No bikes in the cemetery

Old April 8th 05, 07:01 PM
Olebiker

Default No bikes in the cemetery

My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
bike to visit his grave.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Old April 8th 05, 07:44 PM
Neil Brooks

"Olebiker" wrote:

My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
bike to visit his grave.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Hey, Dick....

My condolences to you and Mr. Brinkley's family for the loss . . . our
loss.
Old April 9th 05, 12:51 AM
Tom Keats

In article . com,
"Olebiker" writes:
My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

I'll echo Neil's sentiments; I'm sorry about the loss
of your good friend.

Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
bike to visit his grave.

I came across a similar sign earlier this week, only it was
on a park trail. It simply said "Bicycles Not Permitted",
or something to that effect. I wasn't sure if it meant the
mere presence of bicycles wasn't permitted, or if /riding/
was prohibited. I walked my bike on the trail anyway (there
were a couple of other signs - one cautioning to watch out
for wheelchairs, the other saying "Environmentally Sensitive
Area), until I got to another trail after a short stretch,
where cycling was permitted. I didn't even leave tire marks
on the hardpack trail.

I think you should be allowed to at least walk your bike
to the grave, especially if wheelchairs are allowed in
the cemetery. Doubly especially if there are paved lanes
for the public to drive through the cemetery.

again, my condolences,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.
Old April 9th 05, 01:33 AM

Olebiker wrote:
My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted

in
the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
bike to visit his grave.

My guess is that they are afraid of kids stunting on BMX bikes, or of
mountain bikers riding around the lawns. IOW, I'd bet that you
wouldn't get a second look if you sedately biked in for a visit.

A shopping center near here has signs saying "No skateboarding, No
rollerblading, No bicycles." I've ignored it ever since it went up.

Similarly, the university where I teach has signs up forbidding cycling
in the small heart of the campus. Those signs are similarly ignored,
including by faculty, and by the university cops, who have said they
have no intention of enforcing stupid rules.

You have nothing to lose by riding in. At worst, they'll yell at you.
At best, you'll teach them something.

Go honor your friend.

- Frank Krygowski

Old April 9th 05, 02:19 AM
AustinMN

Olebiker wrote:
My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

Austin observes a moment of silence in honor of Matthew Brinkley

Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
bike to visit his grave.

I will echo what Frank said. That sign is for those who are going to cause
the cemetery problems.

I used to routinely bike to my parent's graves (right past the signs that
said "No Bicycles/No Skateboards/No Rollerblades...etc.). No one ever said
a word to me. I now live 1200 miles (2000 Km) from the grave, a bit far to
cycle on a quiet Saturday Morning before everyone else gets up.

Austin
--
I'm pedaling as fast as I durn well please!
There are no X characters in my address

Old April 9th 05, 05:22 PM

In St. Louis, there was a cemetery that enforced the no bicycle signs.
They were informed they could check at the office at the entrance then
they could ride to the grave site. They did not want them to get out
of sight then start to do tricks. If someone were to stop you, and you
gave them a specific name and directions to where you are going, you
should be ok.

Old April 9th 05, 07:31 PM
Claire

Olebiker wrote:

Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted

in
the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
bike to visit his grave.

I am sorry to hear of your loss.

You may be interested in this old thread:
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...f6 77c40292d4

Warm Regards,

Claire Petersky
from the Spokane Public Library this morning!

Old April 10th 05, 01:17 AM
Michael

Olebiker wrote:

My good riding buddy, Matthew Brinkley, was buried this morning. He
took a turn on Wolfpen Gap in North Georgia too fast last Sunday and
laid his hammer down amid the trees that line the road. We were
supposed to go to the Tour de Georgia in a couple of weeks.

Ironically, a sign at the entrance to Roselawn Cemetery here in
Tallahassee where he was buried said that bicycles are not permitted in
the cemetery. I wonder what they would do if they found me riding my
bike to visit his grave.

Dick Durbin
Tallahassee

Management probably doesn't want bicycles going off-road, tearing up soft sod,
and possibly damaging themselves or monuments. One can argue that if cars and
trucks are allowed on cemetery paths, bicycles should also be allowed on
cemetery paths. The late Admiral Edith Hopper had a maxim that has served me
well also; it goes something like "Just do it. It's easier to apologize later
than to get prior permission."
Old April 10th 05, 01:29 AM

On 8 Apr 2005 17:33:47 -0700, wrote:

Olebiker wrote:
[...]

Around here there's a cemetery that is actually frequented by cyclists
quite a bit. There are no signs and it's just become a common site for
local cyclists, because it's kind of hilly and has lots of steep
little climbs. Whenever we go there for rides we call it "Tour de
Tombstone". However, I only see roadies, cars and pedestrians (cars
have to go slowly); I never see BMXers or skateboarders. BMXers prefer
to go to another hangout near a railyard. Anyways, i agree, I think if
you just walk your bike in and out of the cemetery, instead of riding
it, you won't get in trouble.

Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Design News article about bikes [email protected] Techniques 8 January 14th 05 01:07 PM
Danny-boy flails some more! (was: Advice on a good hardtail.) Jonesy Mountain Biking 31 June 18th 04 08:01 PM
Ghost Bikes Garrison Hilliard General 0 June 12th 04 06:31 PM
FAQ Just zis Guy, you know? UK 27 September 5th 03 10:58 PM