Rusting spokes

Old August 2nd 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigBen

Default Rusting spokes

Hi All,

I have a cheap wheel, whose spokes are begining to rust.

The hub, is below what I consider acceptable.

Still, I would prefer to pay for a new wheel latter, rather that
sooner.

Therefore, any way I can stop/delay the rusting of the bloddy spokes -
they're not chromed, stainless, nothing like that, just nasty.

Old August 2nd 06, 11:30 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

pc blaster
in the nipples
gravity feed

Old August 3rd 06, 01:48 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
BigBen

On Thu, 03 Aug 2006 04:22:29 GMT, Werehatrack
wrote:

Clean them as best you can with steel wool and sandpaper, then paint
them..

Thanks, that makes all the sense, and seems easy to do. Probably try
some reflective shock spray colors, for the fun of it, too!

.and buy the replacement wheel *soon*, because spokes that are
rusty may not last long.

Yep... and I'll have the perfect excuse for the Mrs too :-)

Thanks!

Old August 3rd 06, 05:58 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

sand
coat with thinned linseed oil but the linseed attracts dirt
maybe clear something-a clear latex!!!! ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh clear latex.
linseed is essential wax for chips on a steel frame-axle
ends+nuts-dropouts
spokes flex and paint flakes!
inn fact, an expoeriment to paint with dayglo marking paints(a
negative) showed paint 'tileing' as on a dry lake or mud hole skim from
the paint over chain stays
that flex but much less than spokes off course

Old August 4th 06, 03:22 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Phil Lee, Squid

wrote:
pc blaster
in the nipples
gravity feed

Think of the children, Gene!
--
Phil Lee, Squid

Spoke tension question Gary Robinson Techniques 55 January 11th 06 12:24 AM
Spoke tension meter Ken Techniques 345 July 28th 05 04:54 PM
Snaping Spokes [email protected] Techniques 82 March 8th 05 05:34 PM
Wheel Rebuilding TheObieOne3226 Unicycling 16 January 1st 04 11:55 AM