Lance on Leno

Old September 3rd 04, 04:13 AM
Leo Lichtman

"GaryT" wrote: (clip) What's funny in this joke?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I guess it depends on your point of view. Maybe if you were a
terrorist...... Or just a jerk.

Old September 3rd 04, 04:34 AM
Dan Daniel

On Thu, 2 Sep 2004 19:18:10 -0400, "GaryT"
wrote:

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message
Q: What do you call 3000 dead Americans in the twin towers?
A: A start.

LOL

Help a simple, unassuming man, like myself, out if you would. What's funny
in this joke?

The first time I heard a joke like this, it was, 'What do you call
1,000 lawyers at the bottom of the Pacific? A good start.'

If you had never heard the lawyer version of this 'joke,' I can
imagine there being not one hint of humor. I would bet that something
like this joke has used a variety of groups- Jews, blacks, women,
gays, etc. etc. In each case, revulsion should dominate.

Except for the lawyer version, that is.... now *that's* funny!!

Old September 3rd 04, 09:00 AM
Ken Case

wrote:

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message
Q: What do you call 3000 dead Americans in the twin towers?
A: A start.

LOL

Help a simple, unassuming man, like myself, out if you would. What's funny
in this joke?

Nothing at all, as far as I can see.

I posted it after psycho made a "joke" that was offensive to the French (and
challenged the humorless to complain) to show, perhaps, that making "jokes"
about actions where people are slaughtered may or may not be humorous, depending
on your viewpoint.

I first saw this "joke", posted on a humor newsgroup by an American after the
Concorde crash. The German dead were the butt of the "joke". (This was within an
hour of the crash).

Complaints about its inappropriateness brought the expected riposte of lack of
sense of humor.

Unfortunately, the actions of the French, in wanting to obey international law,
and wait until the weapons inspectors had done their job has merely shown the
Americans alleged love of free speech up for the sham it is: "Free speech is
fine, so long as you don't say anything I disagree with"

Of course, Bush didn't dare wait for the weapons inspectors to finish the job.
He wanted the war, and knew perfectly well that there was a very slim chance
that they were going to find any WMD.

So he took the US into an illegal war and has made the world an even more
dangerous place, and the really funny part is that he's using that to get people
to vote for him.

The sad part is that there seem to be tens of millions stupid enough to fall for
him.

KC

Old September 3rd 04, 12:29 PM
Ken Case

On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 00:55:26 -0400, Stephen Harding
wrote:

So he took the US into an illegal war and has made the world an even more
dangerous place, and the really funny part is that he's using that to get people
to vote for him.

The sad part is that there seem to be tens of millions stupid enough to fall for
him.

Yet more political jokes!

That *is* a very good way to describe the people who are taken in by Bush - good
work!

Not many could turn a Leno snippet on Franco-German
rivalries into a diatribe against George Bush.

Interesting that you choose to castigate me when it was actually psycolist who
started the political thing by making offensive jokes about the French.

Not that that was in any way politically motivated of course, oh no.

You seem to have just skipped the actual root of the problem, and zeroed in on a
post that you did not agree with politically.

Some might consider that hypocritical, but I wouldn't dream of making such an
accusation.

KC

Old September 3rd 04, 01:09 PM
Mark Jones

"Ken Case" wrote in message
Unfortunately, the actions of the French, in wanting to obey international
law,
and wait until the weapons inspectors had done their job has merely shown
the
Americans alleged love of free speech up for the sham it is: "Free speech
is
fine, so long as you don't say anything I disagree with"

You can say what you want to and I also have the right to
tell you to shut up. You still have the right to keep right on
talking.

Old September 3rd 04, 05:17 PM
Thomas Reynolds

wrote:

"Mike Beauchamp" wrote in message
Q: What do you call 3000 dead Americans in the twin towers?
A: A start.

[...]

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Tom