Apparently all serious cyclists

Old April 22nd 06, 12:43 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Default Apparently all serious cyclists

Sid wrote:
Same reason body builders and swimmers shave, it looks good (if you ride
enough to have muscle definition), but it sure is a pain to keep it up for
long.

Sid

"Pain to keep it up for long?" heh no comment

Jason
Old April 22nd 06, 01:53 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Sid wrote:
Same reason body builders and swimmers shave, it looks good (if you ride
enough to have muscle definition), but it sure is a pain to keep it up for
long.

but roadies also do it to avoid infected hairs in gravel rash, plus it
helps in massages if youre a pro.
Old April 22nd 06, 02:51 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Per Fred:
I would like to know why?

The reason I used to hear was infection.

You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and there's less
chance of infection if it's shaved.
--
PeteCresswell
Old April 22nd 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

On Sat, 22 Apr 2006 22:53:06 +1000, Aeek wrote:

it
helps in massages if youre a pro.

What if someone is not a pro -- does it help in massages then?

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************
Old April 22nd 06, 04:14 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

(PeteCresswell) wrote:
Per Fred:

I would like to know why?

The reason I used to hear was infection.

You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and there's less
chance of infection if it's shaved.

A friend of mine was chastised by an ER doc for *not* shaving his legs,
when he got cleaned up from a particularly bad fall.
But... How often do non-racers get road rash? Yeah if you're a clod.
I haven't bothered for 15 years (since I quit racing).

Shawn
Old April 22nd 06, 04:33 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Apparently I am not a "serious" cyclist.

I try to smile a lot and keep it light!

Old April 22nd 06, 08:45 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Oh sure, it helps with road rash, but I try not to get road rash so often
that it would make a difference. I agree that massage feels better smooth
and it makes applying sunscreen easier.

Old April 22nd 06, 08:48 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

"Fred" wrote in message
oups.com...
Apparently all serious cyclists shave their legs.
Being one of 3 unrepentant cyclists at our club
races who havent bothered I would like to know why?

Apparently, I'm not serious.

Marty

Old April 23rd 06, 01:44 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

Shawn who? writes:

I would like to know why?

The reason I used to hear was infection.

You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and
there's less chance of infection if it's shaved.

That's the old excuse for men who fear being tagged as being gay for
their pretty legs.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shaving.html

A friend of mine was chastised by an ER doc for *not* shaving his
legs, when he got cleaned up from a particularly bad fall.
But... How often do non-racers get road rash? Yeah if you're a
clod. I haven't bothered for 15 years (since I quit racing).

What a dork. That technician must have been a leg shaving bikie
himself, justifying his own fears.

Jobst Brandt
Old April 23rd 06, 02:04 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike,rec.bicycles.misc,ba.bicycles,rec.bicycles.racing

On 23 Apr 2006 00:44:15 GMT, wrote:

Shawn who? writes:

I would like to know why?

The reason I used to hear was infection.

You go down, lose a bunch of skin, and it's easier to clean up and
there's less chance of infection if it's shaved.

That's the old excuse for men who fear being tagged as being gay for
their pretty legs.

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/brandt/shaving.html

From that page "Many folks with hair get massages and it has no effect
on comfort. You'd think from this excuse, that those who shave get
massages regularly and that massage parlors always shave their
customers. Neither is true."

You're saying, that because businesses trying to make money off
massages don't create a hurdle to getting customers (higher price due
to shaving, or the additional time it takes customers to shave) that
that demonstrates shaving doesn't make massages easier? That seems
pretty flawed logic.

Here's the test -- perform a massage on hairy legs and then smooth
legs. It's clearly very doable with hair. It's also a little easier
without.

JT.

Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com

Invisible Cyclists in Solstice Dark Elisa Francesca Roselli UK 787 January 31st 06 08:42 AM
Gobsmacked wafflycat UK 63 January 4th 06 06:50 PM
published helmet research - not troll patrick Racing 1790 November 8th 04 03:16 AM
Mail on Sunday andy w UK 92 October 27th 03 12:42 PM