Bicycle Fires

Old September 11th 12, 04:15 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_3_]

Default Bicycle Fires

ĄJones wrote:
I was riding with a group a few days ago; I'm usually a solo rider,
but made an exception.

Anyway, one of the riders had a head lamp with a li-po battery in his
pack. He, apparently, had some metallic tools in the pannier, also.
This caused a short circuit and the result was spectacular.

Once upon a time, I saw a napalm tank rupture and ignite on an F4
while it was on the ground at Qui Nhon... 'bout the same, only on a
smaller scale, of course. It happened on a long hill and it took him
several seconds to realize that he was burning.

Damn, those lithium-polymer batteries do burn merrily! Top it off, he
had a CG frame! And, to make matters even worse, he had just finished
an argument about CG frames.

Jones

Wow. Too bad nobody got a photo!

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old September 11th 12, 06:11 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
James[_8_]

On 11/09/12 13:15, Frank Krygowski wrote:
ĄJones wrote:
I was riding with a group a few days ago; I'm usually a solo rider,
but made an exception.

Anyway, one of the riders had a head lamp with a li-po battery in his
pack. He, apparently, had some metallic tools in the pannier, also.
This caused a short circuit and the result was spectacular.

Once upon a time, I saw a napalm tank rupture and ignite on an F4
while it was on the ground at Qui Nhon... 'bout the same, only on a
smaller scale, of course. It happened on a long hill and it took him
several seconds to realize that he was burning.

Damn, those lithium-polymer batteries do burn merrily! Top it off, he
had a CG frame! And, to make matters even worse, he had just finished
an argument about CG frames.

Wow. Too bad nobody got a photo!

I was thinking it would make a good advert for using a dynamo ;-)

--
JS.
Old September 13th 12, 02:55 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ĄJones

On Mon, 10 Sep 2012 23:15:04 -0400, in rec.bicycles.tech Frank
Krygowski wrote:

Wow. Too bad nobody got a photo!

It was a good thing he had his helmet on, huh?

Jones

Old September 13th 12, 02:59 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ĄJones

On Tue, 11 Sep 2012 15:11:40 +1000, in rec.bicycles.tech James
wrote:

I was thinking it would make a good advert for using a dynamo ;-)

Well, Li-Po batteries burn merrily; that's me point.

Also, they're highly toxic...

Of course, if that makes the bicycle faster or lighter, then **** the
whales, I say!!!

Jones

Old September 13th 12, 03:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll

I'M ASSHOLE DEEP IN batteries, big ones small ones tall ones ect...
good idea check on the temps when charging or draining.

and there's a halon B Sedan extingusher on the partition
Old September 13th 12, 03:41 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
ĄJones

On Wed, 12 Sep 2012 19:29:54 -0700 (PDT), in rec.bicycles.tech
datakoll wrote:

I'M ASSHOLE DEEP IN batteries, big ones small ones tall ones ect...
good idea check on the temps when charging or draining.

and there's a halon B Sedan extingusher on the partition

Well, I know **** about batteries; however, LI-PO batteries burn like
napalm... I have seen 'em both and LI-POs are mini-napalm.

If you have one, charge it away from your house! Be darn careful
about how you carry it... it's a freakin' fire bomb! I mean, they go
off like gasoline!

The risk is real; Google it for yourself.

Jones

California fires raisethe UK 4 October 28th 07 04:34 PM
California fires [email protected] Australia 0 October 25th 07 09:38 PM
Fires around Bright Walrus Australia 17 December 14th 06 08:14 AM
After the fires - a RR Michael Paul Mountain Biking 9 November 11th 03 04:35 PM