Google bikes

Old March 23rd 07, 11:13 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
tony[_2_]

Default Google bikes

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=29

Google gifts bikes to staff

The web giant wants its staff to be fit and lively and so has ‘done an
Ikea’ and has provided staffers with a catalogue from which they can
choose free bikes and kit. The eco- and health-conscious largesse is for
Europe, Africa and the Middle East only, Google staffers in America can
go whistle…

At Christmas, the UK arm of Ikea gifted all 9000 staffers with free
folding bikes, sourced by Raleigh UK from a factory in Eastern Europe.

Now Raleigh Germany has done a deal with Google to offer bikes of all
shapes and sizes to Google staff across Europe. All the bikes will be
branded with the Google logo.

Whereas Ikea staff got cheap folding bikes, many of which were quickly
placed on eBay, Google staffers can choose a Dahon Curve folding bike,
which normally retails at £349 and is new for 2007.

And as well as a folding bike and men’s and women’s hybrids, there’s to
be a Google cruiser as well. The hybrids in the pix are not equipped
with mudguards and rack. As these are meant to be commuting bikes this
is either an omission or a gift to bike shops.

2000 Google staffers were emailed a Google bike catalogue on Thursday.
Orders have to be placed with Google human resources by 27th April.
Google has about 2000 permanent staffers in Europe, Africa and the
Middle East.

Tony

Old March 25th 07, 09:16 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Marc Brett

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 08:20:17 +0000,
(Ekul Namsob) wrote:

tony wrote:

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=29

Google gifts bikes to staff

Aaarrrgghh!

'gives'

Sorry, I know it's not your fault, Tony, and it's a big ask for
journalists to write in English.

"a big ask"? Since when is ask a noun?

The web giant wants its staff to be fit and lively and so has 'done an
Ikea' and has provided staffers with a catalogue from which they can
choose free bikes and kit. The eco- and health-conscious largesse is for
Europe, Africa and the Middle East only, Google staffers in America can
go whistle…

Why exclude America, I wonder?

Maybe because they can catch the Google Bus:

http://memostomyself.wordpress.com/2...aradise-found/

And how's this for cool: "bicycles are allowed on exterior racks". Why don't we
have that as stantard on TfL buses?

Old March 25th 07, 09:20 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ekul Namsob

tony wrote:

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=29

Google gifts bikes to staff

Aaarrrgghh!

'gives'

Sorry, I know it's not your fault, Tony, and it's a big ask for
journalists to write in English.

The web giant wants its staff to be fit and lively and so has 'done an
Ikea' and has provided staffers with a catalogue from which they can
choose free bikes and kit. The eco- and health-conscious largesse is for
Europe, Africa and the Middle East only, Google staffers in America can
go whistle…

Why exclude America, I wonder?

Cheers,
Luke

--
Lincoln City 0-2 Southend United (AET)
Swansea City 2-2 Southend United
Old March 25th 07, 09:32 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Paul Rudin

(Ekul Namsob) wrote:

tony wrote:

http://quickrelease.tv/?p=29

Google gifts bikes to staff

Aaarrrgghh!

'gives'

Sorry, I know it's not your fault, Tony, and it's a big ask for
journalists to write in English.

"a big ask"? Since when is ask a noun?

It's a variation on the rule that usenet spelling correction posts
always contain a spelling mistake

Old March 25th 07, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Ziggy

On Sun, 25 Mar 2007 10:19:12 +0100, Tony Raven
wrote:

(Ekul Namsob) wrote:

Sorry, I know it's not your fault, Tony, and it's a big ask for
journalists to write in English.
"a big ask"? Since when is ask a noun?

It's a variation on the rule that usenet spelling correction posts
always contain a spelling mistake

And, punctuation, mistakes too ;-)

And don't forget mistakes grammar.
Old March 25th 07, 11:15 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
congokid

In article , tony
writes

Whereas Ikea staff got cheap folding bikes, many of which were quickly
placed on eBay

16 or so still the

ttp://search.ebay.co.uk/ikea-bike_W0QQfromZR8QQssPageNameZWLRS
--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...
Old March 25th 07, 11:29 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Dr Kickstand

I was also wondering why the bike offer was not extended to US
employees. Maybe, there is no PR in such a stunt, a free car prehaps.

DrK

http://www.bikesthatfold.com - All about Folding Bikes!

Old March 25th 07, 11:34 AM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Tony Raven[_2_]

Dr Kickstand wrote on 25/03/2007 11:29 +0100:
I was also wondering why the bike offer was not extended to US
employees. Maybe, there is no PR in such a stunt, a free car prehaps.

Probably a combination of staff numbers in the US plus the fact that
commuter cycling is quite common in Europe but not in the USA

--
Tony

"The most savage controversies are those about matters as to which there
is no good evidence either way."
- Bertrand Russell
Old March 25th 07, 03:42 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling
Simon Brooke

in message , Marc Brett
') wrote:

Maybe because they can catch the Google Bus:

http://memostomyself.wordpress.com/2...aradise-found/

And how's this for cool: "bicycles are allowed on exterior racks". Â*Why
don't we have that as stantard on TfL buses?

They do in (e.g.) Seattle. I believe bike racks are common on busses in the
US. They're apparently banned in Britain for, errm, 'safety' reasons.

;; IE 3 is dead, but Netscape 4 still shambles about the earth,
;; wreaking a horrific vengeance upon the living
;; anonymous