Cyclists waste petrol

Old September 11th 18, 12:50 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife[_2_]

Default Cyclists waste petrol

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018 00:25:53 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 09/09/18 00:50, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
On Sat, 08 Sep 2018 23:33:39 +0100, TMS320 wrote:

On 08/09/18 22:29, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

I agree that all cars should be automatic. But for some reason the UK
hasn't caught up with the US in this respect.

Actually, Europe hasn't caught up with the rest of the world. And to
prove it hasn't a clue it invented the dual clutch.

Never had one of those, are they a bad thing then? Top Gear seems to
like them.

They were developed for racing. They probably work quite well where the
fast upshifts minimise breaks in power. They are said not to cope with
low speeds particularly well where the preselection can be indecisive.
Non-European markets don't like the abrupt shifts. They have been the
subject of warranty claims and law suits.

Why the **** would there be a lawsuit over shifting quickly?

Ford recently dropped "Power****" and went back to a conventional auto.
PSA stayed with proper Japanese boxes all along without putting
themselves through the same learning process and it seems some brands
have quietly dropped auto completely from some models where second hand
cars with the box can be found in Autotrader.

Why are people so stupid as to want to change gears themselves when the car can do it for you? An automatic is a wonder to drive in comparison. You just press one of two pedals. Go faster or go slower, simple. And every auto I've had, you can't even feel it changing, as the torque converter smudges the two gears together way better than any clutch could. And my Golf didn't even do anything noticeable for the first 40mph. The rev counter just sat in one position, dependant on how hard I pressed the gas pedal. The torque converter was so good the revs remained precisely the same even though the gear had changed. I'd go from 0mph to 40mph and the rev counter would stay at 2000 revs precisely for the whole time. Plus, driving in snow is so much easier. If the wheels start to spin, it just goes up a gear or two and gets traction. Once I had to go up a very steep hill in deep snow. I couldn't get any traction at all, so I pressed my foot right to the floor. The speedo went
over 100mph, and snow went flying everywhere. I dug a nice pair of tracks all the way up the hill, which several other drivers then followed.
Old September 11th 18, 02:47 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/10/2018 12:14 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
How many miles did you do in those 12 years? What parts did you replace
for servicing, predicting a failure might happen in the future? I don't
believe you didn't have to change any tyres, brakes, suspension parts,
steering, hoses, etc.

What the hell do you do to cars? Tires are expendable and don't count. I
had to replace a brake hose and heater hose in my 32 year old pickup
because a porpupine ate them. He also chewed at the upper radiator hose
but it's still going strong, teeth marks and all.
Old September 11th 18, 02:53 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/10/2018 12:33 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 19:12:29 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 17:57:32 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 10:53 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
rbowman wrote
Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote
Rod Speed wrote

Once you lot are out of the EU, you'll have decent Korean cars
available

Like Dacia and Daiwoo? Loads of them about already.

Dacias are Romanian, aren't they?

Yep, and a Renault subsidiary there.

While I work with a woman named Dacia, that's as close as I'll ever
get
to one. We don't even have Renaults any more and after the Yugo, any
eastern European creations are suspect. There are some who feel
that the
only worthwhile thing Clinton did was bombing the Yugo plant.

I've yet to see any car that's reliable.

Mine hasn't had a single failure in 12 years.

How many miles did you do in those 12 years?

Just gone over 65K Km

What parts did you replace for servicing,

Just the oil filter, once.

That's a little extreme. I change the oil and replace the filter evry
8000 km, per the manual. I just did the 105,000 km service a couple of
weeks ago. I thought I didn't drive the car much with mostly riding the
bikes 6 months a year. You have me beat by a mile. Or a kilometer.
Whatever. Must be those 5000 km road trips every now and then.

Old September 11th 18, 03:09 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/10/2018 12:38 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

Nope, the Getz that replaced it.

That's a Hyundai? It appears that model was never sold in North America
under any name. I wonder why? It looks similar to my Yaris (Vitz).

Old September 11th 18, 03:12 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/10/2018 12:53 PM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:

Are your roads littered with speed bumps? I go over perhaps 200 a day.

That cinches it. No trip to the UK for me. Some of our dirt roads have
speed bumps, aka small boulders, but I've never seen them other than on
private roads.

Old September 11th 18, 03:22 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/10/2018 01:11 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Nope. In fact its so light with such a decent engine
that I was hooning along at well over 140K Km on the
way back from an airshow in Temora on the first
trip out of town in the new car. That's exceeding
the 100K speed limit by the level at which the
cops can seize the car instead of just fining you.

No vacation plans for Australia either. The speed limit on many of our
roads is 138 (85) and the Highway Patrol isn't all that interested in
enforcing it in the countryside. Until 2000 the daytime speed limit was
'reasonable and prudent' which usually was translated 'as fast as you
can pedal'. There are a few 100 kph sections on the curvy stretches
where people tend to kill themselves.
Old September 11th 18, 03:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/10/2018 03:46 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
So can I but I choose not to anymore. The last 3 cars have been bought
new. You get a lot more choice of car, can be sure of no problems to fix
that you have to pay for for years and I generally keep them for so long
that the extra cost isnt worth the hassle with old bombs.

The last used car I bought was a Geo Metro with 90,000 miles on it. It
was an experiment to see if I could live with something that small. It
worked out well so I bought a new Toyota subcompact.

I would have went with Suzuki, the actually manufacturer of the Geo, but
they were in the process of screwing up their car business completely.
Luckily the bikes survived because I have two of them. Unluckily there
no longer is a local dealer. Suzuki told him he would have to put their
cruiser models on the floor plan to get the two models he could actually
sell and he told them to screw off. Maybe they're trying to do the bike
business in too.

Old September 11th 18, 03:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 04:39:20 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 11:40 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
True, but if cycling through town, I'd wear shorts and tshirt.

More fool you in the depths of winter.

Oh, sweet Jesus... Here we go with Knife's fantasy that he can control
his body temperature like some Indian fakir and melt ice with his
wedding tackle at 20 below. Centigrade, Fahrenheit, take your pick.

It's called being warm blooded. Put a tropical fish in cold water and
it dies. Put a mammal in cold water and it shivers.

Leave the mammal in cold enough water for long enough and it dies.

Perhaps Jimmy has walrus genes in his makeup; big tusks, small brains,
and a lot of blubber.

Old September 11th 18, 03:44 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
rbowman[_2_]

On 09/10/2018 11:31 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Jimmy Wilkinson Knife" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 10 Sep 2018 04:45:21 +0100, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2018 05:48 AM, Jimmy Wilkinson Knife wrote:
In the UK the cops are in fear of being done for assault. They're
always very polite and behave like girls. It's quite funny arguing
with
a traffic cop, they let you insult them.

Yes, well that's the UK... I'm sure you read enough US news to realize
this is not the UK.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/officer-ar...ry?id=57715416

How ****ed up do you have to be to think you're in your house when
you're in someone else's?

There might just be a reason for that immortal 'little boxes' line.

She deserves everything she gets.

We'll see if she gets anything. This one didn't.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooti...Justine_Damond

Actually he is in custody on a third degree murder charge. In Minnesota
third degree murder means 'you probably didn't mean to do it but you are
a depraved animal that shouldn't see the light of day for forty years or
so.'

It's amazing considering Noor was a diverse Muslim Somalian person of
color. The female dingbat appears to be more or less white and the
deceased was a respectable black so she is toast.

That's not the only amazing thing about Noor. If i were sitting in the
drivers seat talking to a woman and someone shot across me for no
apparent reason I'd be rather upset and might have an accidental
discharge myself.

Old September 11th 18, 04:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.rec.driving,uk.d-i-y,alt.home.repair
Rod Speed

wrote:

[...]

Yes. I did that in the Golf too, but that was because it did use
quite a bit of oil so I didn't bother with oil changes in the 45
years I was still using it. Dunno how many miles, the odo
failed after about 10 years and I didn't bother to replace it.
Likely getting on for 200K miles. Never had any ;problem.

I change the oil and replace the filter evry 8000 km, per the manual.

I don't bother given that the Golf did fine without that.

I did replace the oil filter a couple of years ago in the Getz
when it was making a sort of ticking noise when idling
and that fixed the noise. At the previous registration
check which here involves a mechanic testing the brakes
and stuff like that, the oil was very low and I did fill it
then, and have just done the rego test again this week
and found it was very low again and have just topped
it up. Not clear if its using oil like the Golf did too, too
early to tell yet. Both are double overhead cam engines.

I just did the 105,000 km service a couple of weeks ago.

The Getz has only just gone over 65K kms
this week, and is now 12 years old today.

I thought I didn't drive the car much with mostly riding the bikes 6
months a year.

I don't ever ride a bike anymore and don't
drive a lot anymore now I am retired.

You have me beat by a mile. Or a kilometer. Whatever. Must be those 5000
km road trips every now and then.

I don't usually go quite that far. The last one was 1000 km and
I should be doing another next week if the weather is decent.

This is what cyclists waste tax payers' money on James Wilkinson Sword[_4_] UK 123 February 12th 17 10:08 PM
Another waste of effort Mrcheerful[_2_] UK 2 September 21st 11 09:56 AM
So here is some total waste Anton Berlin Racing 6 August 4th 09 05:05 AM
Wot a waste [email protected] UK 11 February 28th 08 08:24 AM
Probably a waste of my time but its my time to waste Jeff Grippe Recumbent Biking 78 January 17th 07 11:30 PM