Shimano "high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers"?

Old September 21st 05, 06:15 PM
Dave

Default Shimano "high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers"?

While reading this article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005...sults/eicma052

I came across this paragraph:

"Available in Spring 2006, the FC-R700 uses Shimano's Hollowtech II
technology with 50/34 chainrings. The new chainset doesn't slot into
any of Shimano's existing component groups (Shimano lists it among
'non-series components' such as adjustable-reach brake levers and
legacy high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers), but is designated
as being Ultegra quality."

What are the "high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers" they refer
to? I thought the only 8-speed levers made any more were Sora???

Old September 21st 05, 07:08 PM
bfd

The quote is referring to a number of components Shimano is marketing
that can be used with any group, which includes 8 speed STI lever, know
as R500:

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...1273 26035263

Old September 21st 05, 07:54 PM
Matt O'Toole

bfd wrote:

The quote is referring to a number of components Shimano is marketing
that can be used with any group, which includes 8 speed STI lever,
know as R500:

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...1273 26035263

Any group? You mean they don't have to match? Will the fashion police come
after me? Gol-ly!

Matt O.

Old September 21st 05, 07:58 PM
Matt O'Toole

Dave wrote:

While reading this article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005...sults/eicma052

I came across this paragraph:

"Available in Spring 2006, the FC-R700 uses Shimano's Hollowtech II
technology with 50/34 chainrings. The new chainset doesn't slot into
any of Shimano's existing component groups (Shimano lists it among
'non-series components' such as adjustable-reach brake levers and
legacy high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers), but is designated
as being Ultegra quality."

What are the "high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers" they refer
to? I thought the only 8-speed levers made any more were Sora???

Sora levers are very high quality -- arguably they shift as well or better than
anything else, and are very durable too. The problem with them is they can't be
shifted from the drops, unless you have thumbs like Uma Thurman's in that Tom
Robbins movie.

Matt O.

Old September 21st 05, 08:14 PM
Dave

Matt O'Toole wrote:
Dave wrote:

[...]

Agreed that Sora's are good quality, shame about the crippled design.

As I still have several 8-speed bikes, its nice to know there are still
shifters available. I had no idea these were out there.

Old September 21st 05, 08:36 PM
Matt O'Toole

Dave wrote:

Matt O'Toole wrote:

Dave wrote:

While reading this article:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2005...sults/eicma052

I came across this paragraph:

"Available in Spring 2006, the FC-R700 uses Shimano's Hollowtech II
technology with 50/34 chainrings. The new chainset doesn't slot into
any of Shimano's existing component groups (Shimano lists it among
'non-series components' such as adjustable-reach brake levers and
legacy high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers), but is
designated as being Ultegra quality."

As I still have several 8-speed bikes, its nice to know there are
still shifters available. I had no idea these were out there.

I had no idea either. However, if you need new shifters anyway, you might as
well buy a new cassette and chain too, and "upgrade" to 9 speed.

OTOH, 8sp chains and cassettes are, and probably will be, cheaper for a few more
years.

Matt O.

Old September 21st 05, 08:56 PM
bfd

Check out Sheldon's site, he has STI levers for 7, 8 and 9 speed he

http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/shifters.html

Old September 21st 05, 09:34 PM
Scott

Yea, you might as well upgrade to 9sp, unless you specifically want 8sp
for cyclocross, which is much better in the mud than 9sp or, egad...,
10sp.

Old September 22nd 05, 01:34 AM
Jasper Janssen

On 21 Sep 2005 10:15:37 -0700, "Dave" wrote:

What are the "high-quality eight-speed brake/shift levers" they refer
to? I thought the only 8-speed levers made any more were Sora???

ST-R500.

Jasper
Old September 22nd 05, 02:56 AM
StaceyJ

bfd wrote:
The quote is referring to a number of components Shimano is marketing
that can be used with any group, which includes 8 speed STI lever, know
as R500:

http://bike.shimano.com/catalog/cycl...1273 26035263

It appears that these are Tiagra levers with 8s detents.

SYJ

Dura Ace Triple RP10128 Techniques 17 March 31st 05 04:42 AM
quality 8 speed MTB shifters? (or 9 spd shifter with 8 spd cassette)? Pizza Man Techniques 40 October 18th 04 06:29 AM
Shimano 8 speed to 9 speed Paul Nevai Techniques 10 October 11th 04 06:18 AM
9 speed shifters/cassettes upgrade for 8 speed Shimano 600 hub FJS Techniques 18 October 4th 04 05:50 AM
High quality Single Speed Bicycle on a budget? Lobo Tommy General 24 April 3rd 04 09:01 AM