Flat bar + Aerobar => Great Touring?

Old October 3rd 04, 07:21 AM
Running Bear

Default Flat bar + Aerobar => Great Touring?

Hi:

A LBS guy told me he had great comfort and efficiency in riding with
aerobar mounted on top of a flat bar. Although I have never tried
this combination, I reason that it somehow incorporates the best of
the two worlds. Does any one of you try such combination with great
satisfaction?
Old October 3rd 04, 05:30 PM
Daniel Crispin

I want to do the same thing on my hybrid and asked about it but no one seems
to have tried it. If you do find out outside the forum please let me know.

m...

Old October 3rd 04, 06:10 PM
DRS

"Running Bear" wrote in message
Hi:

A LBS guy told me he had great comfort and efficiency in riding with
aerobar mounted on top of a flat bar. Although I have never tried
this combination, I reason that it somehow incorporates the best of
the two worlds. Does any one of you try such combination with great
satisfaction?

I've done something similar with flat bars and mini-aerobars (Cinnelli
ripoffs). It's a fantastic combination. I get to tootle around slow areas
like shops sitting fairly upright and then I can get my head down and my bum
up on the open road.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old October 5th 04, 03:52 PM
BanditManDan

Running Bear Wrote:
Hi:

A LBS guy told me he had great comfort and efficiency in riding with
aerobar mounted on top of a flat bar. Although I have never tried
this combination, I reason that it somehow incorporates the best of
the two worlds. Does any one of you try such combination with great
satisfaction?

I had my hybrid setup like this with great success. It mostly gave me
more hand positions and made longer rides MUCH more comfortable
(especially on my lower back).

Dan.

--
BanditManDan

Old October 5th 04, 04:38 PM
Sam Huffman

(Running Bear) writes:

Sam Huffman wrote in message ...
(Running Bear) writes:

A LBS guy told me he had great comfort and efficiency in riding with
aerobar mounted on top of a flat bar. Although I have never tried
this combination, I reason that it somehow incorporates the best of
the two worlds. Does any one of you try such combination with great
satisfaction?

Sure, this works great. I just got back from a 3-day tour with aerobars on my
flat-bar touring bike.

I don't use them for increased speed, just as an opportunity to get my weight
off of my wrists. I do notice an approximate 10% speed increase on the aero
bars vs the flat bars at pedalling speeds, and more at coasting speeds.

On a 10-mile 5% descent with trailer in tow, I was able to average 40mph on
the aero-bars. When I sat up a couple times to rest my legs my speed slowed to
around 35mph.

Sam

I'm pretty new to cycling, so please pardon my bursts of curiosity ...

It seems that some of you may be touring on a hybrid/mountain bike.
If so, what model of bike do you use? Does it have enough eyelets and
strong wheels? How do you compare this configuration with dropbar +
aerobar?

My touring bike is a Giant Sedona rigid fork mountain bike. Since I pull a
trailer (BOB YAK --
http://www.bobtrailers.com/index.html?main=yak.html ), I
don't have a need for panniers, but the bike does have mounts at least for
rear, not sure about front. I haven't re-geared the bike, so the top-end isn't
quite as high as I'd like, but the mountain bike gearing is great for slogging
up hills. The wheels seem plenty strong, I've never had a problem with them.

I have no doubt that drop-bars + aero-bars would be just as nice for touring,
but in my case I had replaced this bike with a fully suspended mountain bike,
and after converting this one to a commuter (fenders, reflective tape, lights,
etc..) it seemed like a natural fit for touring. I also prefer the 21-speed
drivetrain, as it seems a lot more resilient than the 27-speed on my
road-bike.

Sam
Old October 5th 04, 10:44 PM
Chris Neary

A LBS guy told me he had great comfort and efficiency in riding with
aerobar mounted on top of a flat bar. Although I have never tried
this combination, I reason that it somehow incorporates the best of
the two worlds. Does any one of you try such combination with great
satisfaction?

Scott used to make a handle bar which was essentially a flat bar with
barends which looped around to make an aerobar. Great bar for just what you
describe.

I have this bar on an old mountain bike which I use for touring. The
barflats and "ends" are perfect for climbing or easy riding while the
"aerobar" is a nice alternative position to get my weight off my wrists or
for busting big headwinds.

Chris Neary

"Science, freedom, beauty, adventu what more could
you ask of life? Bicycling combined all the elements I
loved" - Adapted from a quotation by Charles Lindbergh