Best Bike Lock ?

Old January 26th 06, 11:08 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Best Bike Lock ?

Perhaps off the subject from pure technical issues but what brand/type of bike
lock is the most effective against (scum-bag) bike theives? I assume a U-lock
of a cable lock? And Kryptonite is a big name brand but there were the
problems several years ago with them so I wonder if they're solved all that.
REI locally in Berkeley carries a brand called BullDog (I think).

This is for my around town commuter/cruiser.

Old January 27th 06, 12:24 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

"rs" wrote in message
Perhaps off the subject from pure technical issues but what brand/type of
bike
lock is the most effective against (scum-bag) bike theives? I assume a
U-lock
of a cable lock? And Kryptonite is a big name brand but there were the
problems several years ago with them so I wonder if they're solved all
that.
REI locally in Berkeley carries a brand called BullDog (I think).

This is for my around town commuter/cruiser.

When I have to park for extended periods, I use a Topeak U-Lock and a cable.
The u-lock has one of the new cruciform keys, which solves the Bic pen
problem. I run the u-lock around the frame and front wheel, and run a cable
around the whole bike front wheel to rear wheel. The cable isn't great but
the combination of the two locks should discourage all but the hardcore
thief.

Old January 27th 06, 12:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

rs wrote:

This is for my around town commuter/cruiser.

Unless the bike is worth a lot of money, you probably don't need much
of a lock. Cable locks are light, easy to carry, and usually enough of
a deterrent to protect a commuter bike... unless bike theft is terrible
where you are?

-Vee

Old January 27th 06, 12:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Hi Dan

Are you sure? I'd rather cut a Krypto. chain & /or small lock than
their better U-locks. (The Evo & NY)
Kryptonite came forward and forthrightly replaced all their somewhat
defective locks. I have 2 replacement U-locks that were obtained w/ a
minimum of fuss & muss. Except for the Ace key glitch, I've always
considered them to be the best. I just paid for one of their Mini
U-locks. So I now have a total of 3.
The best place to get more info about this is @ Sheldon Browns site.
I'm sorry but I can't find the URL for his lock article. Perhaps
another reader of this can find it.

Best, John

Old January 27th 06, 01:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On 26 Jan 2006 16:58:57 -0800, "john" wrote:

Hi Dan

Are you sure? I'd rather cut a Krypto. chain & /or small lock than
their better U-locks. (The Evo & NY)

The idea with the chains is that you wrap them tight so as not to
allow a long lever to be used in springing them open.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old January 27th 06, 01:40 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 17:08:54 -0600, (rs)
wrote:

Perhaps off the subject from pure technical issues but what brand/type of bike
lock is the most effective against (scum-bag) bike theives? I assume a U-lock
of a cable lock? And Kryptonite is a big name brand but there were the
problems several years ago with them so I wonder if they're solved all that.
REI locally in Berkeley carries a brand called BullDog (I think).

This is for my around town commuter/cruiser.

What's best depends upon several things.

First, what level of thievery is present in your area for your type of
bike? In some locales, a warded lock and a wire cable will do the
job; in others, an armored and hardened chain and a Master #1 will
only delay the theft for a minute or two. Most people live in places
which fall somewhere between these two points in terms of hazard.

Second, how much can you afford to spend on a lock and/or accessories,
and will that expenditure be adequate?

Third, will locking the bike be enough, or do you need to swap to
non-QR axles and a non-QR seat clamp as well...and will *those*
measures be adequate?

Fourth, would it be cheaper and more effective to get a crummier bike,
ugly it up, and use a cheaper lock to secure it?

All that said, in my experience, in *most* locales, a flat-key
Kryptonite U-lock (with a cable to secure the front wheel and possibly
the seat) is *generally* adequate. Master makes a decent flat-key
U-lock now as well, but good luck getting spare keys for either the
new Master or the new Kryptonite locally; they're weird.

If the risk of theft is high in your area, consult with the local bike
messengers (if that trade exists in your vicinity) for real-world
advice about what's likely to work. Asking the cops might get you a
list of what doesn't work at all, and will almost certainly include
the blanket disclaimer "If they really want to steal it, they'll find
a way."

--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 27th 06, 01:48 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

One other observation: Although a cable lock will do the job in many
locales, they're amazingly easy to cut. I frequently get used bikes
brought to me that have cable locks on them for which no key is
available or the combination has been lost. None has resisted my
cable cutter even slightly; one slice, and they're history.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.
Old January 27th 06, 03:01 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

John, if I were to turn to a life of crime, boosting bikes, I wouldn't
use levers or bolt cutters. It wouldn't matter how tight the chain or
cable was. In fact the tighter, the better. The down side of my methods
is that they both make some noise or attract attention.
I do wonder how long of a bolt cutter it would take to cut a 1/2"
Krypto lock, and if one set of jaws could hold their sharpness long
enough to do the job?
Best wishes, John

Old January 27th 06, 03:27 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Werehatrack wrote:

One other observation: Although a cable lock will do the job in many
locales, they're amazingly easy to cut. I frequently get used bikes
brought to me that have cable locks on them for which no key is
available or the combination has been lost. None has resisted my
cable cutter even slightly; one slice, and they're history.

What is the thickest cable you have easily cut through? I'm under the
impression that the really thick cables are fairly hard to cut through,
or at least slow a thief down significantly. If this isn't true I would
like to know about it.
Also as I stated above I can't find the URL of Sheldon's article about
bike security. I would like to read it again. If someone would post it,
I would appreciate it.

Thanks, John

Old January 27th 06, 04:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/lock-strategy.html

Mark