Dealing with heat

Old June 29th 05, 07:29 PM
Dan

dgk wrote:
I forgot the f******g fender. I have one of those snap on fenders for
the front and it will stay nice and dry in the garage. I, on the other
hand, will get very wet.

Not sure what kind of bike you're riding (road, I imagine) but I
recently got a set of "freddy fenders" from Performance for my trek
hybrid. They fit very well and stay on permanently. I ride frequently
on a crushed limestone bike path which is dusty as the Joad's truck; the
fenders at least prevent my water bottle from becoming encrusted with
the stuff.

Dan
Old June 30th 05, 02:57 PM
The Wogster

dgk wrote:
On Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:31:53 -0700, "Claire Petersky"
wrote:

Mostly cloudy skies today. High 68F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Currently 57F, light rain.

I gotta put on the bike gear and get out of here -- see you later!

Sunny and steam bath in NYC. Only 82F but you can squeeze the air and
have it rain. It was better before the sun came out. We're promised
torrential downpours just in time for my commute home and radar sure
seems to agree. Today is the first day that I'm biking since my knee
acted up and I didn't want to punt so I dressed for rain. Bike shorts,
bike shirt, and sandals. Brought the big light for the front and some
blinkies for the rear.

Here in Toronto, the smog is so thick, you can write Ohio and
Pennsylvania pollution sucks in the air. All this weighed down by a
wall of humidity. If we get that forecast high of 33C (91F) the
humidity index will be well past 40.

Old June 30th 05, 05:10 PM
gds

wrote:

Mostly cloudy skies today. High 68F. Winds SW at 5 to 10 mph.

Currently 57F, light rain.

I gotta put on the bike gear and get out of here -- see you later!

Sunny and steam bath in NYC. Only 82F but you can squeeze the air and
have it rain. It was better before the sun came out. We're promised
torrential downpours just in time for my commute home and radar sure
seems to agree. Today is the first day that I'm biking since my knee
acted up and I didn't want to punt so I dressed for rain. Bike shorts,
bike shirt, and sandals. Brought the big light for the front and some
blinkies for the rear.

Here in Toronto, the smog is so thick, you can write Ohio and
Pennsylvania pollution sucks in the air. All this weighed down by a
wall of humidity. If we get that forecast high of 33C (91F) the
humidity index will be well past 40.

It's supposed to hit 110 F here in Tucson today. Guess its time to put
away my sweaters.

Old June 30th 05, 08:35 PM
Theodore Morton

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 13:27:17 -0500, "Pat" wrote:

: You asked the question of the day! 8D
:
: I just got back from a 6km ride, temp about 30C (86F).
:
: My roommates went out for a hike at 8am and were still out when I left for
: my ride at 11:20.
:
: When I got back I had a HUGE grin on my face and my roomies were saying
: "Chris, you really shoulda gone out earlier. How the heck do you deal with
: that heat? It's nasty!"
:
: I LOVE the heat - it's like a huge warm hug. I'm used to MINUS 30 in the
: winter and I hate being cold.
:
: OK - to address your question - I do these things:
:
: - don't eat a lot before a ride on a hot day.
: - "pre-load" the fluids - usually a large glass of half water, half
: cranberry juice.
: - take three magnesium supplements and two multi-vitamins with the juice.
: - bring a bottle of water/juice mix with a teaspoon of salt mixed in and
: drink about a bottle an hour. (half or full quart, I think?)
: - clothing: coolmax shortsleeved jersey, offwhite in colour (reflects a
lot
: of light & the mesh breathes very well)
: - microfiber "bermuda shorts" - breathable, comfy (not form fitting), and
: wick moisture away
: - cotton/poly blend "boxer brief" underwear - keeps things from *ahem*
: sticking...
: - thin synthetic socks and jungle moccassin loafers; generally keeps feel
: "coolish" though I'm sure I don't have the best footwear (I'm using
platform
: pedals, not clipless)
:
: Hope this helps!
: Chris

Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

Pat in TX

Actually, anything over 70 F is hot. Unless you have bad circulation.
Sweat just starts pouring out and never stops. Ugh. Texas was a
you-know-what oven in Summer.

Look at where the wealthy go in Summer. And have for decades. It sure
isn't to the Southwest or Florida.

Ted Morton
Old June 30th 05, 08:46 PM
Theodore Morton

On Mon, 27 Jun 2005 22:30:53 -0700, Mark Hickey
wrote:

catzz66 wrote:

C.J.Patten wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

Okay, I'm confused. you actually think 86 F is hot?

Well... it'll be 96 tomorrow... and we do get 100+ from time to time.
I guess my point is, what some consider hot, others don't.

It's not unusual for it to be near 80 in the a.m. and mid 90s by the
afternoon this time of the year in North Texas so the time of day makes
a lot of difference.

There's a lot of days here (near Phoenix, Arizona) where it doesn't
get DOWN to 86 F. My afternoon ride today was "only" about 105 or so
- 110 F isn't all that unusual.

snip

My God, this sounds like a living Hell. Wait a minute, maybe it IS
Hell! Forced to sleep at night with the windows closed and the air
conditioning on. Gives me a heat headache just to think about it. If
not Hell, then some sort of penal colony.

It's similar I guess to the middle east. From all the pics I see of
that place, it's just another desert. Awful. No forests to cool them
off in Suumer. Yep, a Living Hell. Can't imagine choosing to live
there, or wanting to stay, unless one likes punishing oneself.
Definitely not on the "Best of Planet Earth" video.

Ted Morton
Old June 30th 05, 09:16 PM
gds

wrote:

catzz66 wrote:

C.J.Patten wrote:
"Pat" wrote in message

[...]

There are love the desert folks and hate the desert folks. I'm in the
former group. Even at 110 here today I got in a nice ride in the
morning. 9 months of the year it's perect out here. The other 3 months
are better than summers or winters in the norhteast or upper midwest
- at least for me.

Old July 1st 05, 02:35 AM
Mark Hickey

Theodore Morton wrote:

Mark Hickey wrote:

There's a lot of days here (near Phoenix, Arizona) where it doesn't
get DOWN to 86 F. My afternoon ride today was "only" about 105 or so
- 110 F isn't all that unusual.

snip

My God, this sounds like a living Hell. Wait a minute, maybe it IS
Hell! Forced to sleep at night with the windows closed and the air
conditioning on. Gives me a heat headache just to think about it. If
not Hell, then some sort of penal colony.

Far from it - just check the growth rate for the Phoenix, Arizona area
and you'll see that it obviously has something going for it. One
thing is that you can drive 2-3 hours to the north and be in MUCH
cooler surroundings up by "the rim".

The other thing is that, yes, while 110 degrees is plenty hot it's the
WORST weather I have to put up with all year. No freezing rain,
slush, sleet, damp, cold drizzly days where the sun hides for weeks on
end. None o' that, thank you very much.

It's similar I guess to the middle east. From all the pics I see of
that place, it's just another desert. Awful. No forests to cool them
off in Suumer. Yep, a Living Hell. Can't imagine choosing to live
there, or wanting to stay, unless one likes punishing oneself.
Definitely not on the "Best of Planet Earth" video.

You'd probably be surprised. The evenings DO cool down a lot more
than most places - typically 30 degrees F or so... and even in the
hottest part of the day, if you're not in the sun it's not really all
that bad.

Mark "it's a dry heat - a BIG dry heat" Hickey
Habanero Cycles
http://www.habcycles.com
Home of the $695 ti frame
Old July 2nd 05, 03:22 PM
TomP

Drink water, listen to your body. 90+F. no problem for a lizard like
me. At the end of a hot day ride, I drink a concentrated helping of Gator
Aid powder.

catzz66 wrote:

I started riding again last fall and had been riding about every day
till I broke my arm and collarbone which knocked me off schedule for a
few weeks. When that happened, the temps were in the 70s and 80s most
days. Now it is quite a lot hotter. How do you all deal with the heat?

I've been wearing light colored clothing, drinking lots of water, etc.
I also tried wearing sandals instead of running shoes and that seemed to
help as well. Usually I ride before the sun gets all the way up and the
heat has not been a problem, but on the weekends I ride longer distances
and can't really avoid it.

P.S. I put an extra bottle rack on my old steel frame Fuji using zip
ties and it is working out great so far.

--
Tp,

-------- __o
----- -\. -------- __o
--- ( )/ ( ) ---- -\.
-------------------- ( )/ ( )

No Lawsuit Ever Fixed A Moron...

Old July 2nd 05, 05:03 PM
catzz66

Picked up a couple of jerseys after my ride this a.m. Will give them a
shot this weekend. Thanks for all the tips.

Heat? Yeah, but what about wind? Pat General 10 June 10th 05 08:04 PM
We're having a heat wave Maggie General 7 February 26th 05 06:50 AM
heat gear dreaded General 2 August 24th 04 12:17 AM
Where's Mike Imrem now? 88' heat cancels football practice! crit pro Racing 4 August 5th 04 05:40 PM
PolarWrap heat exchange masks? David Wean General 1 January 12th 04 11:08 AM