2 kids one bike

Old April 10th 06, 01:52 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

Default 2 kids one bike

Hi
I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs. I thought about the
trailer bike extension for the 4 year old and a seat for the 2 year
old, seems like it would be hard to keep balanced. I also thought about
the burley bike trailer for 2 but seems as though it would be lopsided
and I don't know if my 4 year old would be ok in there, she is pretty
tall. I live in a pretty small town and would love to commute when
nice, any suggestions, any experience. Thanks Anne

Old April 10th 06, 02:21 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

earthmama wrote:
Hi
I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs. I thought about the
trailer bike extension for the 4 year old and a seat for the 2 year
old, seems like it would be hard to keep balanced. I also thought about
the burley bike trailer for 2 but seems as though it would be lopsided
and I don't know if my 4 year old would be ok in there, she is pretty
tall. I live in a pretty small town and would love to commute when
nice, any suggestions, any experience. Thanks Anne

On several occasions I've seen a lady pulling a trail-a-bike and a
trailer. The whole setup was About 18 feet long, and slow going I'm
guessing. But it seems to work for her as I've seen her numerous times.
Old April 10th 06, 02:50 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

earthmama wrote:
I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs. I thought about the
trailer bike extension for the 4 year old and a seat for the 2 year
old, seems like it would be hard to keep balanced. I also thought about
the burley bike trailer for 2 but seems as though it would be lopsided
and I don't know if my 4 year old would be ok in there, she is pretty
tall. I live in a pretty small town and would love to commute when
nice, any suggestions, any experience.

Where there's a will, there's a way. Trailers aren't very sensitive to
the side-to-side loading, so I wouldn't worry too much about it being
lopsided with a heavier child on one side. Not sure about the Burley,
but there certainly are trailers large enough fit a 4 and 2 year old
together. When my daughter was two I went cycling with a friend on my
tandem and we towed his trailer with his 6 year-old, 4 year-old, and my
2 year-old. We went on a number of rides with that arrangement and
there was plenty of room, even when some of them started nodding off
and shifting around. Unfortunately I've forgotten the make of trailer.

The longest arrangement I've seen was a couple riding their tandem with
a tandem tag-along bike for their two older kids and followed by a
trailer with the two younger kids.

OTOH, in Europe it's rather common to see children up to 2 or 3 in a
front-mounted seat while their older sibling sits in a seat on the
back.

Whatever arrangement you use, I'd recommend a few trial runs with sacks
of potatos or something similar substituting for the kids so you can
get used to any balance changes and also try some quick turns and stops
to see how those are affected.

Old April 10th 06, 09:42 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc

earthmama wrote:
Hi
I was wondering if it was possible to take 2 children on a bike. I
have a 4 year old 38lbs and a 2 year old 26lbs.

I have taken my two and four-y-os in a double trailer. It was a
squeeze in Winter coats and they sometimes bicker. It is a heavy load
on a hill but no imbalance problems. When I take them both now, I use
a bike seat and the trailer but I tend only to do local trips

best wishes
james