Rebuilding Vitus 979 - any tips?

Old February 16th 08, 12:35 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spokes[_2_]

Default Rebuilding Vitus 979 - any tips?

Just picked up a frame and about to start sticking bits on it. I've found
out about the 25mm seatpost (groan) - any other heffalump traps awaiting me?
Any tips generally about putting a bike together from the frame up? Any
advice much appreciated.

Old February 16th 08, 06:17 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
David Damerell

Quoting spokes :
Just picked up a frame and about to start sticking bits on it. I've found
out about the 25mm seatpost (groan) - any other heffalump traps awaiting me?

Oddball BB thread? Always good for a laugh, especially when you remember
one side is left-hand thread only it's not because it's Italian, and by
the time you realise you've done the damn thing up tighter than anything.
--
David Damerell Distortion Field!
Today is Second Wednesday, February.
Old February 16th 08, 07:19 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
pete whelan

spokes wrote:
Just picked up a frame and about to start sticking bits on it. I've found
out about the 25mm seatpost (groan) - any other heffalump traps awaiting me?
Any tips generally about putting a bike together from the frame up? Any
advice much appreciated.

25mm seat post is easy - some of the USE posts come in that size,
otherwise try a bike jumble in your area. BB will be either English or
Italian. When I had my Vitus it was English thread. Make sure the
joints on the lugs don't creak - sign of the adhesive giving way
Old February 16th 08, 08:02 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

Pete Whelan wrote:
spokes wrote:
Just picked up a frame and about to start sticking bits on it. I've
found out about the 25mm seatpost (groan) - any other heffalump
traps awaiting me? Any tips generally about putting a bike together
from the frame up? Any advice much appreciated.

What size rear hub does it take? 130mm?

25mm seat post is easy - some of the USE posts come in that size,
otherwise try a bike jumble in your area.

Some very good ITM posts were 25.0 as well. Look out for an ITM Big One or
Millenium on the second-hand market.

~PB

Old February 16th 08, 08:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , spokes
says...
Just picked up a frame and about to start sticking bits on it. I've found
out about the 25mm seatpost (groan)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=160207150599

If you're not bothered about using period parts then 25.0mm shouldn't be
a problem:

http://wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetail.as...dID=5300001914

http://www.evanscycles.com/product.jsp?style=12895
(also available with red or blue anodising)

- any other heffalump traps awaiting me?
Any tips generally about putting a bike together from the frame up? Any
advice much appreciated.

I guess you already know that these are bendy frames with a reputation
(possibly undeserved) for coming unglued. They're rather pretty though.
Old February 16th 08, 09:00 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Rob Morley

In article , Pete Biggs
says...

What size rear hub does it take? 130mm?

126mm was state of the art in those days.
Old February 16th 08, 09:51 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

Pete Biggs wrote:

Pete Whelan wrote:
spokes wrote:
Just picked up a frame and about to start sticking bits on it. I've
found out about the 25mm seatpost (groan) - any other heffalump
traps awaiting me? Any tips generally about putting a bike together
from the frame up? Any advice much appreciated.

What size rear hub does it take? 130mm?

25mm seat post is easy - some of the USE posts come in that size,
otherwise try a bike jumble in your area.

Some very good ITM posts were 25.0 as well. Look out for an ITM Big One
or Millenium on the second-hand market.

I'd rate the Alien clamp above all others. Doesn't slip like a conventional
single bolt, much lighter than any two bolt, easy to adjust. The aluminium
alien is very good value for money.

;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

Old February 16th 08, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
spokes[_2_]

I guess you already know that these are bendy frames with a reputation
(possibly undeserved) for coming unglued. They're rather pretty though.

Thanks for all reponses. Yes, I did a little googling around before buying
it...on one forum group someone had posted 'Vitus - isn't that French for
'wet noodle'?' But at 11 stone, I'm hoping I won't test its rigidity too
much; people who love them sem to *really* love them; and it was just too
damn pretty to resist.

Good to know that if push comes to shove 25mm posts are gettable. Oh, by the
way, the rear hub is 130mm, which is good, and everything feels very firm -
no squeeky joins or anything like that. Thanks again.

Old February 16th 08, 02:57 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Mark T[_2_]

spokes writtificated

Just picked up a frame and about to start sticking bits on it. I've
found out about the 25mm seatpost (groan) - any other heffalump traps
awaiting me? Any tips generally about putting a bike together from the
frame up? Any advice much appreciated.

Front fork dropout spacing might be a tad less than modern bikes. Sheldon
has info on the different sizes, but you should be able to force the hubs
in anyway.
Old February 16th 08, 03:17 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Pete Biggs

spokes wrote:

Good to know that if push comes to shove 25mm posts are gettable. Oh,
by the way, the rear hub is 130mm, which is good,

In that case I don't think you'll have any problems fitting moden
components. Good luck with the build. More importantly, good luck with the
glue! :-)

~PB

Rebuilding Pedals Bob C Australia 3 September 12th 07 07:55 AM
Rebuilding Handlebars Pilgrim Techniques 7 March 2nd 07 01:16 PM
Saddle Rebuilding Eroick Unicycling 11 November 7th 05 09:33 AM
Wheel Rebuilding TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 16 January 1st 04 10:55 AM
rebuilding my wheel U-Turn Unicycling 16 September 5th 03 01:16 AM