?

probably a sparrow hawk, or if your very lucky a merlin, quite small and
very fast and insanly nimble.

And back in the Brecon Beacons, we were cycling along the towpath of
Monmouth and Brecon canal. We met a couple coming the other way. We
moved left, they moved left. She watched the canal rather than the tow
path and was soon a wet victim of target fixation. Wild, too. I didn't
know pretty ladies knew words like that.

heh, waters not so clean either.

Tim

roger
Old April 12th 07, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Phil Cook

Roger Merriman wrote:

Tim Hall wrote:

Latest wildlife moments:

Over the Easter weekend I was staying in a bunkhouse near Brecon and
managed to get a bit of cycling in. Shooting along the foot of Pen Y
Fan, I glanced left into the wooded stream to my left to see a buzzard
perched on a branch that far away from me. We looked at each other
and it flew off.

Last night cycling home down a country lane, something caught my eye.
I glanced towards the verge to see a fast bird flying along at nought
feet, hugging the ground profile.

probably a sparrow hawk, or if your very lucky a merlin, quite small and
very fast and insanly nimble.

Yeah, I'd go with the spuggie hawk. They hunt in open woodland and
have the agility and manouverability to the zero feet thing. I once
looked up from battling a headwind to see one on a fencepost as I
passed. I've escorted a cuckoo down Glen Strathfarrar in Scotland, it
flew from post to post to branch for some distance as I cycled down
the glen after closing time. [1] Also on that ride was the red deer
running alongside and across the road, pretty scary when you are
clattering downhill.

[1] GS is a private road and they lock the gate to bar motorised
access outwith the working day.
Old April 13th 07, 08:13 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dave Larrington

In ,
Tim Hall tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Over the Easter weekend I was staying in a bunkhouse near Brecon and
managed to get a bit of cycling in. Shooting along the foot of Pen Y
Fan, I glanced left into the wooded stream to my left to see a buzzard
perched on a branch that far away from me. We looked at each other
and it flew off.

Unbuzzardly behaviour, that! They're supposed to /eat/ cyclists, or at
least their hats...

--
Dave Larrington
http://www.legslarry.beerdrinkers.co.uk

Old April 13th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tim Hall

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 08:13:07 +0100, "Dave Larrington"
wrote:

In ,
Tim Hall tweaked the Babbage-Engine to
tell us:

Over the Easter weekend I was staying in a bunkhouse near Brecon and
managed to get a bit of cycling in. Shooting along the foot of Pen Y
Fan, I glanced left into the wooded stream to my left to see a buzzard
perched on a branch that far away from me. We looked at each other
and it flew off.

Unbuzzardly behaviour, that! They're supposed to /eat/ cyclists, or at
least their hats...

These were buzzards of a tarty nature, spending their time showing
off, gliding around, or playing with Red Kites.

Either that or it wasn't interested because I didn't have a hat on.
How does one get a Stetson to stay on while whizzing down the A470 on
a magenta bicycle?

Tim
Old April 15th 07, 08:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Tim Hall
') wrote:

Last night cycling home down a country lane, something caught my eye.
I glanced towards the verge to see a fast bird flying along at nought
feet, hugging the ground profile. I was doing about 25km/h and it was
going faster than me and then it whizzed over a hedge. Dead sure it
was a bird of prey of some sort - either a kestrel or (hopefully) a
sparrow hawk. It wasn't doing the kestrel hovering thing, but I guess
they're not _always_ doing that. Do they do the flying along at nought
feet thing?

No, but sparrow hawks frequently do. I don't think kestrels normally fly
fast in powered flight, either - so I'd put that one down as a sparrow
hawk.

;; Diplomacy, American: see Intelligence, Military

KH Moments VS Profiles Probailer2 Unicycling 0 January 29th 07 07:13 PM
KH Moments VS Profiles Borgschulze Unicycling 0 January 29th 07 05:02 PM
RR: One of Those Moments in the World Corvus Corvax Mountain Biking 1 May 4th 06 03:15 PM
Best moments of Game 1 crit pro Racing 4 October 13th 04 10:43 PM
[OT] CONservation hooligans at work, RSPB, WT, WWT, SNH slaughtering wildlife by the million while claiming to protect wildlife. Mark Thompson UK 2 February 22nd 04 05:59 PM