I laugh in the face of seized bottom brackets...

Old August 21st 03, 09:19 PM
Call me Bob

Default I laugh in the face of seized bottom brackets...

Ha Ha Ha!

(See, that was me, laughing)

As my town hack now lives in Switzerland I've recently been on the
lookout for a cheap replacement. I don't like having to lock up my
"posh" bike in town where some pikey git will no doubt have a crack at
thieving it.

So, last week I picked up a Diamondback Sorrento from my local tip for
a fiver. The frame n' forks are in good nick, as are the wheels and a
few other bits, spot of rust here and there but for a shopping hack
that's actually desirable as far as I'm concerned. I reckoned it was a
great bargain as long as I could get the seatpost and bottom bracket
out when I got home..... and therein lay the rub, both seized
absolutely solid.

Until today!

The seatpost has defied me so far but I can get that out with the
hacksaw down the seat tube method, I just didn't want to spend the
time if I couldn't remove the BB. I've been swearing and battling with
it since last week but today my shiny new DeWalt impact wrench
arrived. I plugged the battery into the charger in full view of the
stubborn Diamondback so it knew the end was nigh. It had an hour left
to live and I wanted it to know it (**mad cackle**!).

Sixty minutes later the "fully charged" LED lit and I attacked!!

BRRRR-RATTLE-BZZZZZ-BRRRRRR!!!!

About 60 seconds later and victory was mine. So, if you find yourself
with a seized bottom bracket, you know the tool to use.

Bob
--
Mail address is spam trapped
To reply by email remove the beverage
Old August 22nd 03, 08:14 AM
ekasirhc

Call Me Bob wrote:
[...]

I weld a seat bracket to the seatpost aand hit it with a big hammer
(not the bike). for bbs I[/url] ]http://

Old August 22nd 03, 12:36 PM
Call me Bob

On Fri, 22 Aug 2003 10:01:10 +0100, "Tim"
wrote:

How does an impact wrench work, never came across that before??

Think "hammer drill for nuts and bolts". It's basically a powered
ratchet, which provides speed and effortless torque. The key though is
the hammer action it gives, which is essential for tightening or
cracking nuts (and seized BB's!).

http://www.powertoolsuk.co.uk/webcat...W053K2&ID=1108

That's a cordless one, but they come corded of course and in much
heavier and more powerful incarnations depending on intended use.

Bob
Old August 22nd 03, 02:01 PM
Tony Raven

In ,
Call me Bob typed:
Ha Ha Ha!

(See, that was me, laughing)

As this thread has lengthened the title has moved right in the subject
listing window so it now displays "I laugh in the fce of seized bottom"

Tony

--
"Reality is what refuses to go away when I stop believing in it. "
Philip K. Dick