Good road rides in/around Bris Vegas?

Old September 10th 03, 09:06 AM
Andrew Swan

Default Good road rides in/around Bris Vegas?

I'm off to Brissy next week for holidays - can anyone suggest good road
rides of anywhere between 30 - 100km?

Or better still, are there any regular rides/groups that I could join up
with? I'm looking for people that ride at a good training pace but not
like nutter A graders or anything...

TIA,

&roo

Old September 10th 03, 11:34 AM
pattherat

Andrew Swan wrote:
I'm off to Brissy next week for holidays - can anyone suggest good road
rides of anywhere between 30 - 100km?
Or better still, are there any regular rides/groups that I could join up
with? I'm looking for people that ride at a good training pace but not
like nutter A graders or anything...
TIA,
&roo

This is a very good site for info rides/ races etc in BrisVegas

http://members.optusnet.com.au/vonberky/

Old September 10th 03, 12:34 PM
PeterM

This is a good summary of the Brisbane scene:

http://www.bq.org.au/events/rides/fav_rides.htm

Best places to join in on a group a

Park Rd, Milton - Wed Morning or Sat Morning

Nepalese Pagoda, South bank - Saturday 6am (50K)

Enjoy...

Old September 10th 03, 11:52 PM
Jess

If you speak to almost any cyclist in Bris, they'll know about the
'River Loop'. It's an unofficial 35km loop roughly following the River.
Being a loop (!!), you can start anywhere, but say from UQ St Lucia, it
goes through Indooroopilly, across the river into Graceville,
Yerongpilly, Yeronga, Fairfield, Dutton Park, Highgate Hill, West End,
cross the river again at Southbank and then back along Coro Drive
bikeway to St Lucia. If you don't know Bris, that's probably not much
help to you though... Alternatively, you can pretty much rock into any
bike shop and ask about organised rides. Some shops that I know of that
have regular rides are Victor Cycles at Cooparoo, Lifecycle at Normanby
5-ways, Cycological in Elizabeth St, City, Planet Cycles at
Woolloongabba. Good luck and happy cycling! J

Old September 10th 03, 11:52 PM
MikeyOz

Brisbane.... beautiful place for a bike ride, once you get out of the
city...!! the roads are all over the place.

there are a couple of rides from Brisbane that were my stock rides.

www.cycleogical.com.au have regular saturday morning rides varying from
80 to 100, highly recommended.

I lived Northside, Chermside.

Chermside, Samford, Chermside ~60kms round trip, rolling, 1 hill that
can get you heart started.

Chermside, Dayboro, Samford, Chermside (Doughnuts @ Samford) about 80+
kms return.

Chermside, Samford, Mt Nebo, back via The Gap, hige ride, 100+ and an
extreme hill climb up to Mt Nebo.

they are all north of the city, riding out to Cleveland is great, via
Old cleveland road, you can get out to cleveland further south and come
back via Old Cleveland usually a tail wind and great road, anything from
60 to 100+ depending on where u start from.

hope this helps.... you can email me for more directions if you like or
just hook up cith cycleogical, they have a wednesday morning ride as
well, leaves 6am from their Brisbane city shop.

enjoy the weather and the people.

cheers Mikey

Old September 11th 03, 09:22 AM
Andrew Swan

Andrew Swan wrote:
I'm off to Brissy next week for holidays - can anyone suggest good road
rides of anywhere between 30 - 100km?

Or better still, are there any regular rides/groups that I could join up
with? I'm looking for people that ride at a good training pace but not
like nutter A graders or anything...

TIA,

&roo

Thanks for the replies guys, all v. helpful - my printer has been busy
just now! :-)

P.S. What sort of weather are you guys having right now? Is it cold
enough in the morning for leg/arm/foot warmers, etc.?

&roo