RR: OctSNOWberfest

Old October 30th 06, 01:10 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
Ride-A-Lot

Default RR: OctSNOWberfest

[Inline at: http://tinyurl.com/wobxd]

I sat and stared at my bikes last night. Would the trails in Evergreen
be clear enough to ride or should I bring the road bike. It was a
choice as both rider groups would be there in the morning and then
partaking the the Octoberfest following the rides. After careful
consideration of the skinny tires on hilly roads with snow melting sand,
the idea of road rash from a fall made the decision easy. I'd go with
the fat tires and ride even if no one else was going to.

Arriving at the lake house, one couldn't help but notice the amount of
snow surrounding the area. At first all I saw were roadies, but soon
there were around ten of us ready for the Octsnowberfest ride. But
first we must be blessed by the tumbleweed on this very cool '61 Schwinn.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4925.jpg

The plan was to head up trailheads until we found one that was ridable.
We start at the golf course.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4927.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4928.jpg

I have no idea what the names of these trails are. All I know is that
there are ten trailheads around the lake house. We tried to stay on the
sunny side facing trails when possible. But sometimes your way can be
blocked by other objects.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4931.jpg

It's amazing how tame these elk are. We were just a few feet away.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4932.jpg

We gather to collect the group and then head out again.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4933.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4934.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4935.jpg

I'd say that about 75% of the trails were clean.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4936.jpg

But the 25% that were not clean, well...

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4937.jpg

In spite of the snow which was never more than 3" deep, everyone had a
great time.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4939.jpg

For some odd reason I found myself in the front of the pack on this
ride. It must of been my superior NJ ice riding skills or more likely
everyone going slow so they wouldn't get hurt.

Miles of fun, snow, and hidden rocks. Fun!

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4940.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4942.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4943.jpg

And then a slide down Didisse trail to the food, beer, and great people.

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4946.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4947.jpg

http://www.schnauzers.ws/images/102906/IMG_4948.jpg

--
o-o-o-o Ride-A-Lot o-o-o-o
www.schnauzers.ws
Old October 30th 06, 03:35 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike

Ride-A-Lot wrote:
[Inline at: http://tinyurl.com/wobxd]

I sat and stared at my bikes last night. Would the trails in Evergreen
be clear enough to ride or should I bring the road bike. It was a
choice as both rider groups would be there in the morning and then
partaking the the Octoberfest following the rides.

snip great RR

What I don't get is why Americans seem to think that Oktoberfest starts
in October. We had our "local Octoberfest" this weekend also .... Of
course in Munich it started on the 16th of Sept. and was over on
October 3rd ...but whose counting.

~327 days until Oktoberfest 2007.

Rant mode off ...

Old October 30th 06, 08:45 AM posted to alt.mountain-bike
LIBERATOR

Penguiny, why are there no pictures of you?

How can I make fun of you if you have no pictures of yourself?

Old October 30th 06, 04:06 PM posted to alt.mountain-bike
MattB

wrote:
Ride-A-Lot wrote:

[Inline at:
http://tinyurl.com/wobxd]

I sat and stared at my bikes last night. Would the trails in Evergreen
be clear enough to ride or should I bring the road bike. It was a
choice as both rider groups would be there in the morning and then
partaking the the Octoberfest following the rides.

snip great RR

What I don't get is why Americans seem to think that Oktoberfest starts
in October. We had our "local Octoberfest" this weekend also .... Of
course in Munich it started on the 16th of Sept. and was over on
October 3rd ...but whose counting.

~327 days until Oktoberfest 2007.

Rant mode off ...

Maybe it has something to do with the name? Just a guess...

Nice RR Mitch. It's much drier up here!

Matt

PS - spell check wants to change "reco" to recto. Ha!