Why No Dogs?

Old July 22nd 05, 03:56 PM
C.M. Burns

Default Why No Dogs?

In the few years that I've been able to see live coverage of Tour
stages, I can't ever remember seeing any dogs accompanying any of the
campers/spectators that line the roads.

God knows that it would likely be a recipe for disaster but I've seen
plenty of other stupid/dangerous stuff from the fans so I doubt it
comes down to common sense.
I could not imagine a grand tour in the USA (or an equal dog-loving
England) where some moron wouldn't bring his/her dog along to cheer,
bark at, terrorize the passing riders (I know I would).
Or is it just a French thing; maybe they are more of a cat society.
Old July 22nd 05, 04:01 PM
Richard Adams

C.M. Burns wrote:

In the few years that I've been able to see live coverage of Tour
stages, I can't ever remember seeing any dogs accompanying any of the
campers/spectators that line the roads.

God knows that it would likely be a recipe for disaster but I've seen
plenty of other stupid/dangerous stuff from the fans so I doubt it
comes down to common sense.
I could not imagine a grand tour in the USA (or an equal dog-loving
England) where some moron wouldn't bring his/her dog along to cheer,
bark at, terrorize the passing riders (I know I would).
Or is it just a French thing; maybe they are more of a cat society.

Cat 4, Cat 3, Cat 2, Cat 1 and Hors Cat society.

Actually there was an incident with a dog during a stage last year.
Dunno if it got any riders tangled up. Dogs, when they pursue riders
tend to have a tunnel vision thing, they only focus on one rider and
seem oblivious to the presence of dozens of others bearing down on them.
Perhaps instinct has it figured that a herd would avoid a dog and it
wouldn't need to concern itself with prey running it down.

Old July 22nd 05, 06:43 PM
John Rees

C.M. Burns wrote:
In the few years that I've been able to see live coverage of Tour
stages, I can't ever remember seeing any dogs accompanying any of the
campers/spectators that line the roads.

God knows that it would likely be a recipe for disaster but I've seen
plenty of other stupid/dangerous stuff from the fans so I doubt it
comes down to common sense.
I could not imagine a grand tour in the USA (or an equal dog-loving
England) where some moron wouldn't bring his/her dog along to cheer,
bark at, terrorize the passing riders (I know I would).
Or is it just a French thing; maybe they are more of a cat society.

No. The French fancy dogs as much as anybody, maybe even more. You can
expect to see dogs, accompanied by their owners, just about anywhere.

Maybe it's just that the French are more responsible about their dogs
than Americans. Gee, what a surprise...
Old July 22nd 05, 07:07 PM
trg

"John Rees" a écrit dans le message de
om...
C.M. Burns wrote:
In the few years that I've been able to see live coverage of Tour
stages, I can't ever remember seeing any dogs accompanying any of the
campers/spectators that line the roads.

God knows that it would likely be a recipe for disaster but I've seen
plenty of other stupid/dangerous stuff from the fans so I doubt it
comes down to common sense.
I could not imagine a grand tour in the USA (or an equal dog-loving
England) where some moron wouldn't bring his/her dog along to cheer,
bark at, terrorize the passing riders (I know I would).
Or is it just a French thing; maybe they are more of a cat society.

No. The French fancy dogs as much as anybody, maybe even more. You can
expect to see dogs, accompanied by their owners, just about anywhere.

Maybe it's just that the French are more responsible about their dogs
than Americans. Gee, what a surprise...

Where do you get that idea????? Been for a walk on the streets of Paris
lately? Compare that with a walk in NYC.

Here's a scene from Sex and the City that was filmed right in front of my
apartment in Paris-
http://wontyouspammebaby.free.fr/OnT...WhereILive.avi

Old July 22nd 05, 08:02 PM
nancy1

C.M. Burns wrote:
In the few years that I've been able to see live coverage of Tour
stages, I can't ever remember seeing any dogs accompanying any of the
campers/spectators that line the roads.

God knows that it would likely be a recipe for disaster but I've seen
plenty of other stupid/dangerous stuff from the fans so I doubt it
comes down to common sense.
I could not imagine a grand tour in the USA (or an equal dog-loving
England) where some moron wouldn't bring his/her dog along to cheer,
bark at, terrorize the passing riders (I know I would).
Or is it just a French thing; maybe they are more of a cat society.

Actually, I saw one being held on a leash, I believe during Stage 18.
It might have been in a village, though, and not out on the open road,
so to speak.

N.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:24 PM

If it's the street I'm thinking of, my wife almost died there, since
she went down it on roller skates on her second day learning and
it is a downhill grade with cobblestones leading onto an intersection.
Rue Ferou, just in case anyone here is thinking of stalking you.

-ilan

Old July 22nd 05, 08:30 PM

Well, we took our dog http://cf.geocities.com/ilanpi/hedwige.html
to the prologue of Paris-Nice without any incident, but then again
it was zero C out, and she wasn't too frisky.

The main danger so
far in Paris has not been for cyclists, but about our dog (or
us) being run over
by cyclists (or scooters) while walking her on the sidewalk. If you
don't jump out of their way fast enough, you get yelled at. Just a few
hours ago, I was challenged to do battle by a cyclist ("is there a
problem?" is the usual phrase) because I didn't get out of his way
when he rang his little bell on the sidewalk.

-ilan

Old July 22nd 05, 08:43 PM
David Ferguson

Bicycles on the sidewalks?

There's your problem.

Old July 22nd 05, 08:58 PM
RJG

"C.M. Burns" wrote in message
In the few years that I've been able to see live coverage of Tour
stages, I can't ever remember seeing any dogs accompanying any of the
campers/spectators that line the roads.

God knows that it would likely be a recipe for disaster but I've seen
plenty of other stupid/dangerous stuff from the fans so I doubt it
comes down to common sense.
I could not imagine a grand tour in the USA (or an equal dog-loving
England) where some moron wouldn't bring his/her dog along to cheer,
bark at, terrorize the passing riders (I know I would).
Or is it just a French thing; maybe they are more of a cat society.

First of all, given the international flavor of many of the roadside
audience, I don't know that any observed behavior can be attributed solely
to the French (except maybe the naked guy running yesterday ;-)

The most overt dog "incident" I know of occurred in 1999 when Guerini (how
appropriate for today's post) was on the way to victory on Alpe d'Huez and a
spectator with a camera jumped in front of him and knocked him over.

As Guerini lay on the ground, a black (ish) dog was standing right over his
head, barking up a storm. He was securely leashed, but the noise, combined
with the shock of the crash and fall, must have really gotten Guerini's
adrenaline skyrocketing.

Recommendations? - Training "Other Peoples" Dogs Not To Chase Matt O'Toole General 72 May 16th 05 03:35 PM
dogs? Raptor Mountain Biking 48 February 27th 05 09:53 PM
Dealing with dogs? Tumbleweed UK 30 June 21st 04 05:49 PM
Frickin' hunters bomba Mountain Biking 24 December 19th 03 11:09 PM
Anybody Use Scooters or the Springer with your dogs? DB Recumbent Biking 3 August 8th 03 01:07 AM