What makes a bicycle-safe drive-up window?

Old February 8th 08, 07:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.tech

Default What makes a bicycle-safe drive-up window?

On Feb 5, 9:54 pm, wrote:
A question's come up regarding zoning requirements, to try to ensure
safe bicyclist access to drive-up windows. A person who's pushing for
that requirement was told that "safe bicyclist access" is probably too
vague to be meaningful or enforceable.

I find this topic quite amusing. My local bank, which I frequent with
some regularity on my bicycle, removed its pedestrian and wheelchair
friendly ATM station some years ago leaving only the drive up. The
drive up ATM, to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, has
Braille instruction. From the way the drivers often behave when I am
in line on my cycle ahead of them, the Braille is needed. They'll honk
and yell for me to use the walk-up. There is no walk-up. The drive
through is also the walk-up window. At least there are speed bumps,
but I pity the blind wheelchair user who must navigate over them
before searching for the Braille instruction on ATM use. I wonder if
the drivers honk at wheelchairs.

I'd say if you want a bicycle safe-drive through, see to it that every
bank has a walk up window on a sidewalk or pedestrian area. That
should make it safer for pedestrians, cyclists, and the handicapped
until the SUV owners start using their offroad capabilities to drive
on sidwalks to avoid congestion on the streets and highways.

Cheers,
MD
Old February 8th 08, 07:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.tech

On Feb 8, 1:26 pm, " wrote:
On Feb 5, 9:54 pm, wrote: A question's come up regarding zoning requirements, to try to ensure
safe bicyclist access to drive-up windows. A person who's pushing for
that requirement was told that "safe bicyclist access" is probably too
vague to be meaningful or enforceable.

I find this topic quite amusing. My local bank, which I frequent with
some regularity on my bicycle, removed its pedestrian and wheelchair
friendly ATM station some years ago leaving only the drive up. The
drive up ATM, to comply with the Americans with Disabilities Act, has
Braille instruction.

I'd wager that the ATM had braile even when there was a walk-up. The
drive-thru ATMs have braile because it's cheaper to make a million of
the same than 500,000 with and 500,000 without.

From the way the drivers often behave when I am
in line on my cycle ahead of them, the Braille is needed. They'll honk
and yell for me to use the walk-up. There is no walk-up. The drive
through is also the walk-up window. At least there are speed bumps,
but I pity the blind wheelchair user who must navigate over them
before searching for the Braille instruction on ATM use. I wonder if
the drivers honk at wheelchairs.

Those less fortunate and/or able tend to get a pass. Do they honk at
you before you're at the ATM, or when you're there? If they are
honking saying "use the walk-up" before you get there, I suggest
turning and saying "why don't you use the walk-up? It appears you're
the one who needs the exercise, I powered my vehicle here with my own
2 legs".

The only time I really see honking @ the ATM around here is when
someone completes their transaction but insists on spending another 3
minutes putting everything in it's proper place before pulling away.
In that case, I believe it's well deserved. Pull forward a car
length, stop, and then get your 20 things situated just right while
the person behind you is using the machine you're finished with.

I'd say if you want a bicycle safe-drive through, see to it that every
bank has a walk up window on a sidewalk or pedestrian area.

Walk-up is often going to be less convient than drive-up for a
cyclist.

That
should make it safer for pedestrians, cyclists, and the handicapped
until the SUV owners start using their offroad capabilities to drive
on sidwalks to avoid congestion on the streets and highways.

We already do that in some situations
Old February 8th 08, 08:28 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,rec.bicycles.tech

On Fri, 8 Feb 2008 10:55:05 -0800 (PST), "
wrote:

I'd wager that the ATM had braile even when there was a walk-up. The
drive-thru ATMs have braile because it's cheaper to make a million of
the same than 500,000 with and 500,000 without.

Dear Dank,

Actually, braille was required by law:
http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_010.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel
Old February 8th 08, 09:15 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.tech

wrote:
I'd wager that the ATM had braile even when there was a walk-up. *The
drive-thru ATMs have braile because it's cheaper to make a million of
the same than 500,000 with and 500,000 without.

Dear Dank,

Actually, braille was required by law:
*http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_010.html

Cheers,

Carl Fogel

Interesting. It appears I stand corrected. I don't know where I
heard the "less expensive than making 2 kinds" thing, but I've been of
that impression for a long time. Thanks for the info, anyway.
Old February 9th 08, 02:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc, rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

wrote:
I'd wager that the ATM had braile even when there was a walk-up. *The
drive-thru ATMs have braile because it's cheaper to make a million of
the same than 500,000 with and 500,000 without.

Dear Dank,

Actually, braille was required by law:
*http://www.straightdope.com/classics/a4_010.html

Cheers,