what is the best ....

Old June 4th 05, 09:42 AM
SxAx

Default what is the best ....

crankset available for a square tapered BB

i know this is a question like ' whats the best car you can get ' - there's so many variables but is there a general consensus ?

i'm thinking of top end kit rather than cheap and cheerful.

Middleburn rs8
Raceface
Truvativ
any more ?

i can't go with XTR 'cause i don't want to change my BB.

opinions please

Old June 4th 05, 11:45 AM
Pete Biggs

SxAx wrote:
crankset available for a square tapered BB

i know this is a question like ' whats the best car you can get ' -
there's so many variables but is there a general consensus ?

i'm thinking of top end kit rather than cheap and cheerful.

Middleburn rs8
Raceface
Truvativ
any more ?

Campagnolo! }

Do you mean what is the best crankset for a mountain bike? No idea, m8.
:-)

~PB

Old June 4th 05, 01:02 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , Pete Biggs
') wrote:

SxAx wrote:
crankset available for a square tapered BB

i know this is a question like ' whats the best car you can get ' -
there's so many variables but is there a general consensus ?

i'm thinking of top end kit rather than cheap and cheerful.

Middleburn rs8
Raceface
Truvativ
any more ?

Campagnolo! }

Do you mean what is the best crankset for a mountain bike?

Specialites TA do mountain bike cranksets, and you can still get NOS
Campagnolo mountain bike cranksets. But if I was buying, probably
Middleburn - I say probably, because generally I much prefer one-piece
crank/spider assemblies, but I don't currently know of a one-piece that
I'd want to put on my mountain bike.

Hobbit ringleader gives Sauron One in the Eye.
Old June 4th 05, 04:58 PM
SxAx

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message ...
SxAx wrote:
crankset available for a square tapered BB

i know this is a question like ' whats the best car you can get ' -
there's so many variables but is there a general consensus ?

i'm thinking of top end kit rather than cheap and cheerful.

Middleburn rs8
Raceface
Truvativ
any more ?

Campagnolo! }

Do you mean what is the best crankset for a mountain bike? No idea, m8.
:-)

~PB

yes oops, crankset for mountain bike

Old June 4th 05, 10:02 PM
Tony Raven

SxAx wrote:
crankset available for a square tapered BB

i know this is a question like ' whats the best car you can get ' -
there's so many variables but is there a general consensus ?

i'm thinking of top end kit rather than cheap and cheerful.

Middleburn rs8 Raceface Truvativ any more ?

i can't go with XTR 'cause i don't want to change my BB.

opinions please

Race Face would be my choice. Bombproof IME. Don't know about the RS8
but the RS7 used to be a bit on the fragile side.

--
Tony

"Don't argue the matter, the difficulties will argue for themselves"
-W.S. Churchill
Old June 4th 05, 10:47 PM
Simon Brooke

in message , SxAx
') wrote:

"Pete Biggs" wrote in message
SxAx wrote:
crankset available for a square tapered BB

i know this is a question like ' whats the best car you can get ' -
there's so many variables but is there a general consensus ?

i'm thinking of top end kit rather than cheap and cheerful.

Middleburn rs8
Raceface
Truvativ
any more ?

Campagnolo! }

Do you mean what is the best crankset for a mountain bike? No idea,
m8.

yes oops, crankset for mountain bike

Well, that actually still begs a lot of questions. Are you riding cross
country or downhill? The best cross country riders I know these days
are riding with doubles, not triples, to save weight.

;; Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they
;; do it from Â*religiousÂ*conviction." Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*--Â*Pascal

Old June 5th 05, 08:37 AM
Peter B

"Simon Brooke" wrote in message

The best cross country riders I know these days
are riding with doubles, not triples, to save weight.

Whereas us mere mortals are prepared to drag a few extra grams around to
provide lower and/or closer ratios.
So SxAx, this is a defining moment, two rings or three? :-)

--
Pete

Old June 5th 05, 09:09 AM
vernon levy

Whereas us mere mortals are prepared to drag a few extra grams around to
provide lower and/or closer ratios.
So SxAx, this is a defining moment, two rings or three? :-)

I got married and went for three: engagement ring, wedding ring and
suffer-ring

I'll get me coat......

Old June 5th 05, 10:53 AM
Buck

On 06/04/2005 09:42:52 "SxAx" wrote:

crankset available for a square tapered BB

i know this is a question like ' whats the best car you can get ' -
there's so many variables but is there a general consensus ?

i'm thinking of top end kit rather than cheap and cheerful.

Middleburn rs8 Raceface Truvativ any more ?

i can't go with XTR 'cause i don't want to change my BB.

opinions please

Do not be afraid to change your bb, it is not a big job and can bring great improvements, the square taper differs from make to make as well, I favour Campag and TA cranksets, I usually go with Campag or TA or Ambrosio bb's, almost always with the Campag compatible square taper.

--
Buck

I would rather be out on my Catrike

www.catrike.co.uk