The infamous Maggie

Old April 7th 05, 02:38 PM
RonSonic

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:42:01 -0400, "psycholist" wrote:

I just dropped in to see if it was another slow newsday in rec.bicycles.misc
and I see that Maggie is dissing people who have the audacity to wear ...
(hushed gasp) ... cycling-specific clothing like Lance would wear.

Further, I see where she says anyone wearing Lycra in Essex County is likely
to get their ass kicked ... or some such thing.

Well, I've read enough of Maggie's posts over the last several months to
figure she's just having a bad day. At least I hope so. Maggie, what were
you thinking?

Listen, dear ... I don't know a thing about Essex County. I live in
Abbeville County, South Carolina. This is where Lake Secession is located
... that lake being named for the place where folks assembled and decided to
break away from the Union. This is the home and birthplace of the stars and
bars. I ride darned close to 50 miles a day on roads dotted with rusted out
trailers with tattered confederate flags on poles and pit bull terriers
straining at their ropes in the front yards. Here, people don't care to
count much beyond 3 (Dale Ernhart's number) and don't have many more teeth.
I ride and train on these roads daily. I wear whatever jersey is the
cheapest thing on closeout. I don't know who Motorex is, but I'm wearing
their team kit now 'cuz it was on sale for $29 in the Nashbar catalog a
couple of months ago. I also wear some nice Hincapie gear 'cuz Rich
Hincapie gave it to me, personally. I ride hard 'cuz that's the way I like
to ride. Period. (I hate it when people who like to ride slow try to tell
me I don't ride right 'cuz I like to ride fast ... but that seems to happen
all the time. I never see people who ride fast telling people who ride slow
that they don't ride right. It's always the other way around.) I wear
"real" cycling gear 'cuz it facilitates riding hard and being a bit more
aerodynamic and wicking away sweat, etc. I wear "real" cycling shoes 'cuz
they're pretty much essential to proper pedaling mechanics if you care
anything about pedaling efficiency. (Also, if you've never worn a pair of
Sidi cycling shoes ... well, my friend, you're missing out.)

Now, I've dissed all these people amongst whom I ride everyday and I
shouldn't have because the fact is, I've gotten to know many of them.
They're wonderful people. Though I'm riding hard, I wave to every one of
them I see. I've gotten to know them and vice versa. One interesting thing
I've found is that quite a few of them are like the folks in the book "The
Millionairre Next Door." Their little trailer sits on 250 acres and they've
got 200 head of cattle ... and no debt. Many of them are WAY smarter than
the idiots racing around in BMWs with mountains of debt that I knew when I
lived in places like Chicago and Kansas City. And not a single one of them
has ever said a thing to me about being lycra-clad or having shaved legs.
Apparently it bothers you, but not them. What's that about?

I'll ride the way I want to ride and wear what I want to wear when I'm doing
it. I hope that's the answer you get from the guy when you stop him and ask
what his story is.

So what's your story? Who do you think you are?

Well, you are in the South and not New Jersey.

South Carolina doesn't have a reputation for beating hell out of anybody who
isn't in the "right" neighborhood.

Ron
Old April 7th 05, 02:41 PM
RonSonic

On Wed, 6 Apr 2005 22:35:00 -0700, "GaryG" wrote:

While I don't do "centuries" (wassat anyway? Hunnert feet?) or scores or

even
decades, I do a fair amount of spinning (500-600 miles/year) for a guy of

my age
and weight. I have no axe to grind with any cyclist, by any stretch of

the
imagination. But in my neck o' the woods only the kind of folk who ride,

say,
500 miles/week wear spandex. Clips; spiffy space age helmets, spandex
(especially in gaudy colors) ..... they all draw stares and gazes because

are you ready for this? .... because they're unusual.

OK...whatever.

But, would you start a new thread in this newsgroup (which is, after all,
dedicated to cycling) just to point out the "strange sighting" you had of a
guy wearing cycling clothes, and riding a bike in your town?

The more I think about it, the more I think Maggie is really just a
troll...if she's not, she's terminally clueless, or lacks all ability to
communicate effectively.

Think more in terms of her being the sole poster to "alt.support.cycling"

Works for me.

Ron

Old April 7th 05, 03:22 PM
GaryG

wrote:

[...]

That's a good way of looking at it. After her mea culpa this morning, I've
decided she is probably not a troll.

GG

Old April 7th 05, 03:47 PM
Roger Zoul

GaryG wrote:
:: "Michael" wrote in message
:: ...
::: psycholist wrote:
::::
[...]
:::: --
:::: Bob C.
::::
:::: "Of course it hurts. The trick is not minding that it hurts."
:::: T. E. Lawrence (of Arabia)
:::
:::
:::
::: Were we reading the same Maggie? Hmmm ...
:::
::: While I don't do "centuries" (wassat anyway? Hunnert feet?) or
::: scores or even decades, I do a fair amount of spinning (500-600
::: miles/year) for a guy of my age and weight. I have no axe to grind
::: with any cyclist, by any stretch of the imagination. But in my
::: neck o' the woods only the kind of folk who ride, say, 500
::: miles/week wear spandex. Clips; spiffy space age helmets, spandex
::: (especially in gaudy colors) ..... they all draw stares and gazes
::: because .... are you ready for this? .... because they're unusual.
::
:: OK...whatever.
::
:: But, would you start a new thread in this newsgroup (which is, after
:: all, dedicated to cycling) just to point out the "strange sighting"
:: you had of a guy wearing cycling clothes, and riding a bike in your
:: town?
::
:: The more I think about it, the more I think Maggie is really just a
:: troll...if she's not, she's terminally clueless, or lacks all
:: ability to communicate effectively.

She's no troll. I don't think she lacks the ability to communicate
effectively, either, as she said exactly what she wanted to say and it was
understood.

Old April 7th 05, 03:47 PM
bbaka

Bob wrote:

Damn, guy! Four paragraphs to respond to what was I'm sure, even though
you don't quote it, Maggie's playful teasing?
On the subject of shaved legs and lycra let's be honest, ok? Some
people (I don't think Maggie is among them but it really doesn't matter
even if she is) DO question the sexual orientation of any male that not
only wears spandex but also shaves his legs. So what? Personally
speaking, the day I start giving a rat's ass about what people think of
me is the day I'll leave law enforcement and join the fire department.
Everybody likes those guys. ;-)

Regards,
Bob Hunt

Bob,
On this I am with you. Shaving one's legs or any other part of the
anatomy is a waste of time and causes more itching than it is worth.
I know you are going to have fun with this confession but last summer
when I took a lot of kids on group rides they kept complaining that I
was too hairy when I took my shirt off on the really hot days. I wanted
some tan was the main reason, but some of my younger 'fashion police'
got me to trim my chest hair and even shave a spot down the middle.
Your turn to laugh here.
It turned out to be a complete waste of time although they thought I
looked buff for 56, but I itched for about a month until all the hair
grew back.
Moral #1. Don't shave body parts unless there is a really good reason.
Moral #2. Never listen to kids advising you to do something silly.
Moral #3. Try not to let your wife she it or she will be ROTFL.
Bill Baka
Old April 7th 05, 03:51 PM
Roger Zoul

psycholist wrote:
:: 500 to 600 miles a year? I do that in 2 weeks. You may think it's
:: unusual. I think it's unusual that someone who only rides 500 to 600
:: miles a year hangs out in a cycling newsgroup. My neighbors' 4 year
:: old rides more miles than that.

Me too. The guy suffers from the same issue that Maggie does, apparently.

::
:: And though they're gaudy colors, they are visible. That's the point
:: ... though I know that's tough for some folks to understand.
::
:: I do think it's really sad that a fat assed person driving a car
:: with their arm that looks like a Virginia ham resting on the door
:: frame is now considered the norm and an extremely fit person who
:: lives a life that includes lots of exercise and good eating habits
:: is a freak. But this is such an upside down society anymore. I
:: shouldn't be surprised.

Sad, but true. There seem to be many more Virginia-hams types than
extremely-fit types.

::
:: I'm 49 years old, I'm debt free, my children have moved on, my wife
:: and I have a nice life on a farm and I'm free to devote a couple
:: hours a day to what I love ... riding. Oh, I also have a resting
:: hear rate in the 30s and my cardiologist says I have the heart of a
:: healthy 20-something. So if you want to be critical because I wear
:: lycra, and "gaudy" colors and use high-end equipment ... feel free.
:: I won't say I don't give a ****. I do. It bothers me that there are
:: people who participate in this sport who are more shallow and
:: judgemental than the "rednecks" amongst whom I live and ride. I'm
:: gonna dwell on it and fret over it for ... oh ... I'm done.
::
:: Bob C.

Old April 7th 05, 04:07 PM
RonSonic

On Thu, 7 Apr 2005 07:22:18 -0700, "GaryG" wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

Well, not a malignant troll. Obviously she enjoys stirring up conversation, not
a bad thing.

Ron

Old April 7th 05, 04:10 PM
Jeff Starr

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 05:02:23 GMT, Michael wrote:

While I don't do "centuries" (wassat anyway? Hunnert feet?) or scores or even
decades, I do a fair amount of spinning (500-600 miles/year) for a guy of my age
and weight. I have no axe to grind with any cyclist, by any stretch of the
imagination. But in my neck o' the woods only the kind of folk who ride, say,
500 miles/week wear spandex. Clips; spiffy space age helmets, spandex
(especially in gaudy colors) ..... they all draw stares and gazes because ....
are you ready for this? .... because they're unusual.

Ok, where is your neck of the woods?

You say you do a fair amount of spinning for someone yuour age and
weight. Well, if you are over 75, then you do alright. If you are
anywhere under 65, you don't do much. Aand what is this "weight"? If
you are overweight, have you considered riding a whole lot more, with
the idea of losing some of it?

Actually, what determines the type of wear, is not annual miles, but
per ride miles. And that varies, depending upon the rider.

Life is Good!
Jeff
Old April 7th 05, 04:38 PM
maxo

On Wed, 06 Apr 2005 22:42:01 -0400, psycholist wrote:

I'll ride the way I want to ride and wear what I want to wear when I'm
doing it.

Do your momma know you wear them pants?

*wink*

I'm a fellow southerner, and folks don't seem to notice anymore, but in
the eighties, clacking into a general store wearing my Diadora slot cleats
and (gasp) light blue lycra (discussed in an older thread, bad bad idea),
and the other accoutrement of cycling was a bit on the embarrassing side...

Old April 7th 05, 04:41 PM
psycholist

"bbaka" wrote in message
Bob wrote:

[...]

If you're into cycling and do any racing, shaving serves two purposes.
First, if you race, you're going to crash. Cleaning road rash is SERIOUSLY
easier and less painful without having to deal with hair. (Voice of
experience.) Second, massage is more effective and feels much better
without hair getting pulled. (Again, voice off experience.)

If you don't race and train and get massage and all that, you don't know.

I do know plenty of people who don't race and who don't take massage who
still shave their legs because they're trying to fit in with the cyclists
they hang with and/or they aspire to become racers, etc. I don't see
anything wrong with it.

You folks who are so judgemental about this stuff ought to be more concerned
with stuff like people who drive and talk on cell phones, people who drink
and drive, drug addicts ... serious stuff. I suspect what's really in play
here is that y'all are too insecure, too overweight, too unsure about your
own sexuality ... stuff like that. So you try to belittle folks who don't
have those hangups and who have no problem wearing lycra and shaving their
legs because it makes you feel better about your own shortcomings.

Love,
Dr. Phil (NOT!)

PING Maggie - OT wafflycat General 16 March 18th 05 11:02 AM
Maggie, get out and ride (Friday 3/11) Neil Cherry General 2 March 12th 05 03:24 AM
V-Brake to Maggie HS adapter mount!! Checkernuts Unicycling 4 November 20th 04 01:06 AM
For Sale: Maggie H-33 Steel cross over Checkernuts Unicycling 5 September 8th 04 11:35 AM
Wahoo! Maggie Rides!! dazedNcontused Unicycling 16 November 17th 03 08:22 PM