Should I wear a helmet?

Old September 18th 03, 09:10 PM
blue girl with white hair and red eyes

Default Should I wear a helmet?

I enjoy biking and Im going on the trinity river trail in Fort Worth
this weekend. (70 mile round trip) Im trying to keep costs low and one
of the last things I would expect to get would be a helmet. I dont
intend to fall off and hit my head. Even if i do....would it help? has
anyone had any real experience with a helmet in a fall? The only
anecdote I can provide is one time I was backpacking at Dinosaur
Valley. I was packing up my tent in the morning and heard a sound....a
couple of mountain bikers coming by. They stopped and chatted with me
a minute or two beofre riding on. After several hours of hiking i made
it back to the road and my truck. There was a truck parked next to me.
As I was putting my gear up along came those 2 bikers. One of them was
carrying his helmet and had blood on his face. He told me that he was
going down a steep hill, hit a root and got thrown from his bike and
his head hit a boulder and split his helmet in half. He said you gotta
throw it away and get a new one if you even get a small bump. From the
looks of it, the blow would have surely cracked his skull open because
it was split wide. So even after seeing that...I wonder if i should
spend the money on a helmet. I dont have much to spend and it seems
uneccesary because I wont be doind the kind of stuff like that which
gets you into those situations.....but since I also go up to the store
and back you can never be sure.

How many other people ride without a helmet...and how many people who
do wear helmets find that its been a lifesaver? Also, have you worn,
been in a fall and still got hurt where it didnt provide any help?

any input would be appreciated.
Old September 18th 03, 09:19 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

I enjoy biking and Im going on the trinity river trail in Fort Worth
this weekend. (70 mile round trip) Im trying to keep costs low and one
of the last things I would expect to get would be a helmet. I dont
intend to fall off and hit my head.

The Trinity River Trail is no where near a 70 mile round trip unless you are
starting from Denton--on your bike.

Nobody "intends" to fall.

Think about it.

Pat in TX

Old September 18th 03, 09:47 PM
Greg P.

wrote in message om...
| How many other people ride without a helmet...and how many people who
| do wear helmets find that its been a lifesaver? Also, have you worn,
| been in a fall and still got hurt where it didnt provide any help?

I have a new pricey Bell helmet that matches my bike. I only time I ever
wear it is when I'm doing downhill/technical trails that may provide a way
to endo from a stump or something.

When I'm on the road commuting, I don't wear it. It looks way too dorky (I
don't give a damn if it's safer, I just won't wear it). Plus if a car ends
up slamming me, I doubt that a protected head will save you from a rib cage
break that snaps it into your lungs so you're coughing up blood and dying on
the spot...with a nice shiny helmet on your head.

Old September 18th 03, 09:47 PM
Greg P.

Old September 18th 03, 10:00 PM
Mike S.

"Pat" wrote in message
x-no-archive:yes

I enjoy biking and Im going on the trinity river trail in Fort Worth
this weekend. (70 mile round trip) Im trying to keep costs low and one
of the last things I would expect to get would be a helmet. I dont
intend to fall off and hit my head.

The Trinity River Trail is no where near a 70 mile round trip unless you

are
starting from Denton--on your bike.

Nobody "intends" to fall.

Think about it.

Its called an "accident" for a reason. If it were planned...

I was riding along talking to the guy next to me last Sat on the SDBC ride
here in San Diego. We were talking about the guy in the Acura that wasn't
moving out of the lane in Encinitas. As we were passing a slower rider on
the right, he moved left, I moved left. There was a guy and a girl chatting
passing us on the left side. They moved right just as I was moving left.

I went down so fast I didn't even have time to let go of my bars.

As my head bounced off the asphalt, splitting my helmet, all I could do is
lay there for a moment. Ugh! That hurt! You know it isn't good when you
don't bounce up and ask how the bike is.

I have a nifty bruise on my forehead, forearm, shoulder, and a very sore
neck. I hate to think about the meatwagon ride I'd have to have taken
without a helmet on.

So, what was that about not wearing a helmet again? The FIRST thing you
should do is go buy one. You don't need to spend a lot of money ($20-30
should do) because all of the helmets out there have to pass the same safety
standards. Just make sure that where you buy your helmet helps you set the
straps correctly.

And WEAR it! A helmet doesn't do you any good hanging on your bars.

Mike

Pat in TX

Old September 18th 03, 10:02 PM
Mike Beauchamp

I'd say definately get a helmet if you have the cash. I have no idea what
this trail is like, but nobody really plans on falling and a lot of people
end up falling. Helmets are pretty darn light and they have a lot of vents..
sometimes I even forget I have mine on. They also give off a more serious
vibe, like you take your biking more seriously than the casual rider. if
that helps at all... and girls look pretty cute in them

Definately wear one if you plan on riding in traffic. I mean, think about
it... lets say one day you do fall, or get hit or something... you'll be
kicking yourself in the ass for not spending a mere $50 on a helmet. An
obvious point, but still...

The first time I ever went serious mountain biking (before I ever got a
serious mountain bike) I was about 2KM's into the trail on a pretty nice
downhill that made a sweeping left hander with a real obvious tree just on
the outside of the corner. Being new to the whole thing, I seemed to
concentrate more on the tree than on the trail and I went straight into it
at about 30KM/H. Straight over the handlebar and into the tree. My first
helmet, a Bell Cruiser (huuge thing with solid plastic shell) was nicely
dented and scraped and my forks were bent right back. That's really the only
time a helmet helped me and that was like 10 years ago! I still wear one
when riding to school every day, etc.

Hope that helps... white girl with red hair and blue eyes.

Mike
http://mikebeauchamp.com