Question--Adjusting handlebars

Old July 1st 05, 05:35 AM
Lauri

Default Question--Adjusting handlebars

I'm still fairly new to biking, so this will undoubtedly be a repeat
question. Google wasn't helpful, probably because I didn't know the
correct terms for what I'm about to ask.

I have a Trek 4500 that I bought in 2001. I barely rode it until this
year, so it's basically brand-new. The Trek website tells me that
this is a "hardtail" mountain bike, but I'm using it to bike around
town for fun and excercise. There are shocks in the front. It's a
19.5" bike (I have long legs...I'm 5'11").

Here's the question: Is it possible to raise the handlebars on this
bike? Again, from the Trek site I see that I have a "direct connect"
type stem, as illustrated here (figure 2): http://tinyurl.com/aw7v4.
Since there are no adjustment instructions for this type handlebar,
I'm guessing that it'll have to be modified a different way. Am I
missing something? After just a few miles (5 or 6), I start to get a
cramp in my lower back and I feel better if I sit up a little more,
with just my fingertips on the handlebar. Obviously I can't sit that
way for long because I can't brake or shift like that. I think my
back would feel better if I were less "hunched over".

Suggestions? I have no problem with taking it to my local bike shop
if that's what needs to be done; just thought I'd ask here first.
There isn't any obvious way to just raise the handlebars up. I'm
thinking that that piece with the bolts in it could be flipped around,
but that looks kind of nutty and complicated because the brakes and
everything would have to be re-situated. Also, it would move the
handlebars a LOT closer to the seat, which might be extreme.

Lauri in WA

I like my email spamless
Old July 1st 05, 05:53 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

Here's the question: Is it possible to raise the handlebars on this
bike? Again, from the Trek site I see that I have a "direct connect"
type stem, as illustrated here (figure 2): http://tinyurl.com/aw7v4.
Since there are no adjustment instructions for this type handlebar,
I'm guessing that it'll have to be modified a different way. Am I
missing something? After just a few miles (5 or 6), I start to get a
cramp in my lower back and I feel better if I sit up a little more,
with just my fingertips on the handlebar. Obviously I can't sit that
way for long because I can't brake or shift like that. I think my
back would feel better if I were less "hunched over".

Lauri: The problem you're having is due to the stock stem being a bit long
(and perhaps low) on a 19.5" 4500. You're built with your height in your
legs, with less in the torso and arms. The typical men's bike assumes
otherwise. What you need is a new stem, one that's both shorter
front-to-back, and considerably taller. These are relatively inexpensive
(maybe $30 or so) and can usually be installed without having to re-cable
anything. At most 5 minute's work. My guess is that, if you're still local
to the shop that sold it to you, they'll charge only for the part and not
any labor.

Oh, one other potential problem area. If your seat is tilted down at the
nose, that will greatly exacerbate any back or shoulder issues, because your
body is being pushed forward (into the bars), and you're using your arms to
push back during the entire ride. Make sure you can set the seat level, and
if it's not comfortable in that position, try a different saddle. But do
keep in mind that the seat will probably become more comfortable when you
change the handlebar stem (because you'll have less pressure on the front of
the saddle, where neither you nor the saddle have much padding).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Old July 1st 05, 04:22 PM
Lauri

On Fri, 01 Jul 2005 04:53:58 GMT, "Mike Jacoubowsky"
wrote:

Lauri: The problem you're having is due to the stock stem being a bit long
(and perhaps low) on a 19.5" 4500. You're built with your height in your
legs, with less in the torso and arms. The typical men's bike assumes
otherwise. What you need is a new stem, one that's both shorter
front-to-back, and considerably taller. These are relatively inexpensive
(maybe $30 or so) and can usually be installed without having to re-cable
anything. At most 5 minute's work. My guess is that, if you're still local
to the shop that sold it to you, they'll charge only for the part and not
any labor.

Very good....I'll take the bike into the shop tomorrow. (BTW, I love
my local bike shop. The guys who work there, including the owner, are
laid-back yet very professional and all very enthusiastic about
bikes.)

keep in mind that the seat will probably become more comfortable when you
change the handlebar stem (because you'll have less pressure on the front of
the saddle, where neither you nor the saddle have much padding).

Yep, this is exactly what's happening. I'm feeling like I'm squishing
myself up near the front of the saddle. I'll check the adjustment
there as well.

Thanks for the helpful advice, Mike!

Lauri in WA

I like my email spamless
Old July 1st 05, 05:18 PM
Peter Cole

Lauri wrote:
[...]

What you have is known as a "threadless stem" (for unimportant
historical reasons). They can be purchased in a variety of lengths and
angles to adjust the height and "reach" of the handlebars. There may be
a certain amount of adjustability in the current stem (more likely not,
as that's the way they're sold).

New stems are not too expensive (~$25), and the installation is simple
if there is enough slack in the cables.

A good bike shop should help with fitting both pre and post sales --
it's an important step. Spend the time & (few hopefully) $$ to get the
bike set up comfortably.