Help me spec out my new bike!

Old January 28th 06, 05:42 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Help me spec out my new bike!

Bought a new Vitus 979 frame off of Ebay. French-made aluminum tubing/alu
lugs from the late 1980's. I could have bought any bike, but I scoured the
planet for 2 years for this model, because I wanted the magic ride of the
979. I will go 2 x 7 speeds with this; I have a lot of nice 7-speed
wheels. As far as going to 10 or 11-speeds, whatever.. I am going to pay
$100 for a cassette or $50 for a chain??? As if...

My goal is a comfy sub-19 pound bike for weekend rides. I have a garage
full of bike parts, so I have options as to how to build up this frame.
Advice wanted.

My options a

1 - Historically accurate: a mix of Shimano Dura-Ace and 600 parts from the
80's. 7-speed Shimano downtube shifters - which work very well actually.
Shimano cassette hubs. Shimano aero brake levers - also nice.

2 - All French: All-Mavic wheels including hubs. Sachs freewheel. Sachs
New Success gruppo including integrated brake/shift levers.

3 - Campagnolo compact: Campagnolo Victory crankset and wheels from the late
80's. 50/36 chainrings. Campagnolo Athena Ergopower shifters and
derailleurs from the 90's. Dura-Ace hyperglide (custom mod) freewheel.
Cinelli bar/stem.

What turns your crank?

Old January 28th 06, 06:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave Mayer wrote:
[...]

About a year ago Nashbar had a whole bunch of NOS 979's. I almost got
one.

My vote is for the all-French version:

Mavic wheels, Huret Jubilee deraileurs, regular friction, Look
black-block pedals, Benotto tape!

Joseph

PS: Make sure to use color coordinated cable housing!

Old January 28th 06, 06:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

I like no 1. as I rode a 600 equipped bike back then and it's my
personal nostalgia. Whatever you do, downtube shifters are just gonna
look right on that frame. I'd look for some Simplex retrofriction
shifters--they're the coolest, and will work with whatever groupset you
choose.

Make sure the candy colored benotto matches the anodizing on the frame.
Hopefully it's pink, so you can get some pink shorts, and it'll be the
80s all over again. LOL

Cool frame, the polar opposite of the overbuilt cannondales of the day.

Old January 28th 06, 10:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave Mayer wrote:
[...]

Nothing, but it will be your bike so you find it out.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu
Old January 29th 06, 01:35 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave Mayer wrote:

What turns your crank?

So to speak? Campy Ergo 9sp, Aerohead OC rear, Aerohead front, 36h,
Veloce (loose) cassettes, still available for much less than that $100
figure.

Selling old parts on ebay to get the money for new stuff that works
better on bikes I'm going to ride, given a self-imposed spending limit
on bike toys.

Just to say-- if I were a bunch more bucks-up, I'd have a modest bike
museum, I guess. I enjoyed a "guest ride" or three on the Vitus, back
in the day, also. Whatever, brifters for real riding, thanks. --D-y

Old January 29th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave Mayer wrote:
[...]

Well, of course, I thinbk Campagnolo is the best choice but either of
the othetr two would be nice. DA cuz that's what is 'historically'
correct, we have one hanging from our ceiling...but all mavic would be
interesting as well Got any Mavic DT index shifters?

Old January 30th 06, 05:23 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Dave Mayer wrote:

[...]

Vintage Aris (Index-7 downtube levers )with light
period-correct SuperChampion tubulars

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Bike rack [email protected] General 9 April 22nd 05 02:50 AM
May 6 NYC NBG Day to Honor Fallen Bike Activist Cycle America General 0 April 11th 05 04:15 PM
May 6 NYC NBG Day to Honor Fallen Bike Activist Cycle America Recumbent Biking 0 April 11th 05 04:13 PM
Some questions etc.. Douglas Harrington General 10 August 17th 04 02:42 AM