Hit by car

Old December 12th 17, 01:55 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

Default Hit by car

On 12/11/2017 9:33 PM, jbeattie wrote:
On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 11:48:06 AM UTC-8, duane wrote:
On 11/12/2017 1:47 PM, Ian Field wrote:

"Andy" wrote in message
I was crossing crosswalk with green light.

Lady made a right at red light. She never looked right.

I was hit.

Broke left hand and neck pain.

I will never again cross at light.

Will cross between blocks.

Can't trust anyone!!

Andy

Tactical riding - I learned it on motorcycles, but it applies to
bicycles too.

He was walking. Tactical walking I guess...

****wittery is expected of car drivers.

Yeah, but not exclusively. My wife took months to recover from a clown
riding his bike on a sidewalk and knocking her down as she walked out of
her office door.

My wife just got knocked down by two f****** dogs who were with their owner, and in her relatively frail condition, that's no trivial matter. And what I hate is the inevitable effort to make it seem acceptable -- "oh, he just wants to say hello," or "oh, he's just so happy to see you . . ." I want to slap these idiots. It's not O.K.

Dog people are weird. And there are FAR too many dog people.

Why do they think I won't mind very much if their animal jumps on me?

Aside from jumping incidents, the most obnoxious incident I remember was
when our kid was about three years old. We were walking in a park when a
woman's little yappy dog came rushing, barking, straight for our
daughter. This wasn't a friendly "glad to see you" bark; it was aggressive.

When the dog got within about three feet, I kicked it. The dog ran back
yipping, the woman picked it up in her arms and growled with fierce
sincerity "If I had a gun I would shoot you!"

And I don't doubt that she would have. Her dog is MUCH more important
than my child!

P.S. We've noted with amazement that in Portland, it's often fine to
take your dog into stores, even restaurants. At least that doesn't
happen around here.

--
- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 17, 02:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Duane[_2_]

Yep, no shortage of ****wits.

Old December 12th 17, 04:14 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
JBeattie

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Sometimes it's an effort to market to dog owners, and sometimes its fear of ADA and discrimination against service animals. The deal I've encountered lately are dogs on airplanes. WTF? Take a Xanax or Ativan. I was in a surgery waiting room, and some do-gooder brought in the comfort dog to commune with all the waiting family members -- which was hilarious because all the lap dogs that had been smuggled into the room and claimed "service animals" started to bark. The place was like the dog pound, making it miserable for everyone. The whole dog thing has gotten out of control.

-- Jay Beattie.
Old December 12th 17, 04:25 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
AMuzi

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

+1
What could go wrong?

http://ktla.com/2017/12/11/pit-bull-...llinois-woman/

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org/

Old December 12th 17, 04:57 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_2_]

On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 10:14:22 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
The deal I've encountered lately are dogs on airplanes. WTF? Take a Xanax or Ativan.

Ah yes. A couple years ago we were on a flight from Pittsburgh to Florida.
Someone up toward the front of the plane had a little dog in a carrier. The dog
spent the entire flight going "Yip! ... Yip! ... Yip!" It yipped every five
seconds or so all the way to Florida. The owners never reacted a bit.

- Frank Krygowski
Old December 12th 17, 06:52 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

no question, roadside dog owners set dogs after cyclists.

Current dog M-B Santa reindeer is a hoot where the procession halts allowing Santa's dog ..Santa has a dog ? ...to crap behind a bush then get back into the 500 to wipe ass on the seats.

smart money sez Santa feeds the dog with ground up elves.

Old December 12th 17, 08:23 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Andy

On Monday, December 11, 2017 at 8:48:33 AM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/11/2017 6:48 AM, Andy wrote:
On Sunday, December 10, 2017 at 5:26:19 PM UTC-6, Frank Krygowski wrote:
On 12/10/2017 4:36 PM, Andy wrote:
I was crossing crosswalk with green light.

Lady made a right at red light. She never looked right.

I was hit.

Broke left hand and neck pain.

I will never again cross at light.

Will cross between blocks.

Can't trust anyone!!

You certainly have to be very choosy about whom you trust. But you also
have to behave in a predictable manner.

It sounds like you were going straight ahead while you were to the right
of a car that turned right. I try to never put myself in that position.
It's responsible for many serious crashes, often fatal ones. That's why
that location has the nickname "coffin corner." See
http://iamtraffic.org/glossary/coffin-corner/

That website talks specifically about a bike lane, but the same
principle applies if its a sidewalk, or even if you're on a street or
road with no bike lane. Don't put yourself to the right of a vehicle
that may turn right. _Especially_ don't do it with trucks, buses or
other large vehicles. They have blind spots that make it even harder to
spot you in that position.

Bicycles are safest at intersections if they are where motorists expect
vehicles to be, and if the bicyclists are performing normal traffic
movements.

For more on this, see
http://www.kansascyclist.com/news/20...coffin-corner/

--
- Frank Krygowski

Don't put yourself to the right of a vehicle
that may turn right.

That's difficult to do when a cyclist has to cross.
Any cyclist on the road will ALWAYS be on someone's right.

Sorry, that's absolutely false. There are cyclists who are knowledgeable
enough not to ride in the gutter, and knowledgeable enough to avoid bike
lanes and sidewalks that put them at risk.

Admittedly, most cyclists don't have that knowledge. But most cyclists
think they already know everything about how to ride a bike. Go figure!

--
- Frank Krygowski

You are entitled to your opinion even if wrong.

I learn something new every day.

Andy
Old December 13th 17, 02:29 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_3_]

"Andy" wrote in message
[...]

Having observed "dog people", particularly female "dog people" and
I've always wondered. They seem largely to be childless, frequently
unmarried, and often over the age of child bearing and one sees them
carrying the dog in their arms, kissing it and talking "baby talk to
it".

--
Cheers,

John B.

Old December 13th 17, 02:39 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Ralph Barone[_4_]

Frank Krygowski wrote:
On Tuesday, December 12, 2017 at 10:14:22 AM UTC-5, jbeattie wrote:
The deal I've encountered lately are dogs on airplanes. WTF? Take a Xanax or Ativan.

Ah yes. A couple years ago we were on a flight from Pittsburgh to Florida.
Someone up toward the front of the plane had a little dog in a carrier. The dog
spent the entire flight going "Yip! ... Yip! ... Yip!" It yipped every five
seconds or so all the way to Florida. The owners never reacted a bit.

- Frank Krygowski

It's a comfort animal. You can repeat to yourself "If the plane crashes and
bursts into flames, at least that f$#king dog will stop barking."

Old December 13th 17, 03:38 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Frank Krygowski[_4_]

On 12/12/2017 2:23 PM, Andy wrote:
[...]

OK, I'll admit to being wrong in one sense: It is true that any cyclist
on the road will be to _someone's_ right. It could be someone on a road
a mile away. It could be someone walking on a sidewalk. It could be
someone sitting at a desk.

Is that what you meant?

But it's certainly not necessary for a cyclist to always ride to the
right of a motorist traveling the same road in the same direction. When
that occurs at an intersection, the cyclist is assuming some risk.

BTW, there are people who say you were walking when hit in the
crosswalk, not riding a bike. So, which was it?
--
- Frank Krygowski