Diskectomy/Laminectomy recovery anyone?

Old July 7th 06, 06:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Default Diskectomy/Laminectomy recovery anyone?

No, disk, not dick....

But seriously, anyone out there still riding after something like an
L4/L5 diskectomy? I had one last September and can't seem to get back
into riding. Every time I try, even going out super easy just on the
road, it feels great for a week, then I start a slide back into
painkillers and it keeps getting worse for weeks after I stop again.
I was riding 4-5 times a week, probably around 10 hours a week. Then
came the sore back on long climbes that kept getting worse. Next was
the series of MRI's and epidural cortizone shots.
I sold my coiler as it was getting too heavy for me. Plonked down the
$$$$$$ for niota Ti frame. Even with a 24 lb rig I still couldn't cope.
Last was the surgery. A "minimally invasive laminectomy", translation:
"Maximally screwed up". I've spent almost a year doing PT and stupid
recovery excersizes that don't feel like they do anything. My surgeon
says, "Well, I would have expected faster recovery, but we (ME you rat
*******, not you) just have to wait..."
I didn't think I was ready to make the transition from hard core mtber
to fat old fart, but I guess we don't ever make that choice willingly.
I got on a scale the other day. I though the effing thing was broken,
30 friggin pounds since I quit riding.

-Bruce

P.S.Niota Ti, barely used for sale....

Old July 7th 06, 10:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

About 5 years ago I fractured a lumbar vertebrae (crashed on the MTB) and
for the next two years my back hurt like **** whenever I rode. The pain got
so bad that I finally went to see a chiropractor. First thing he says is
you have one leg shorter than the other and then you have almost no
flexibility. He worked on me for a couple of weeks but it didn't help. I
finally went to see an orthopedist. I got an MRI and found out I had two
ruptured lumbar disks, these were not just herniated but as the Doc put it,
they were fully extruded. The extruded disks were laying on nerves, one on
each side. He says "no wonder your back hurts, I can't believe you can even
ride a bike" then he gave me some free prescription strength Viox, all I
can say is they sure did work and look no heart attack. Just an aside, he
wanted to make sure that there was no nerve damage, so he hooks me up to a
machine that sends a electrical current through my body. After flopping
around on the table a couple of times he hooks me up one more time and sends
another good jolt through and says "Huh, you're wired backwards, let's try
this again." Well I guess if you've been "wired" backwards your whole life
then "you're really not wired backwards" you adapt. Anyway after one
epidural (cortisone shot) and a shot of "I don't know what the hell it was
but it sure made me sick " and 3 months of physical therapy (hint: find one
at your local Universities Sports Complex, these guys deal with sports
injuries all the time, and if you can scheduled it during the women's track
team work out, mine had a view of the weight room, nothing like watching
sweaty women pumping iron to pass the time). At the end of 3 months my legs
were the same length. I was given a stretching routine to do twice a day
and was told to try some yoga. Now after 5 years my back still hurt after I
ride but not as much, in fact I'm used to it but extended hillclimbs can
put a good hurt on the back. So my advice is to do a lot of stretching,
find a good yoga class and try do things that will lessen the strain on your
back, i.e.. higher position on the bike, get out of the saddle every now and
then, stop and walk around. It's either that or as you found out become a
couch potato.

--
Pete

Old July 7th 06, 11:39 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

wrote in message
oups.com...
No, disk, not dick....

But seriously, anyone out there still riding after something like an
L4/L5 diskectomy? I had one last September and can't seem to get back
into riding.

I didn't think I was ready to make the transition from hard core mtber
to fat old fart, but I guess we don't ever make that choice willingly.
I got on a scale the other day. I though the effing thing was broken,
30 friggin pounds since I quit riding.

Since you haven't been on a.m-b recently I was wondering how you were doing.
I had hoped you were just riding and too busy with other things to post.
Sorry to hear about your back, hopefully someone will give helpful advice.
My back is one of the few things I don't have a problem with.

Greg

Old July 7th 06, 11:58 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike

G.T. wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...
No, disk, not dick....

But seriously, anyone out there still riding after something like an
L4/L5 diskectomy? I had one last September and can't seem to get back
into riding.

I didn't think I was ready to make the transition from hard core mtber
to fat old fart, but I guess we don't ever make that choice willingly.
I got on a scale the other day. I though the effing thing was broken,
30 friggin pounds since I quit riding.

Since you haven't been on a.m-b recently I was wondering how you were doing.
I had hoped you were just riding and too busy with other things to post.
Sorry to hear about your back, hopefully someone will give helpful advice.
My back is one of the few things I don't have a problem with.

Greg

Reading the posts was bumming me out, so I quit.
I've come to the conclusion that the niota is just the wrong geom for
me. I need a more FR type frame, bit more laid back. Never did like
that 'down in the drops' XC feel anyways.

So, I'm taking my time and scouting out frames now. That and trying to
get back into working out too so I some semblance of strengh when/if I
do ever get back on a bike.

It's funny how muh stuff has changed in a year. I don't know what
anything is anymore.

I'm considering a 29"er, less jarring and less endo tendancies. The
ventana looks pretty cool. That with a duc32 fork should be a better
stance than that flippin XC think I have now.
Not sure though, never ridden one.

That or something with gobs of travel, inferno, or the new scott ransom
look pretty cushy. Besides, I've saved thousands in broken and worn out
bike parts by not riding, I figure I can splurge now.

-Bruce

Old July 8th 06, 12:03 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Pete Rissler wrote:
wrote in message
oups.com...

[...]

Glad it worked out for you. I've been to 3 different PT shops so far.
They all suck. They're for old people who just want to be able to reach
the remote.
I found a roadie chiro who was OK. Kinda stagnated on the progress
though.
I'm trying the self help gym solution now. Perhaps a year of core
building might help.
I have been doing an hour of stretching every morning. (Time I used to
spend hammering singletrack, what a waste)
Still, I guess it's a waiting game.

-Bruce

Old July 8th 06, 01:15 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On 7 Jul 2006 10:06:26 -0700, "
wrote:

[...]

Obviously, mountain biking is a destructive activity, especially for
mountain bikers. Try hiking or swimming.
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 8th 06, 02:12 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:15:02 -0700, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

On 7 Jul 2006 10:06:26 -0700, "
wrote:

No, disk, not dick....

But seriously, anyone out there still riding after something like an
L4/L5 diskectomy? I had one last September and can't seem to get back
into riding.

Try hiking or swimming.

That was kinda sweet. Maybe you do love us :-D
____
Slack - xoxoxo
Old July 8th 06, 02:24 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 10:06:26 -0700,
wrote:

[...]

Hey bro, it's has been awhile. I assumed, like GT, you just got busy and
were tearing up the hills in Calabassas. Sorry to hear about the dickotomy
:-P Just keep telling yer self, it's not the size, it's not the size!!!

I've had back problems on and off for 25 years. It aint fun. Sell that
weight weenie-sissy ride, force your fat ass off the couch [pot/kettle]
and get rolling again.

These
http://www.chumbaracing.com/evo.shtml have been getting some press
lately... I'm contemplating [myself] because I'm ready to dump the
i-drive. Although, I've been tied up between school and work, so I haven't
been riding lately, either. Also gained about 25-30 :-(
____
Slack
Old July 8th 06, 04:53 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 18:12:49 -0700, Slack wrote:

On Fri, 07 Jul 2006 17:15:02 -0700, Mike Vandeman
wrote:

On 7 Jul 2006 10:06:26 -0700, "
wrote:

No, disk, not dick....

But seriously, anyone out there still riding after something like an
L4/L5 diskectomy? I had one last September and can't seem to get back
into riding.

Try hiking or swimming.

That was kinda sweet. Maybe you do love us :-D

Of course. Mountain bikers can only be pitied.T hey are their own
worst enemies, obviously!
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande
Old July 9th 06, 06:43 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

wrote:

Of course. Mountain bikers can only be pitied.T hey are their own
worst enemies, obviously!
===

http://home.pacbell.net/mjvande

My God, is this guy still around?
Congratulations Mike, you provide the motivation for all moderatly
disinterested mtbers to group together and fight unreasonable eco-nazis
like yourself. The funny thing is that most of these folks wouldn't
care if it wasn't for the contant taunting that incites them to action.
IMBA probably has you to thank for it's increased membership and
revenue. I think you are doing the MTB community a great service by
providing this motivation and reminding everyone to stay vigilant and
fight for what they believe in.
Keep up the great work,

Thanks, Bruce

'recovery days' - is it better to not ride at all? wle Techniques 8 June 23rd 05 12:59 AM
Broken Collar Bone - Recovery Question ZRexRider General 19 June 15th 05 12:23 AM
Recovery drinks Rick Roof Racing 20 September 18th 04 01:34 AM
Recovery ride HR question hippy Racing 2 February 21st 04 02:31 AM