Generator light optics

Old October 13th 04, 02:47 AM
Frank Krygowski

Default Generator light optics

[I copied r.b.tech with my reponse.]

Mike Kruger wrote:
Are there any simple ways to improve the light output of old
Schwinn-approved generator sets?

I have a nice bottle genertor (Busch and Muller Dymotec S6) and light
(Bisy) -- 6 volt, 3 watt (no rear light).
This is described at:
http://peterwhitecycles.com/dymotec.asp
When I use this with an auxiliary light (one of those Cateye halogens that
use 4 AA batteries), the generator light is far brighter than the Cateye.
(Just like Frank K is always posting.)

But, alas, the state of the dollar versus the euro makes these things much
more expensive than they used to be. I also have been doing some bike
salvage, and have ended up with a handful of generators off old Schwinn
bikes.

I can tolerate the added drag on bikes where I don't expect to use the
generator much, but the light is much dimmer -- "be seen" quality, and much
dimmer than the Cateye. Part of this is due to the lower wattage (6 volt,
2.4 watt with rear light) but I suspect the rest is due to the bulb
(standard versus halogen) and the reflector optics.

So:
-- Any simple way to improve the light output?
-- I'm assuming these generators work with newer lights (thus getting better
optics) as long as I match 6 volt, 2.4 watt, but if anybody has experience
to the contrary I'd be happy to hear it.

So, to make sure I have it clear: you're trying to put together another
generator set for a second bike, and do it inexpensively.

It's true that generator output doesn't change much across different
brands. As I understand, German standards ensure that.

And in my experience, generator lamps have widely variable optics among
the different brands. Bulbs also vary, depending on type.

You could try putting a good halogen bulb for the lamps you have. I
once put a 2.4 watt halogen bulb into a dirt cheap department store
generator for a friend's bike. I was surprised and impressed with the
light output and the optics. You may be able to find a 6 volt, 2.4 watt
halogen bulb at a "good" bike shop - one with fenders on display instead
of carbon fiber cranks! It'll cost less than $7.

Of course, you can get bulbs from the same sort of shops via mail order.
Peter White, http://www.peterwhitecycles.com/lightingsystems.htm
and Sheldon's Harris Cyclery
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/lighting/lumotec.html
don't seem to mention bulbs, but I bet if you e-mailed, they'd sell you
one. If not, Reflectalite http://www.reflectalite.com/ definitely has
them.

The next level of improvment would be to use a better headlight. I've
got three different models of Union lamps that I've used, and each is
different in its optics, so you might want to try some trial and error.
Of course, those $20 Lumotecs at Sheldon's site ought to do the job,
and of course, they come with a bulb.

Further details: Don't neglect to double-wire the headlight. That is,
don't rely on the bike frame as a ground. And finally, the position of
the light makes a difference. I like it best when the light's mounted
about 24" to 27" above the ground and far enough forward to not be
blocked by the tire. I made a rack to hold it there, above the front of
the tire.

I still haven't gotten around to using a 3W bulb in my lights. I do
have a switch on my generator taillight, and I can switch it off. This
overdrives the 2.4 watt headlight and brightens it noticeably. So far,
no problems with bulb life. (I do have back-to-back Zener diodes in the
circuit for some overload protection.)

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old October 13th 04, 03:00 AM
Mike Kruger

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

So, to make sure I have it clear: you're trying to put together another
generator set for a second bike, and do it inexpensively.

Yep; the B&M S6 generator with the Bisy light (good stuff) is on the bike I
would ordinarily use in the dark;
This setup would be for a lightly used bike (pun intended).
I'd also like to put these on my daughters' bikes -- they seldom ride in the
dark, and if they are late at the college library I doubt if it bothers them
much if they forgot the bike lights Dad gave them. The cheap generator's
always there, and not much of a theft magnet.

You could try putting a good halogen bulb for the lamps you have. I
once put a 2.4 watt halogen bulb into a dirt cheap department store
generator for a friend's bike. I was surprised and impressed with the
light output and the optics. You may be able to find a 6 volt, 2.4 watt
halogen bulb at a "good" bike shop - one with fenders on display instead
of carbon fiber cranks! It'll cost less than $7.

Good idea

Further details: Don't neglect to double-wire the headlight. That is,
don't rely on the bike frame as a ground.

Yes, the cheap generator/light combo is single wired. I thought that would
be sufficient on an all-steel bike.

--
Mike Kruger
The road to hell is now paved with PowerPoint presenations.

Old October 13th 04, 04:09 AM
Tom Keats

In article 1097632859.4WEP0NTtyME6ziqcb29aPg@teranews,
"Mike Kruger" writes:

Further details: Don't neglect to double-wire the headlight. That is,
don't rely on the bike frame as a ground.

Yes, the cheap generator/light combo is single wired. I thought that would
be sufficient on an all-steel bike.

I've found single-wiring is never good enough in the rain;
it loves too much to short out. Besides, it punches holes
through paint and does nasty stuff to frame material.

For double-wiring I like used-&-limp, black lamp cord. It
stays put in the wiring path so very well. It's a lot more
relaxed than a coil of new, plastic insulated, colour-coded,
2-conductor from Radio Shack.

I'll also second Frank's suggestion of trying various headlights.
I still like the 'traditional' Union light -- the old 4" diameter
one with the vertical, fresnel-like striations in the lens, with
a little bas-relief 'U' at the top. Interestingly, it seems to
also serve as a pretty good front reflector in daylight. But I've
had good luck with other headlights. Well, the cheap, plastic
toy, CCM one from Canadian Tire. It's actually not a bad headlight.

My current supply of lamps is slightly underrated; like, 5.8 volts
or something like that. They seem to burn a little brighter than
the usually recommended lamp, but they don't last as long. I
might go through 2/year. They have the same base and spherical
glass globe as the 'correct' lamp. Unfortunately I can't find
the box they came in, so I can't tell you the exact ratings
right now (it's not stamped on the bases of the lamps.) But I'll
look for it. It's around here somewhere.

Speaking of tire-rubbing generators in rain -- skipping. That
seems to be at least in part a function of the robustness of
the mounting bracket. Cheap, stamped-metal brackets are just
too bendy. Stouter, tempered steel is called for. It might not
hurt to temper it yourself, with a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch.
Provided the spring that holds the generator wheel against the
tire is tempered enough, itself. In my experience there can
be a sweet spot on the tire where the generator wheel contacts,
and it might take mere micrometer adjustments to get it there.
It can take a little fiddling around to get a tire-driven
generator working properly, but it can be done.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Nothing is safe from me.
Above address is just a spam midden.

Old October 14th 04, 04:00 AM
Frank Krygowski

Tom Keats wrote:

Speaking of tire-rubbing generators in rain -- skipping. That
seems to be at least in part a function of the robustness of
the mounting bracket. Cheap, stamped-metal brackets are just
too bendy. Stouter, tempered steel is called for. It might not
hurt to temper it yourself, with a Bernz-O-Matic propane torch.

Hmm. I'm not optimistic about being able to temper the steel used in
most brackets, especially for an amateur using a propane torch.

To temper (or, more properly, heat treat) steel, it's got to have enough
carbon content to be classed as "medium carbon." Things like those
brackets are usually made of low carbon steel. You can try heating one
up to red heat then quenching it, but I doubt it will harden.

It might be easier to just make your own stouter bracket. Get the
strength with more thickness or a stronger shape, rather than by heat
treating.

Provided the spring that holds the generator wheel against the
tire is tempered enough, itself. In my experience there can
be a sweet spot on the tire where the generator wheel contacts,
and it might take mere micrometer adjustments to get it there.
It can take a little fiddling around to get a tire-driven
generator working properly, but it can be done.

I have one friend who's sidewall generator slipped badly in the rain, at
least on one ride. I don't know how well it's adjusted, though.

Some generators have (at least, as options) rollers made differently -
sort of like wire brushes - to cut through the water on the tire's side
and grip in the wet. I've never experimented with such a thing, but it
wouldn't be hard to modify or replace the roller that runs on the
sidewall of a tire.

For most of the past 15 years, I've used a bottom bracket generator, the
kind that rolls on the tire's tread. I've had a few incidents of minor
slipping, but only when I've ridden through wet mud.

Maybe my generator pushes pretty hard on the tire.

--
--------------------+
replace with cc.ysu dot edu]

Old October 14th 04, 04:16 AM
Mike Kruger

"Frank Krygowski" wrote in message

Some generators have (at least, as options) rollers made differently -
sort of like wire brushes - to cut through the water on the tire's side
and grip in the wet. I've never experimented with such a thing, but it
wouldn't be hard to modify or replace the roller that runs on the
sidewall of a tire.

My "good" B&M S6 generator came with two wheels, one of which is like a wire
brush.
The good news: works well in rainy conditions.
The bad news: tends to eat up the tire, especially if the generator gets a
little bit out of radial adjustment, so you are "scrubbing" the tire.
It would be nice if this was designed so you could change wheels while
riding, but the wheel is held in place by a tiny clip, and it's hard enough
to change on a lighted workbench with a clean floor; changing it on a dark,
rainy night would likely lead to the loss of the tiny clip -- and no way to
attach either wheel.