NiteHawk Emitter (wow!)

Old September 4th 04, 07:00 PM
Roger Zoul

DRS wrote:
|| "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
||| DRS wrote:
|| [...]
||| There was a post here...and then I did some googling to reviews.
|| The reviews I've seen have been very positive. I do wish the
|| standard unit had a flash mode though. I'm not convinced of the
|| usefulness of the 10% mode, which means it would always be at 100%.

Yeah, I don't plan to use the 10% mode - I can't see a reason to. However,
the nitehawk people get to claim 72 hours of light -- so that must be why.
I'll take the 9 hrs using rechargables.

Old September 4th 04, 07:56 PM
DRS

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

DRS wrote:
"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

DRS wrote:

[...]

Interesting. What made you choose it over its competitors?

There was a post here...and then I did some googling to reviews.

The reviews I've seen have been very positive. I do wish the
standard unit had a flash mode though. I'm not convinced of the
usefulness of the 10% mode, which means it would always be at 100%.

Yeah, I don't plan to use the 10% mode - I can't see a reason to.
However, the nitehawk people get to claim 72 hours of light -- so
that must be why. I'll take the 9 hrs using rechargables.

My point is that as a predominately urban rider I like flash modes because
motorists - like all good hunters - more easily perceive flashing. It's a
shame the digital emitter is so power hungry, it's not that much more
expensive but the claimed maximum battery life is only five hours.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 6th 04, 01:25 PM
Roger Zoul

DRS wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
::
::: DRS wrote:
::::: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:::::
:::::: DRS wrote:
:::::
::::: [...]
:::::
:::::::: Interesting. What made you choose it over its competitors?
::::::
:::::: There was a post here...and then I did some googling to reviews.
:::::
::::: The reviews I've seen have been very positive. I do wish the
::::: standard unit had a flash mode though. I'm not convinced of the
::::: usefulness of the 10% mode, which means it would always be at
::::: 100%.
:::
::: Yeah, I don't plan to use the 10% mode - I can't see a reason to.
::: However, the nitehawk people get to claim 72 hours of light -- so
::: that must be why. I'll take the 9 hrs using rechargables.
::
:: My point is that as a predominately urban rider I like flash modes
:: because motorists - like all good hunters - more easily perceive
:: flashing. It's a shame the digital emitter is so power hungry, it's
:: not that much more expensive but the claimed maximum battery life is
:: only five hours.

So you'd have a flashing white light on the front?

Old September 6th 04, 01:25 PM
Roger Zoul

DRS wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
::
::: DRS wrote:
::::: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
:::::
:::::: DRS wrote:
:::::
::::: [...]
:::::

Old September 6th 04, 03:43 PM
DRS

"Roger Zoul" wrote in message

DRS wrote:

[...]

My point is that as a predominately urban rider I like flash modes
because motorists - like all good hunters - more easily perceive
flashing. It's a shame the digital emitter is so power hungry, it's
not that much more expensive but the claimed maximum battery life is
only five hours.

So you'd have a flashing white light on the front?

Yes, that's what I have now. I like the idea of a battery powered light
that is actually useful at letting you see your way but in the city that's
not necessarily what you need. In cities most often you have sufficient
street lighting that you're better off with a flashing light because it
makes you more visible to motorists. While current light has both modes its
non-flash mode isn't nearly as good as the Emitter's, but I really want a
flash mode. Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing your choice but I'm
just saying I'm disappointed the Emitter doesn't give me precisely what I
want.

--

A: Top-posters.

Old September 6th 04, 05:44 PM
Roger Zoul

DRS wrote:
:: "Roger Zoul" wrote in message
::
::: DRS wrote:
::
:: [...]
::
[...]

Understandable. I want them (Nitehawk) to produce a rear-mounted light
similar to the Emitter that produces a flashing beam that lets me know that
its there so that everyone else knows I'm there. Those LEDs (well, mine
anyway) worry me because even on a dark road I can't be sure it's working
while riding the bike.

Do you expect to ride 9 hours in the dark?

Old September 7th 04, 07:52 AM
Roger Zoul

Ryan Cousineau wrote:
|| In article ,
||| I want them (Nitehawk) to produce a rear-mounted light
||| similar to the Emitter that produces a flashing beam that lets me
||| know that its there so that everyone else knows I'm there. Those
||| LEDs (well, mine anyway) worry me because even on a dark road I
||| can't be sure it's working while riding the bike.
|| Given that same concern, Do what I do: I use more than one LED light
|| at
|| the rear. My typical setup is one light on the back of the helmet,
|| and
|| one on the saddlebag. I might add a third one this year. Cheap red
|| blinkies are really cheap, so just buy a couple.

Good idea. Thanks.