What type of bike?

Old June 22nd 05, 04:13 PM
Dave B.

Default What type of bike?

I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at about
500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark. I would
like to get a bike but am not sure exactly what I should look for. I
thought that a recumbent really looked like the bike for me (except for
the price) and then I have recently seen these comfort bikes. Are
there bikes that out there that can safely support my weight? and if
so, why type of frame etc should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Old June 22nd 05, 04:18 PM
Neil Brooks

"Dave B." wrote:

I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at about
500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark. I would
like to get a bike but am not sure exactly what I should look for. I
thought that a recumbent really looked like the bike for me (except for
the price) and then I have recently seen these comfort bikes. Are
there bikes that out there that can safely support my weight? and if
so, why type of frame etc should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Dave,

Believe it or not, others are facing the same challenge as you.

Review the following thread, generated on another site by a 550#
rider.

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=98571

Here are other threads started by that same guy. Some are about bike
upgrades. Some are video of his rides. It's cool and inspirational
to watch!

http://www.bikeforums.net/search.php?searchid=1181106

All the best on your quest. Really.
Old June 22nd 05, 04:43 PM
C.J.Patten

"Dave B." wrote in message
ups.com...
I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at about
500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark. I would

snip

I stepped on the scale yesterday thinking it would read 230... I saw 255#
instead. I need to be around 190 (give or take 5lbs).

My hat goes off to you for making that commitment to your health. Hold your
head high and don't let anyone drag you down if they decide to snipe at you
from low places. You've already lost about double what I need to!

Sorry I can't be more help on the cruisers.

I looked at them a few weeks ago and was told by the store staff they're
very comfortable and built tough. I was looking at Norco, KHS and other's I
don't remember the brands of. Good looking bikes in any case.

The Wind-Cheetah is my dream recumbant (a trike:
http://www.windcheetah.co.uk/)though I don't know a lot about them other
than they've been around a while and appear to have a lot of support. I'm
sure others will have things to say about that. (three wheels would, of
course, distribute weight over a larger area so perhaps it would have a
higher weight limit than most 2 wheelers)

Chris

Old June 22nd 05, 05:56 PM
dgk

On 22 Jun 2005 08:13:02 -0700, "Dave B." wrote:

I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at about
500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark. I would
like to get a bike but am not sure exactly what I should look for. I
thought that a recumbent really looked like the bike for me (except for
the price) and then I have recently seen these comfort bikes. Are
there bikes that out there that can safely support my weight? and if
so, why type of frame etc should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

You'll find posts in all usenet groups that tear into folks. Ignore
them. Sorry, no advice on bikes but others will have. I'm just
impressed that you can lose 100 pounds. I can't even lose 10.

My cousin is dropping down from being obese and I am impressed as all
hell with her. I'm going to get her on a bike, but she does live in
Manhattan which makes it significantly more difficult.
Old June 22nd 05, 06:17 PM
Bill Sornson

Dave B. wrote:
I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at
about 500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark.
I would like to get a bike but am not sure exactly what I should look
for. I thought that a recumbent really looked like the bike for me
(except for the price) and then I have recently seen these comfort
bikes. Are there bikes that out there that can safely support my
weight? and if so, why type of frame etc should I be looking at?

Your best bet is to visit some bike shops in your area and ask questions.
(Leave if you get "attitude".)

There are people as big and bigger than you who are avid cyclists. Go for
it!

Your mentioning recumbents reminds me of a rather strange sighting recently
here in San Diego. I went up the coast, and cruising along the other way
was a tandem recumbent, ridden by a VERY large man up front and a little kid
in back. They were quite the pair! Anyway, they sure looked like they were
having fun.

Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress!

Bill S.

Old June 22nd 05, 08:03 PM
maxo

On Wed, 22 Jun 2005 08:13:02 -0700, Dave B. wrote:

Are there
bikes that out there that can safely support my weight? and if so, why
type of frame etc should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

The wheels may be the biggest problem, so you may want to look into
getting the wheels on any bike you get replaced immediately with "tandem"
wheels having more spokes.

If I were in your boat, I'd get something sturdy and a bit silly like an
Electra cruiser with a 7/8 speed hub, which can become your Sunday coffee
house bike when you trade it in for something sportier when that next 100
pounds disappears.

If you want a pretty sporty but sturdy ride, I agree with the other
posters, find a nice shop, and be prepared to shell out some major bucks
for a custom ride--it'll be well worth it.

Let us know whatcha get.

Old June 22nd 05, 08:10 PM
Chrono-Z

Dave B. wrote:
I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at about
500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark. I would
like to get a bike but am not sure exactly what I should look for. I
thought that a recumbent really looked like the bike for me (except for
the price) and then I have recently seen these comfort bikes. Are
there bikes that out there that can safely support my weight? and if
so, why type of frame etc should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Hi Dave,

I'm a rather large man myself. I started a few months ago at 400 pounds
and am now down to 350 thanks to cycling. I had good luck with a Trek
820ST. Granted it doesn't have the nicest componets, but the beefy steel
frame seemed to have no problem supporting my girth. The price was very
reasonable as well. The only problem I had was the long reach, which is
probably because I got a frame that was slightly too tall, but your
local friendly bike shop should be more than happy to help you with it.
Old June 23rd 05, 01:28 PM
Peter Cole

Dave B. wrote:
I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at about
500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark. I would
like to get a bike but am not sure exactly what I should look for. I
thought that a recumbent really looked like the bike for me (except for
the price) and then I have recently seen these comfort bikes. Are
there bikes that out there that can safely support my weight? and if
so, why type of frame etc should I be looking at?

I think your best bet for value and reliability would be a mountain bike
with a rigid fork. It is important that the wheels be well set up by the
shop or else they'll be a constant maintenance hassle. Get the tires
swapped for equally large ones with smooth tread. Get the handlebars
raised to suit your comfort.
Old June 23rd 05, 04:47 PM
Will

Dave B. wrote:
I am somewhat afraid of posting this because I just read 30 minutes of
posts that tore people to shreads regarding their size but hopefully 1
person that knows something will respond. I started this year at
about 500 pounds and right now am about to break the 400 pound mark.
I would like to get a bike but am not sure exactly what I should look
for. I thought that a recumbent really looked like the bike for me
(except for the price) and then I have recently seen these comfort
bikes. Are there bikes that out there that can safely support my
weight? and if so, why type of frame etc should I be looking at?

It always helps to have a little information before you visit your LBS.
I would look at web-sites first. I would look for expedition style
touring bikes, these are the units built to haul major rack systems and
panniers over both wheels, tow a trailer, etc...

In other words, they can support major weight across the frame, and
remain stable, their wheel systems have lots of spokes and heavy duty
hubs. I also suspect you will need ovalized seat and down tubes to keep
the flex down.

There are a number of manufacturers. I'd look at Bruce Gordon's "Rock
and Road"
bikes to get started. google it.

There is also an interesting category of "work" bikes that are used for
hauling significant loads around warehouses, delivering goods in
cities, etc... I do not remember the names but I would guess a google
on "delivery bicycles" would get somewhere. I know there is a company
in NYC that makes a number of super heavy service bikes. They would be
cheaper than a full blown expedition cycle.
They also tend to have tricycle options, given the loads they are
spec'd for.

Will

Old June 23rd 05, 05:00 PM
Will

Will wrote:

There is also an interesting category of "work" bikes that are used for
hauling significant loads around warehouses, delivering goods in
cities, etc... I do not remember the names but I would guess a google
on "delivery bicycles" would get somewhere. I know there is a company
in NYC that makes a number of super heavy service bikes. They would be
cheaper than a full blown expedition cycle.
They also tend to have tricycle options, given the loads they are
spec'd for.

Will

Go here === http://www.workbike.org/

good portal for all manufacturers.