NEW TO BIKES...and have some questions

Old June 2nd 08, 05:31 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

Default NEW TO BIKES...and have some questions

First, I'm over 60 with both hips replaced within the last 2 years and still
walk with a cane when away from the house. I try to get a least a four mile
walk in each day but can do five but really relieved to sit down.

I have a stationary bike but really want to start riding a real bike solely for
the therapy. This is to excerise my legs and hips in a different way.

Just got laid off from a mortgage company and on unemployment so I have limited
funds to spend.

I have a 15 speed junker bike (given to me) that I want to try to use. It
functions ok and I was given a new seat (non racing...just comfy for a old ass)
and mirror. The gears say Shimano Deore XT and the front forks say Manitou
Easton E9. The frame itself is probably stolen as it has the name scratched out
all over so there's no way to know what it is (it doesn't really matter anyway).

Thru Amazon, I have ordered an underseat storage bag, Schwinn speedo/odometer,
and a Bell CarGo Rear Rack because I want to add baskets in the future and need
this to mount them on.

I've gone thru some of the posts looking for advise on toolkits etc and found
the group informative.

QUESTION:

I need new tires but since I haven't ridden a bike in over 40 years, I'm really
not up to speed on how to figure out how to shop for them.

The existing front tire rim is 26" X 1" (outside diameter) current tire says 26
x 1.50
rear tire rim is 26" x 1.25" (out side diameter) current tire says 26 X 1.75

The front tire has many bulges along the sides (looks like a racing tire...it's
mostly smooth) and seems about to blow. The rear tire is an old mountain tire
and worn out.

I want the same size tire on each rim. Can I put a 26 X 1.75 tire on the front?
Seems like I could because it's not much bigger that what I already have.
Should I also buy new tubes? I've been to Amazon and priced tires. I don't
need the off road...just street tires and Cheng Shen seem like the cheapest ones
there at $6 to $9.

Any advise appreciated. Just remember, I'm on a LIMITED budget and this is
really an experiment to see if this a good idea for artificial hips. Met
someone yesterday on a bike and turns out he had his knee AND hip replaced on
one side and highly recommends biking as therapy.

thanks

twitchell

photos less new seat and mirror:

http://imgplace.com/image/view/3a22a...2ad2b397b90ca1

http://imgplace.com/image/view/e1291...6f5939acaeee7d

http://imgplace.com/image/view/7fc71...13f50414d2343d

http://imgplace.com/image/view/da988...555f224e3e4fc8

http://imgplace.com/image/view/9c17e...5b1472e2601101

http://imgplace.com/image/view/9ca2d...542aad704168b5

Old June 2nd 08, 07:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
daveornee[_218_]

Twitchell Wrote:
[...]

1.75" tires will fit.
new tubes is a good idea, to match up with the tire size and to have on
hand when you get a flat.... so is a patch kit, pump, tire removal
tools, etc.
Bicycle riding will help with therapy and conditioning.
I encourage you to give it a go; which sounds like you are already
planning.
Different tires have significantly different ride qualities and life.

--
daveornee

Old June 3rd 08, 03:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

First, I'm over 60 with both hips replaced within the last 2 years and still
walk with a cane when away from the house.

Just got laid off from a mortgage company and on unemployment so I have
limited funds to spend.

I have a 15 speed junker bike (given to me) that I want to try to use.

Surprisingly, this is not a junky bike at all. More on that in a moment.
It is also not a 15-speed.

and mirror. The gears say Shimano Deore XT and the front forks say Manitou
Easton E9. The frame itself is probably stolen as it has the name scratched
out all over so there's no way to know what it is (it doesn't really matter
anyway).

XT is top-grade mountain bike equipment. Looking at the photo below, the
paint job on that frame looks quite distinctive.

QUESTION:

I need new tires but since I haven't ridden a bike in over 40 years, I'm
really
not up to speed on how to figure out how to shop for them.

I want the same size tire on each rim. Can I put a 26 X 1.75 tire on the
front?
Seems like I could because it's not much bigger that what I already have.
Should I also buy new tubes? I've been to Amazon and priced tires. I don't
need the off road...just street tires and Cheng Shen seem like the cheapest
ones
there at $6 to $9.

Any advise appreciated. Just remember, I'm on a LIMITED budget and this is
really an experiment to see if this a good idea for artificial hips.

Get street (slick) tires, because they will feel MUCH nicer when you are
riding around on the road. Cheng Shin tires will be fine for now.

Looking at the photos below, I bet your bike shifts pretty funny. The
reason I say that is it appears to be a bike with 7- or 8-speed shifters
and a 6-speed rear wheel (and a rusty chain). It's common to refer to a
high-end bicycle's drivetrain by counting the rear cogs only, so what
I'm saying is this is an 18-speed bike that should be a 21- or 24-speed.

Because of that mismatch, I suspect the shifting is messed up. The best
solution would be the correct set of cogs on the rear wheel, and a
replaced chain, but that might be out of your budget (especially since
it might mean a new rear wheel; I don't think that one is the original).

The next-best solution might be to replace the shifter temporarily, and
you'll probably still want to replace the chain, too.

I don't want to scare you off: if you have to, you can probably just
ride it, but the shifting will likely be off, with some skipping and
rough running.

Old June 3rd 08, 03:43 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Tom Kunich

"Twitchell" wrote in message

[...]

OK, that ain't a junker. What's more, the equipment on it isn't half bad.

I assume you intend to ride it on the street.

a) Replace the saddle as you say you have.
b) I suggest you have the bike "tuned" by a good local bike shop who can
inspect it for any non-obvious problems such as a bad bottom bracket and the
like.
c) Replace the tires with new tires and tubes such as
http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...to%2026x1%2E75
(when you have the bike tuned the shop might have some applicable tires as
well.)

Don't worry about how tired you get at first. Believe it or not, it takes
between two and three years to fully grow in blood vessels into your legs so
that you aren't tired from moderate rides. Though my ex-wife only took 3
months or so.

After you've been riding enough to believe you're no threat to anyone else
on the road find a local club that has rides that you can go on. Be
extremely conservative about rides. Your fastest pace might be half of
someone else's easy pace. When I first started in my early 50's I couldn't
keep up with people in their 70's who had been riding for years.

Welcome to the club.

Old June 3rd 08, 04:04 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Twitchell

In article ], Ryan
Cousineau says...

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

[...]

I found a 26 inch rim (it was actually hanging in a tree behind a bike shop)
with worn-out tire and a 7 cog gear. Thinking it was worthless I was going to
toss it out but maybe I should keep it?

Old June 3rd 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
landotter

On Jun 2, 11:31*am, Twitchell wrote:
[...]

It does matter. It's a good fifteen years old at least, but at one
time, that was a very expensive bike, a top shelf bike shop bike, and
the person who had it stolen probably was sick for quite some time. It
makes me sad to think that you see a junker, and I see very high
quality details such as the rear dropouts.

As there's probably no way to get it back to the original owner, do
treat it with a bit of respect--those parts will shine up well. Rusty
bits such as bottle cage bolts are cheap to replace. Put a new wheel
in rear with the appropriate cassette and tire. New chain if needed,
brake shoes, etc.
Old June 3rd 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ryan Cousineau

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

In article ],
Ryan
Cousineau says...

In article ,
Twitchell wrote:

[...]

Yes. Well, maybe. You need to show someone who will know (probably your
local bike shop) the bike, and ask them how many speeds the shifter is
designed to shift. You can check this yourself by just counting how many
times the cable clicks out as you shift from low to high gear, keeping
in mind that you get one fewer clicks than you have gears.

As for your found wheel, it may well be trouble in some other ways, but
the same bike shop can tell you if it is the right one to go with your
shifter.

Just so you know, brand new (entry-level but good) parts would cost like
so:

rear wheel: $50, maybe less if you're lucky, maybe more if you're not.
8-speed cassette (cogs): $20 or so, less for 7-speed.
new chain: $20, more or less.

If your budget would run to $100 for this project, I'd recommend all
three and you'd be good to go.

Old June 3rd 08, 08:53 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
agcou

On 2 Jun 2008 09:31:16 -0700, Twitchell wrote:

First, I'm over 60 with both hips replaced within the last 2 years and

TOTM
Old June 3rd 08, 09:19 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson

"Ryan Cousineau" a écrit:

XT is top-grade mountain bike equipment. Looking at the
photo below, the paint job on that frame looks quite distinctive.

It's a Marin, circa 1992-3, I think the Pine Mountain model. The
round-round-round seatstays, coloured stem, distinctive dropouts, and that
paint job mark it out.

James Thomson

Old June 3rd 08, 09:20 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James Thomson

"Ryan Cousineau" a écrit:

You need to show someone who will know (probably your
local bike shop) the bike, and ask them how many speeds
the shifter is designed to shift.

Those are 7-speed.

James Thomson