Recumbent bikes off-road?

Old November 17th 05, 12:24 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Recumbent bikes off-road?

"Mr Reality" wrote in message
ups.com...

George Cherry wrote:
I'm very interested in recumbent biking. Are they
hard to ride on woodland trails (not really steep
or very rough, but still not pavement)? I live in
Southern Maine, but I make it to Boston about
once a month. Any good bike stores in Boston or
Cambridge? How about Portland, Maine? I would
greatly appreciate any suggestions or advice.

George W. Cherry

Hi George

If you are near Boston, stop in and see Scott Chamberlain at
Belmont Wheelworks. I'd give them a call first to make sure Scott will
be there, he is the man when it comes to bents at Wheelworks.

A truly amazing relatively small store, with over 60 employees
the last I checked!

www.wheelworks.com

Rich Pinto
Bacchetta Bicycles

Ahhh, thanks very much.

George

Old November 17th 05, 07:27 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

In article ,
"George Cherry" wrote:

Thanks. The pictures "are worth a thousand words".
The trails you ride are quite a bit more level and smooth
than the Rachel Carson Wildlife Refuges I have in mind
here in Maine. And you appear to be about half my age,
so I'm skeptical I could trike on my trails.

George:

The trails I ride are usually evenly graded singletrack or fire trails
(not trials trails), but nearly all of them have short to moderate
length sections of 20-25% grade that make for a traction challenge when
climbing uphill. I usually plan my rides to descend the steepest stuff.
The sense of steepness doesn't transfer easily to a photograph.

A trail with obstacles will be easier to negotiate on a single-track
vehicle (such as a bike) than a triple-track vehicle like a trike.
Unless the trike is rear-heavy (or can be made so by leaning back), its
rear wheel will spin out easily on steep, loose uphills. Btw, I run
slick tires on my bikes since I spend most of my time riding on pavement.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old November 17th 05, 07:40 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

In article ,
"Cully_J" wrote:
I'm curious about that piece of cloth draped over the recumbent. I believe
it's used to prevent wind drag. Does it work?

Cully_J:

The primary function of the body sock is to reduce wind drag. It
becomes most useful in the 15-35 mph range, good for about 10% reduction
of drag. Slower than 15 mph it doesn't help as much, but it still keeps
me warm in the cold and protected from the direct sun when it's hot.
Faster than about 35-40 mph and the sock starts fluttering along the
free edge and loses its efficiency. That's why my typical maximum
speeds (50's mph) with the sock are not much greater than I get when
tucked in on an upright bike. But because I spend most of my time
riding between 15 and 35 mph, I enjoy the drag reduction most of the
time.

If it does, I'm going to satisfy my daughter and search for a pink polka dot
one.

The sock needs to be fitted to the bike. Melanie at Freeform Fashions
(831-429-5044) has created body socks for different bikes and fairings
and can make them using a variety of plain or patterned lycra.

--
Bill Bushnell
http://pobox.com/~bushnell/
Old November 25th 05, 08:37 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Sorry to get into this late, but I haven't been lurking as much as usual,
due to the lack of recumbent bike info in ARBR. Go figure.

Anyway, I have done plenty of off-road work on my Haluzak Traverse: USS,
front and rear suspension. Bought it for that purpose in 1998 when I lived
at the old Fort Ord in California, with miles and miles of offroad trails
through the old training areas (which had been demilitarized, so no
unexploded ordnance).

Does single track fine. Obviously, bunny hopping over ruts or stumps is not
a possibility, and I occasionally had some trouble in deep sand, but the
Traverse has served me well to this day.

Haluzak only made about 30 Traverses, I think. Have been out of production
for a while, and, no, mine is not for sale.

Bullwinkle: no longer in CA.

On 11/16/05 11:40 PM, in article
, "Bill Bushnell"

Old November 26th 05, 06:21 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On Fri, 25 Nov 2005 12:37:13 -0700, Bullwinkle
wrote:

Sorry to get into this late, but I haven't been lurking as much as usual,
due to the lack of recumbent bike info in ARBR. Go figure.

Anyway, I have done plenty of off-road work on my Haluzak Traverse: USS,
front and rear suspension. Bought it for that purpose in 1998 when I lived
at the old Fort Ord in California, with miles and miles of offroad trails
through the old training areas (which had been demilitarized, so no
unexploded ordnance).

Does single track fine. Obviously, bunny hopping over ruts or stumps is not
a possibility, and I occasionally had some trouble in deep sand, but the
Traverse has served me well to this day.

Haluzak only made about 30 Traverses, I think. Have been out of production
for a while, and, no, mine is not for sale.

Bullwinkle: no longer in CA.

------------------------

And now you live in one of the best US cycling cities, and I have not
seen you once on the streets/trails this year during my 8000 miles.

See ya on the Front Range Trail.

RollenSmoothe,
on the Blue Horizon

formerly at DLIWC, across the bay from Ft Ord

Old November 26th 05, 03:02 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

wrote:

[...]

You're absolutely right: an injury plus other obligations kept me off the
Traverse for the 2005 season, but I fully expect that once spring 2006
arrives I'll be back on the superb bike trails of Our Fair City, here on the
Front Range. They're simply too good to miss.

I'll keep my eyes peeled for the Blue Horizon.

By the way, I know all about DLI, but am having trouble with the "WC" part:
please enlighten me. Don't know when you were last there, but the last time
I was, they had closed off the DLI, with only a couple of ways in or out,
like all other military bases post-9/11. And if you remember how open the
place was, that was a real chore (and shame) to close it off.

Bullwinkle

Old November 26th 05, 03:32 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

West Coast

Old November 26th 05, 05:00 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

On 11/26/05 7:32 AM, in article ,
" wrote:

West Coast

Ah! Got it. When I was there they never called themselves that, they were
just the DlI, and grudgingly acknowledged that they had some remote sites.

Thanks for answering that: I've been racking my brain on what WC meant.
Water closet? Worker's Compensation?

Bullwinkle

Old November 27th 05, 05:48 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Bullwinkle" wrote in message
On 11/26/05 7:32 AM, in article
,
" wrote:

West Coast

Ah! Got it. When I was there they never called themselves that, they were
just the DlI, and grudgingly acknowledged that they had some remote sites.

Thanks for answering that: I've been racking my brain on what WC meant.
Water closet? Worker's Compensation?

Bullwinkle

Wind Cheetah?

Easy Rider (Recumbents) Michael J Rodney Sr. General 0 April 18th 05 09:05 AM
Autofaq now on faster server Simon Brooke UK 216 April 1st 05 10:09 AM
Truss instead of tube in bicycle frame? Rado bladteth Rzeznicki Techniques 55 November 7th 04 08:37 AM
Mutant Road Bikes Dave Mayer General 29 March 12th 04 06:48 AM
so many bike types - which is which? tsp General 11 October 15th 03 10:02 PM