Roadies don’t jump the bump?

Old January 19th 05, 12:00 PM
Michael Warner

Default Roadies don’t jump the bump?

On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:25:43 +1100, Marx SS wrote:

Thing is, there’s roadies I see about who look & ride full-on
professional but wash off heaps just before a slight bump/pot hole/step
& ride right through it at a low speed.

If this ever enables you to beat a roadie over a 10km course on
typical road, let us know, ok?

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo
Old January 19th 05, 12:25 PM
Marty Wallace

"Michael Warner" wrote in message
On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 16:25:43 +1100, Marx SS wrote:

Thing is, there's roadies I see about who look & ride full-on
professional but wash off heaps just before a slight bump/pot hole/step
& ride right through it at a low speed.

If this ever enables you to beat a roadie over a 10km course on
typical road, let us know, ok?

--
bpo gallery at http://www4.tpgi.com.au/users/mvw1/bpo

I've seen a few Tour riders doing bunny hops over fallen bikes and riders.

Marty

Old January 19th 05, 10:01 PM
hippy

"Marty Wallace"
I've seen a few Tour riders doing bunny hops over fallen bikes and

riders.

Didn't Robbie McEwan hop a median strip last year?

Here we go:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...87188#poststop

Look at the CX riders.. they are on 700C bikes and
lots of 'em can hop like mad. It's a useful skill but I
don't see much need to use it for fun (on a road bike).

hippy

Old January 19th 05, 11:20 PM
Shabby

hippy Wrote:
"Marty Wallace"
I've seen a few Tour riders doing bunny hops over fallen bikes and

riders.

Didn't Robbie McEwan hop a median strip last year?

Here we go:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/sho...87188#poststop

Look at the CX riders.. they are on 700C bikes and
lots of 'em can hop like mad. It's a useful skill but I
don't see much need to use it for fun (on a road bike).

hippy

Bunny hopping is an essential skill, even on a road bike. I'e bunn
hopped plenty of times in the North Rd bunch on the hard days comin
through Brighton becuase there was no way I could swerve safely t
avoid potholes (when it's three wide and hammering, there's no time t
think anyway). And that's on my racing wheels... If they get a sligh
buckle, I fix it. If I hit a pothole at 50kph, they're going to be muc
worse off than a small bunnyhop.

If your wheels can't take it, keep trueing them until they can (machin
built wheels don;t stay true) or throw them in the bin

--
Shabby

Old January 19th 05, 11:23 PM
Marx SS

I was going to include a poll with various options but I don't know if
can here.

With the various replies I can see how each person takes their own vie
on it. Race situations, compared to jumping high etc.
Even though I don't own a roadbike, I reckon any amount of hopping o
flat ground (to avoid a pothole or bump) would no way place the sort o
sharp impact that rolling into & hitting a pothole or bump would be t
the wheel/rim.

-(i think I just echoed Shabby).

--
Marx SS

Old January 19th 05, 11:23 PM
Shabby

Shabby Wrote:
Bunny hopping is an essential skill, even on a road bike. I'e bunn
hopped plenty of times in the North Rd bunch on the hard days comin
through Brighton becuase there was no way I could swerve safely t
avoid potholes (when it's three wide and hammering, there's no time t
think anyway). And that's on my racing wheels... If they get a sligh
buckle, I fix it. If I hit a pothole at 50kph, they're going to be muc
worse off than a small bunnyhop.

If your wheels can't take it, keep trueing them until they can (machin
built wheels don;t stay true) or throw them in the bin.

Of course this doesn't apply to accidentally riding off a 10 ste
staircase you thought was a ramp, at 40kph, landing in the saddle, the
flying into a nearby cafe........ but I don't think many wheels ar
designed for that.

It's pretty hard to true wheels which are a D shape

--
Shabby

Old January 19th 05, 11:43 PM
Tamyka Bell

Shabby wrote:

Shabby Wrote:
Bunny hopping is an essential skill, even on a road bike. I'e bunny
hopped plenty of times in the North Rd bunch on the hard days coming
through Brighton becuase there was no way I could swerve safely to
avoid potholes (when it's three wide and hammering, there's no time to
think anyway). And that's on my racing wheels... If they get a slight
buckle, I fix it. If I hit a pothole at 50kph, they're going to be much
worse off than a small bunnyhop.

If your wheels can't take it, keep trueing them until they can (machine
built wheels don;t stay true) or throw them in the bin.

Of course this doesn't apply to accidentally riding off a 10 step
staircase you thought was a ramp, at 40kph, landing in the saddle, then
flying into a nearby cafe........ but I don't think many wheels are
designed for that.

It's pretty hard to true wheels which are a D shape.

--
Shabby

Did that really happen?!

Are there scars?

Old January 20th 05, 12:18 AM
Shabby

Tamyka Bell Wrote:

Did that really happen?!

Are there scars?

So it's true, chicks do dig scars....

Yes, about 4 years ago, early one foggy Melb winter morning. On Spence
street there's a bridge which has a three sections you can walk down
Had been commuting that way to work for a couple of years, alway
taking the middle one. Then one day got held up by some MTB'ers s
decided to overtake on the LHS at high speed (approx 40 kph becuase
needed to get past them). Got to where the ramp on the other sectio
is, and the ground disappeared from under me (a staircase about 1
steps).

Landed in the saddle after having one of those road runner moments whe
you realise you're in the air and start to fall. Then had one of those
"I'm going to hold this together" moments where I kept going forward
but then somehow ended up in a cafe on the LHS. Luckily there was noon
at the table I landed on, and noone walking toward me (100kg of ride
and bike at 40kph and head height - could have been very ugly).

The next thing I hear is the MTBers: "Are You OK?", followed by "Di
you mean to do that?". Sure, why not do some trials on your road bik
on your way to work.....

The scars are all a blur on top of each other on my elbows anyway (se
earlier thread about Judo and crashing). Luckily it was winter and
had lots of clothes on, so most of the damage to me was bruising. Whic
brings me to the worst of it. If you're thinking of jumping your roa
bike at speed off a 1.5 metre drop, try not to land in the saddle....

The bike: the ride home wasn't much fun as the forks were bent (kep
steering left for some reason....) and the wheels were both buckled.
drove to work that day, and for a week until the bruising disappeared
But the trusty Avanti frame survived it all (in fact it outlive
multiple groupsets and wheelsets, only to be retired recently).

The steps have now been bollarded off with signs warning you not t
ride off them

--
Shabby

Old January 20th 05, 12:32 AM
hippy

"Shabby"
So it's true, chicks do dig scars....

I saw a "Scars are tattoos with better stories" sticker
on a car somewhere a fortnight ago.

hippy
- Off to have himself a crash... :-)

Old January 20th 05, 01:42 AM
mfhor

Shabby Wrote:
Bunny hopping is an essential skill, even on a road bike. I'e bunn
hopped plenty of times in the North Rd bunch on the hard days comin
through Brighton becuase there was no way I could swerve safely t
avoid potholes (when it's three wide and hammering, there's no time t
think anyway). And that's on my racing wheels... If they get a sligh
buckle, I fix it. If I hit a pothole at 50kph, they're going to be muc
worse off than a small bunnyhop.

If your wheels can't take it, keep trueing them until they can (machin
built wheels don;t stay true) or throw them in the bin.

Ok, lets ANALYSE this: any impact loading on metal is going to fatigu
it over time. If you repeatedly jump gutters on your roadie to impres
your (teenage) mates, you're going to stress your rim, which i
eventually going to succumb, or your spokes, or your hub flanges, o
your axle. They're less designed for this, and more for low rotatin
weight. If it is to avoid a pothole, well, a nicely timed, well-lande
jump (i.e., parallel to the ground, landing equally on both wheels
legs absorb a lot of the shock) is always going to do less damage tha
the right-angled bitumen or fallen rider waiting for you just ahead
So, CX riders - have you seen their tyres? 28mm minimum, av. 32mm -
whole lot more air/rubber to absorb shock than lightweight road tyres
Pros have race mechanics to make everything better - I should know. Yo
see what some of them roll in on, you wonder how they got in. But you'v
got ALL NIGHT to make it all right, or you borrow a wheel off anothe
team. But most of them are pretty good at handling a bike: you don'
see the ordinary results of basic bike handling mistakes that roll int
the average shop. A top sportsperson knows how to handle his/her tools
You do see accident damage, but then, the cost/benefit/result nexus i
a bit more clearly defined in pro ranks. Us? Well, I suppose we jus
try and stay out of trouble - don't we? Or do we try out (badly
clumsily) what we see the pros do on TV, $%&@ it up, and pay the pric
(dollars/skin)? Beach Rd., on any Satdie morning . . . don't get m
started . . .

M "Addition to Bontrager's Dictum:'Safe, Flashy, Effective (riding)
choose any two' (?)"

--
mfhor

hub bearing pre-load? [email protected] Techniques 26 May 14th 05 09:01 PM
vertical jump oj Unicycling 70 March 31st 05 06:15 AM
Roadies don’t jump the bump? NickZX6R Australia 4 January 20th 05 02:06 AM
"How do you jump off one of those?" Mike Causer Recumbent Biking 1 August 11th 04 12:44 AM
Miscellaneous Questions about Skills Carol McLean Unicycling 19 April 15th 04 11:32 PM