Will the Global Plunge make people plunge into bikes?

Old October 13th 08, 08:11 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default The whole economics of it

(Not sure if you'll ever have THE TIME to think about these things)

Originally Posted by geo8rge
"As an economic decision riding a bike will make more sense if fuel is
more dear, and time less valuable. People that might have been willing
to bike 3mi could consider 5mi now that they cannot afford fuel and
their hourly wage is less or they work part time.

The problem is that bicycles are not free, there are many expenses
associated with them. If you cannot repair it yourself, you may not
have an LBS near by. People who drive cars are not ignorant, they are
making a rational choice given their situation."

The whole economics of it is that a car makes you more successful, and
the more succesful you are the better and bigger the car you want and
the more you've got to work, so in the end it's better to be less
successful and have the time to ride a bike.
Old October 14th 08, 05:53 PM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
ComandanteBanana

Default Will the Global Plunge make people plunge into bikes?

On Oct 13, 4:38 pm, Jym Dyer wrote:
The Banana Revolution has largely been inspired by Marley ...

=v= Please don't blame Bob Marley for what is actually quite
clearly the result of way too much ganja.
_Jym_

If Marley smoked too much weed, and I smoke banana peels... it's not
your problem, right?

Or are also part of that big hypocrisy of "the War on Drugs"?

Peace and Banana, man.
Old October 16th 08, 07:33 AM posted to rec.bicycles.misc,alt.planning.urban,rec.bicycles.soc,rec.bicycles.rides,uk.rec.cycling
drydem

Default AMERICA DOESN'T HAVE AN ENERGY POLICY!

On Oct 12, 1:07*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:
On Oct 11, 7:50*am, drydem wrote:

On Oct 10, 4:46*pm, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

On Oct 9, 9:08*pm, Pat wrote:

On Oct 9, 11:22*am, ComandanteBanana
wrote:

On Oct 8, 12:41*pm, Pat wrote:

The good news is, of course, that we will NEVER run out of oil.
NEVER. *It's impossible.

Hey, you must change channels once a while. Fox News will only tell
you the viewpoint of the lion. Remember this, SAVING IS CHEAPER THAN R
& D. Now get on your bikes...

"Oil Apocalypse" in Mega Disasater, History Channel

The oil that runs our world won't last forever. The gap between supply
and demand is ever-growing. Even without increasing our current rate
of consumption we will empty the Earth's large but finite reservoirs
in a relatively short time. Will alternative energy save us or is it
already too late? What would happen to the world as we know it when
our oil dependent industries come to a grinding halt? A worldwide
depression is a certainty but a power struggle for the basic
necessities of life would be complete chaos.

Are we looking down the barrel of an OIL APOCALYPSE? This THE HISTORY
CHANNEL® DVD paints a terrifying picture.

http://store.aetv.com/html/product/i...html?id=108290

I can't believe I'm asking this, but what the heck. *Do you really
believe that on some day in 2017 all of the oil wells will just go dry
and we will have pumped the last gallon of oil out of the ground?
Bam, it'll be done. *And if you believe that, do you believe that all
of scientists and engineers and inventors of the world will stand
there looking at the empty wells and saying "oops, we really should
have planned for that" as all of the lights go out and all of the cars
stop.

That scenario is beyond comprehension, but is that really your view?- Hide quoted text -

If there's a lesson to be learned from the program is NOT so much that
a crisis will happen in 2017 or so, just that AMERICA DOESN'T HAVE AN
ENERGY POLICY! When you are not prepare for something or you stick
your head in the sand, many things can happen, just like the current
financial crisis, unforseen --but predictable-- a few months ago.

To a supply-sider economics advocate - allowing energy prices
to rise to curtail energy usage and economic growth
is the *ideal* energy policy. Only those usages and types
of growth that can afford the higher energy prices would
continue consuming those forms of energy. Usages
and growth *which could not afford higher fossil fuel cost
would have to switch to a lower cost energy source or
risk elimination. *That is as oil prices go higher - it will
provide the economic foundation for rival energy forms
to supplant it. If you are to believe in Adam Smith's
economic paradigm out of the ashes of defeat comes the
flames of rebirth.- Hide quoted text -

There's truth to it, but how can we make it happen (the prices to high
enough) without taxation? What are left with, praying for 10 bucks a
gallon?- Hide quoted text -

Open standards - public domain technology -
intellectual property right free standard vehicle technologies
which are guaranteed to meet or exceed NTSA standards..
e.g. Linux for EV onboard computers, Lithium-Ion battery
modules, ....
..
..