New Rocket - Mystery Noise

Old November 27th 05, 09:47 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default New Rocket - Mystery Noise

Hi all. My new Rocket is doing fine and I am getting better at controlling
it. It seems like it will take some time, however, before it reaches the
second nature level of my mountain bike. Anyway, here's my question. I am
hearing a noise that I can't figure out. It only occurs when I'm riding the
bike, not when I run through gears, or break, or anything when it's on the
repair stand. The noise happens quite often, but not all the time. It
happens when I coast and/or when I pedal. It does not seem to stop when I
brake. It does not seem to be affected by the gear I'm in. So it's really
weird, what else is there? I thought, well, maybe the seat..as in one of the
differences between being on and off the bike is that the seat becomes much
more involved. Anyway, I thought I would toss this out there and see if
anyone can give me a place, or a method of identifying it. It's a mystery
noise.

Old November 27th 05, 11:31 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

"Richard Greenberg" wrote in message
[...]

Is it the tinfoil under your helmet rattling? Seriously though, It seems
like it's somehow hub/spoke related as the sound only occurs when the bike
is weighted. If it's a 'ping. ping' noise, look for a loose spoke(s). Do you
have a trainer. You could ride the bike in the trainer to see if the noise
is related to the back wheel, or to the front wheel if the back is quiet on
the trainer.

Old November 28th 05, 02:12 AM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Richard Greenberg wrote:
Hi all. My new Rocket is doing fine and I am getting better at controlling
it. It seems like it will take some time, however, before it reaches the
second nature level of my mountain bike....

I see you have discovered that steering a bicycle takes very little
force (a fact obscured by the force needed to support the upper body
with the arms while riding an upright). The habit of pulling on the
handlebars also needs to be broken.

Anyway, here's my question. I am
hearing a noise that I can't figure out. It only occurs when I'm riding the
bike, not when I run through gears, or break, or anything when it's on the
repair stand. The noise happens quite often, but not all the time. It
happens when I coast and/or when I pedal. It does not seem to stop when I
brake. It does not seem to be affected by the gear I'm in. So it's really
weird, what else is there? I thought, well, maybe the seat..as in one of the
differences between being on and off the bike is that the seat becomes much
more involved. Anyway, I thought I would toss this out there and see if
anyone can give me a place, or a method of identifying it. It's a mystery
noise.

This is where recording the noise and posting it to a website as a
digital audio file would be helpful. Unfortunately, most people lack
the proper tools to do this.
--
Tom Sherman - Fox River Valley

Old November 28th 05, 11:10 PM posted to alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent

Default Mystery Noise Found

Hi all. It turned out to be a reflector that came with the bike, stuck onto
the spokes in the rear (and front) wheels. After reading your comments, I
looked at the rear wheel and saw it (I saw it before but never suspected it
as a mystery noise culprit). After removing it the noise vanished. I guess
the weight on the bike put the spokes in such a position that this reflector
started vibrating and creating my mystery noise. Thanks for all of your
help.

[...]

Tic/Tinkle Noise From Loose Ball Hubs?? [email protected] Techniques 37 August 22nd 05 09:35 PM
mystery noise [email protected] UK 12 August 17th 05 01:39 PM
Noise from Sidi Dominator shoes? B. B. Kosicki Techniques 3 July 21st 05 06:51 AM
Help! Strange clunking noise... Matthew Myatt UK 4 September 1st 03 01:32 PM