What doctors/researchers think about wearing a helmet.

Old November 25th 04, 04:52 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Tony W wrote:

Reading anything substantive while riding a bicycle sounds seriously unsafe.

I tried reading while turbo-training. The unusually upright position
gave me piles, so I concur.
Old November 25th 04, 04:52 PM
Julesh

Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:

snip

account for this:

He/she/it won't. Cos they're just a sad troll!

Julesh
Old November 25th 04, 05:27 PM
LSMike

Yes, stress displacement by wrist guards has long been discussed on
r.s.s.i. In your opinion are you better or worse off with a fracture
higher up the forearm versus a hyper-extended wrist?

Old November 25th 04, 06:33 PM
Alan Braggins

In article 41a60b4b.0@entanet, Zog The Undeniable wrote:
John Doe quoted:

Helmets offer bicyclists aged 0-15 years protection against head
injury.

flippant mode on
Riding a bike at 0 years is bloody impressive. Our daughter is 16
months and can't even walk yet.

Does "bicyclist" include passengers on bicycles? You can get rack mounted
cot/reclined seat things for children who can't sit up yet, e.g.
http://home.tiscali.nl/~t005974/babybike_eng.html
Old November 25th 04, 08:14 PM
Nick Kew

In article ,
John Doe writes:

"Head injury" helmet bicycle

Golly. How about "spinal cord injury" helmet bicycle? Avoids a loaded
phrase that defines itself in terms of helmets.

If you have never used a search engine before,

LOL! [1]

[1] Hmmm, I was on Infoseek's beta programme before they came out.
Long before Altavista, let alone Google. Before that we used Archie
- but that was probably too difficult for morons like you.

--
Nick Kew
Old November 25th 04, 10:55 PM
Julesh

Nick Kew wrote:
In article ,
John Doe writes:

"Head injury" helmet bicycle

Golly. How about "spinal cord injury" helmet bicycle? Avoids a loaded
phrase that defines itself in terms of helmets.

If you have never used a search engine before,

LOL! [1]

[1] Hmmm, I was on Infoseek's beta programme before they came out.
Long before Altavista, let alone Google. Before that we used Archie
- but that was probably too difficult for morons like you.

Yeah, WWW rubbish - what was wrong with Gopher anyway?

Julesh

Old November 25th 04, 11:03 PM
Tony W

"Richard" wrote in message

Reading anything substantive while riding a bicycle sounds seriously

unsafe.

Oh, I don't know - riding a tandem, one could get the stoker to read
exciting exerpts from War & Peace to get you through the more tedious
bits of the ride.

Tandem riding on a turbo trainer sounds terminally boring -- though I guess
you can chat to your stoker.

Old November 25th 04, 11:32 PM
Helen Deborah Vecht

"LSMike" typed

Yes, stress displacement by wrist guards has long been discussed on
r.s.s.i. In your opinion are you better or worse off with a fracture
higher up the forearm versus a hyper-extended wrist?

Possibly worse but what are the figures?

Would skaters skate more carefully if they knew their wrists were unguarded?

--
Helen D. Vecht:
Edgware.
Old November 26th 04, 03:00 AM
James Annan

(yeah I know it's just a troll, but...)

John Doe wrote in message .. .
If you want to read about the benefit of wearing a helmet while
riding a bicycle, all you have to do is research the matter.

Inj Prev. 2003 Sep;9(3):266-7.

Imperial College of Science, Technology and Medicine, London, UK...
The wearing of a cycle helmet is estimated to prevent 60% of head
injuries.

It is interesting to see this cited again. The 60% figure is known to
be wrong, a point which has been acknowledged by the authors, and yet
no correction has been published. In fact, when the data are correctly
analysed (a trivial matter which is not in dispute), it shows almost
the complete opposite - there are huge confounding factors (which are
unknown, and cannot be controlled for) which affect head injury rates
to such an extent that they completely overwhelm any possible
influence of the observed change in helmet wearing. Thus, any link
between helmet wearing and injury rates is at best rather speculative.
The latter has changed by far far more than the former, so cannot
possibly have been greatly influenced by it.

This known error has not to my knowledge been corrected in the
published literature (it can be found on the IP web-site if you know
where to look). This sit uneasily with IP's position on the "Committee
on Publication Ethics", whose guidelines state clearly "Where a
published paper is found to contain major flaws, editors must accept
responsibility for correcting the record prominently and promptly".

I think it's time I sent an email...

James

http://ip.bmjjournals.com/misc/about.shtml
http://www.publicationethics.org.uk/.../gpp.phtml#gpp [8(6)]
Old November 26th 04, 06:02 AM
RogerDodger

David Martin Wrote:
I used to be a little sceptical about the research done by clinicians.
Having now worked with them I now take a Ghandi-esque view of Evidence
Based Medicine..

...d

David -who is the Ghandi in this Ghandi-esque view? can you provide a
link to an outline of this view please?

Roger

--
RogerDodger