Group rides

Old August 2nd 05, 12:35 AM
MikeyOz

Default Group rides

while out for a group ride this morning, during an easy warmup stage,
had a thought to myself with possible newer riders in a group.

Situation is approaching traffic lights and they turn red, people i
the know in the group shout down the line "lights", im usually alway
looking anyway so when I see them I shout "lights"

when it suddenly popped into my head that what if a first time ride
was behind me and heard the words "lights" he thinks, oh cool there ar
lights ahead, which is the last though they have before he ploughs int
the back of me because I have stopped.

next time I used the word "stopping" and will continue to use it fro
now on.

just one of those weird thoughts I sometimes get while cycling

--
MikeyOz

Old August 2nd 05, 01:00 AM
Tamyka Bell

MikeyOz wrote:

while out for a group ride this morning, during an easy warmup stage, I
had a thought to myself with possible newer riders in a group.

Situation is approaching traffic lights and they turn red, people in
the know in the group shout down the line "lights", im usually always
looking anyway so when I see them I shout "lights"

when it suddenly popped into my head that what if a first time rider
was behind me and heard the words "lights" he thinks, oh cool there are
lights ahead, which is the last though they have before he ploughs into
the back of me because I have stopped.

next time I used the word "stopping" and will continue to use it from
now on.

just one of those weird thoughts I sometimes get while cycling.

--
MikeyOz

That's one thing my coach did well - briefing riders before group rides,
so everyone knows the hand signals and calls. Too often (elsewhere) I
have heard people call CLEAR without looking, because the people in
front called CLEAR. By the time the 6th pair want to go, it's not clear,
but the guys in front are still passing that message. Not good.

Tam
Old August 2nd 05, 01:29 AM
flyingdutch

MikeyOz Wrote:
while out for a group ride this morning, during an easy warmup stage, I
had a thought to myself with possible newer riders in a group.

Situation is approaching traffic lights and they turn red, people in
the know in the group shout down the line "lights", im usually always
looking anyway so when I see them I shout "lights"

when it suddenly popped into my head that what if a first time rider
was behind me and heard the words "lights" he thinks, oh cool there are
lights ahead, which is the last though they have before he ploughs into
the back of me because I have stopped.

next time I used the word "stopping" and will continue to use it from
now on.

just one of those weird thoughts I sometimes get while cycling.

fairynuff

most groups i have ridden with shout out "lights" AND hold hand out
behind/down behind em. the combined effect has never (that i have
witnessed) left a newbie wondering what's goin on

I once was at the back of a group headin down past mordy (east of
trainline. wow its been awhile )

3 older riders cruising at front, newbie to right of third of these 3
(ie 2nd wheel, rightside) and me-n-friend behind.

approach parked car, swerve out to right at last minute and then yell
abuse at newbie for not moving right. the pigheaded ol' fools hadnt
bothered to signal or say 'parked car' or 'right' and abused him cos he
had the temerity to ride in a straight line. I gave em a hell of a
bollocking for bollocking the newbie and wished them a good ride.
geeeesh
Volvo drivers on 2 wheels?

--
flyingdutch

Old August 2nd 05, 08:26 AM
dave

MikeyOz wrote:
while out for a group ride this morning, during an easy warmup stage, I
had a thought to myself with possible newer riders in a group.

Situation is approaching traffic lights and they turn red, people in
the know in the group shout down the line "lights", im usually always
looking anyway so when I see them I shout "lights"

when it suddenly popped into my head that what if a first time rider
was behind me and heard the words "lights" he thinks, oh cool there are
lights ahead, which is the last though they have before he ploughs into
the back of me because I have stopped.

next time I used the word "stopping" and will continue to use it from
now on.

just one of those weird thoughts I sometimes get while cycling.

I dunno we have always used stopping... (or going for those split second
calls.

Can recall if I have heard people call lightts

A newbie would probably just gasp ¨Thank god ¨

On that subject .. going down beach rd on Sat. In with a guy and two
women.. talking bikes to the guy. A bunch goes past going the other
way.. and a woman gasps ¨I cant keep this up, you are getting away¨

I sad ¨ thats odd You usually find that people falling off are far too
puffed to say so; and the bloke I was chatting to said ¨yeah they
usually just die quietly and vanish ¨ We kept talking and 10 mins later
he turns around and says ¨Where did my sister and her friend go ?¨
Old August 2nd 05, 02:19 PM
aeek

MikeyOz Wrote:
while out for a group ride this morning, during an easy warmup stage,
had a thought to myself with possible newer riders in a group.

Another thing is to look past the rider ahead, not directly at thei
wheel.
You can still see the wheel periphally

--
aeek

Old August 2nd 05, 05:12 PM
Michael Warner

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 09:35:11 +1000, MikeyOz wrote:

Situation is approaching traffic lights and they turn red, people in
the know in the group shout down the line "lights", im usually always
looking anyway so when I see them I shout "lights"

I've never heard "lights" in a group here in Adelaide; as you say,
it's ambiguous. It's always "slowing" or "stopping", regardless of
what the obstruction is, preferably with a hand held open and down.

Old August 2nd 05, 05:14 PM
Michael Warner

On Tue, 2 Aug 2005 23:19:49 +1000, aeek wrote:

Another thing is to look past the rider ahead, not directly at their
wheel. You can still see the wheel periphally.

I tend to alternate my attention between the wheel and the road
ahead (or whatever I can see ahead, anyway).