2 speed hub source?

Old September 20th 05, 04:46 PM

Default 2 speed hub source?

I'm building kids recumbent bikes and would like to find a source of 2
speed hubs - like the old Bendix kick back - to add as an option. I
know that Shimano makes a 3 speed coaster brake hub but I've found that
these are too easily damaged by careless youngsters. I never managed
to break one of the Bendix units..........

Can anyone direct me to a source?
================
Leon McAtee

Old September 20th 05, 06:21 PM
maxo

I think the two-speed hubs were much more popular in Europe--I used to
borrow my gran's bike in Sweden and it had one.

I'd throw an email at a few bike shops in Amsterdam and see if they
could hook you up. It's a relatively small part, and wouldn't cost too
much to ship.

Old September 20th 05, 07:30 PM

Those haven't been made in 30 years. eBay is the most common source
now. I think you want to look for the ones made for a sting-ray (20")
wheel. Rebuilt ones are $60 and over.

Old September 20th 05, 07:34 PM

Here is an example, but the red band underdrive models are much more
common.
http://cgi.ebay.com/BENDIX-BLUE-2-SP...QQcmdZViewItem

Old September 21st 05, 12:02 AM
Mike Jacoubowsky

I'm building kids recumbent bikes and would like to find a source of 2
speed hubs - like the old Bendix kick back - to add as an option. I
know that Shimano makes a 3 speed coaster brake hub but I've found that
these are too easily damaged by careless youngsters. I never managed
to break one of the Bendix units..........

Can anyone direct me to a source?

Trouble is, you don't need just the hub, you also need a good supply of
transfer springs, which break frequently and haven't been made in many
years. Actually, I'd heard a rumor that someone was making them (and selling
them for outrageous prices), but can't find them via Google. Without the
transfer spring, you've got a hub with a pretty running life.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Old September 21st 05, 02:55 AM
Ryan Cousineau

In article .com,
"maxo" wrote:

I think the two-speed hubs were much more popular in Europe--I used to
borrow my gran's bike in Sweden and it had one.

I'd throw an email at a few bike shops in Amsterdam and see if they
could hook you up. It's a relatively small part, and wouldn't cost too
much to ship.

The Sachs Torpedo Duomatic. Ask for it by name. Mine resides in an
Austrian-built Auto-Mini folder:

http://www.wiredcola.com/2005_08_21_...11248989915703
9217

http://tinyurl.com/dlvmv