First Road Bike Question

Old August 4th 04, 09:44 PM
Frank

Default First Road Bike Question

This is my first ever road bike, and I must say I am loving every minute of
it, sure beats riding the Mountain Bike.

My question is with the Sti Shimano 105 gears, do I have to ease off the
power when changing gears, or can I change gears as I am pedalling hard ? or
will this damage the drivetrain.

Also any other tips much appreciatted.
Cheers,
Frank

Old August 5th 04, 12:01 AM
flyingdutch

Frank Wrote:
This is my first ever road bike, and I must say I am loving every minute
of
it, sure beats riding the Mountain Bike.

My question is with the Sti Shimano 105 gears, do I have to ease off
the
power when changing gears, or can I change gears as I am pedalling hard
? or
will this damage the drivetrain.

Also any other tips much appreciatted.
Cheers,
Frank

in general on any bike (despite shimano/sachs/campag claims) you are
always best easing off a tad when changeing gears, but hugely so.

I tend to avoid changeing gears when Im standing/stomping up a hill cos
the little voice in my head says 'remember when you tried to change
gears and fell base-over-apex?' but that was on older bikes/gears.
The shifting ramps on cassettes these days makes shifting way better
than it used to be.
I have choros04 on my roadie and have been occasionally doing exactly
what i say you shouldnt be doing of late on the 'BR' rides cos i hate
losing momentum on a hill (i need all the help i can get!). Just take
your weight/force off the pedals but keep turning at the same cadence
and change away. all should be well.

--
flyingdutch

Old August 5th 04, 12:30 AM
M2/27

"Frank" wrote in message
This is my first ever road bike, and I must say I am loving every minute

of
it, sure beats riding the Mountain Bike.

snip

Judas!

Old August 5th 04, 01:04 AM
hippy

"Frank" wrote in message
My question is with the Sti Shimano 105 gears, do I have to ease off the
power when changing gears, or can I change gears as I am pedalling hard ?

or
will this damage the drivetrain.

Ease off is best but if you are racing or something
and maintaining speed is important.. to hell with
the drivetrain! :-)
The new groupsets are designed to shift under
load, but personally, I don't make a habit of it.

hippy

Old August 5th 04, 02:52 AM
Mike

Frank wrote:
it, sure beats riding the Mountain Bike.

Troll!

My question is with the Sti Shimano 105 gears, do I have to ease off the
power when changing gears, or can I change gears as I am pedalling hard ?

Same as on the mountain bike. You certainly should ease off when
changing the front gear, but you probably figured that out already :-)

Buying A Bike - Inquiry James Lynx General 4 May 14th 04 07:43 AM
MTB on road - just curious Saint UK 88 April 25th 04 02:35 PM
aus.bicycle FAQ kingsley Australia 4 December 14th 03 11:08 PM