Most Vertical Feet in a Year ??

Old September 7th 04, 02:39 PM
Roger Zoul

Terry Morse wrote:
|| Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
||| Even today's 7k of climbing would be a risky endeavor for you!
||| Funny, but heading to the coast via 92, then doing Lobitos etc
||| before Tunitas, then back down 84 to LaHonda and up West Alpine
||| *sounds* like more than 7k. Or not. To you, it just sounds like
||| not enough.
|| Mike, the problem with your described route is too many flat
|| sections. All those hill climbs are great fun, but they're too far
|| apart. To really rack up the vertical efficiently, you need to do
|| hill repeats. I did 3 Old La Hondas today before heading for the
|| refreshing breezes on the coast via 84, then Stage, Pescadero, and
|| Alpine West. Still too many flat miles, but at least it was a little
|| cooler on the coast.
|| Pretty hot on Alpine today, eh? I went through 2 bottles from
|| Pescadero to Skyline and still was dehydrated. Thank goodness for
|| the water faucet at Montebello OSP, and double thank goodness that
|| it was working. Scale says I lost "only" 3 pounds.

Terry - how do you track your climbing, Polar? If so, do you find it
accurate?

Old September 7th 04, 03:28 PM
Terry Morse

Roger Zoul wrote:

Terry - how do you track your climbing, Polar? If so, do you find it
accurate?

Yes, I track my vertical with a Polar 720i. Its cumulative vertical
seems to be very accurate, although the altitude reading appears to
always be low by a couple hundred feet when ascending from sea level
to over 6000 feet. On Clinb to Kaiser, which starts at ~300' and
goes up over 9000', my reading at Kaiser Pass was low by 400'. When
I returned to the start, the altitude reading was accurate again.

Old September 7th 04, 03:35 PM
Roger Zoul

Rick Warner wrote:

[...]

|| Perhaps you can out-market Mongo; if he is hyoing himself to the
|| editors of Bicycling it will probably irritate him to have someone
|| come in with more than double his 'record' :-)
|| See you on the road,
|| - rick warner

I think you both (you and Terry) ought to get in the game...It's cool!

Old September 7th 04, 03:35 PM
Roger Zoul

[...]

Old September 7th 04, 11:05 PM
Rick Warner

Terry Morse wrote in message ...

Thanks, but thanks to Mike J's suggestion, I won't be satisfied
until I hit 200 vertical miles (1,056,000 ft.).

Perhaps a bit odd ;-) Maybe next goal should be in meters.

So far this year I am close to his 'record' from last year
but have been off the bike for most of the past 6 weeks due to a
broken hand (hit head-on by day worker on an old Stumpjumper coming
around a blind curve on the wrong side of the ped bridge between Palo
Alto and Mountain View).

The Wilkie Bridge?

Yep; coming from Mtn View, happened near the Wilkie side; guy came on
fast and on the wrong side. By the time he cleared that redwood tree
at the end and came into view I was almost to that turn and right
against the fence on the right. It was a head-on with my left hand
getting caught between the two bars. That path is narrow, and with
3 more or less blind turns it is sucky design, but convenient to where
I live and much better than El Camino.

But I did OLH twice this weekend; ascending is fine, but the bumps of
descending are a bit tough; it will be a couple of weeks or more
before the hand can handle a Page Mill descent, even on wide/soft
tires.

- rick