Anti-cycling House bill

Old July 26th 03, 08:14 PM
Pat

Default Anti-cycling House bill

x-no-archive:yes

Michael wrote:

------I carted along a machete and broom.------A cop stopped and
asked me what the heck I thought I was doing.

I was using a machete to clear a thick stand of weeds that was
creating a dangerous "blind corner" at a bikepath intersection near a
road. Two cops approached me with hands on their guns and ordered me to
"Drop your weapon!". They had no comprehension that anyone would choose
to do a simple, beneficial thing like that, unless paid.

Steve McDonald

And my experience was that I took a broom and swept glass off of the public
bike trail and even sprayed yellow paint on the broken areas of concrete (to
warn people about a drop off)---right across the street from the northside
police station and with officers going in and out the entire time, nobody
bothered me or took exception to what I was doing. I was even chopping back
tree branches that threatened to hit people riding bikes in the head and
neck area.

Pat in TX (maybe it's a Texas thang)

Old July 26th 03, 08:17 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

All bikepaths instantly become "multi-use" paths.
How could you keep the runners, skaters, etc. off them, even if you
tried to ban them? And it's a good thing, as a broader base of users
provides more support and acceptance for their construction.

Steve McDonald

Our bike path (15 miles long) has another, separate path beside it (about 5
yards away) for runners, strollers, and dog walkers, although skaters might
have a tough time because it is small, crushed gravel. But, no, everybody
likes the bike path instead---and, yes, there are signs that read "Bicycles
only." Still, that doesn't stop the people walking their dogs from glaring
and giving us dirty looks when we actually try to ride on the bike path.

Pat in TX

Old July 26th 03, 08:48 PM
Eric S. Sande

Still, that doesn't stop the people walking their dogs from glaring
and giving us dirty looks when we actually try to ride on the bike
path.

And that in a nutshell is the separate facilities problem.

I'm guessing you Texas boys don't ride on the road?

Strike while the iron is hot, I say, jam that vehicle law down
their throats, educate, organize and ride in the street that
you're paying for.

No concessions, no prisoners.

No ghetto.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------
Old July 27th 03, 01:35 AM
Chalo

Rick Onanian wrote:

Too much comes from the "filthy rich" people (god forbid they should
have the money that they, or maybe their parents worked for).

Nobody, And I mean nobody, works to become filthy rich. They siphon
off the work of others, which is their privilege under the capitalist
system.

You can work hard and effectively to make as much as a hundred
thousand $ or more in a year. That requires diligence, strategy, and
a run of good luck. More than that can only come by treating others
as milk cows.

When I hear schemers claiming to have "worked hard" to "earn" their
millions, I want to vomit on behalf of the 100s or 1000s of people who
provided the actual productivity that generated the actual wealth.

Chalo Colina
Old July 27th 03, 03:30 AM
Mark Jones

"GRL" wrote in message
Uh, how much road (or bike path) use taxes do you pay as a bicyclist?

Plenty. I pay it in the form of taxes on my Corvette and
4x4 truck. There is also the parks and recreation portion
of my real estate taxes on my house. Just because you
own a bicycle, that doesn't mean that you don't own a
car or truck that you pay lots of taxes on.

When I park my truck and ride my bicycle, there is a
lot less wear on the roads. This helps make the tax
money for roads go a little farther.

Old July 27th 03, 03:32 AM
Mark Jones

"Scott Munro" wrote in message
A) Bike paths are not a federal responsibility.

The bike paths here in KC are part of the parks and
recreation operation. This is local money.

Old July 27th 03, 03:39 AM
Mark Jones

"Chalo" wrote in message
om...
Rick Onanian wrote:

Too much comes from the "filthy rich" people (god forbid they should
have the money that they, or maybe their parents worked for).

Nobody, And I mean nobody, works to become filthy rich. They siphon
off the work of others, which is their privilege under the capitalist
system.

Bull. Most of the people who have accumulated great wealth
had to take on a lot of initial risk with no guarantee of a
payoff in the end. They could have ended up losing a lot of
money if things hadn't worked out right.

Risk takers are the ones who usually end up with the money
and the people who prefer to play it safe with a regular job
may never see much of an annual salary.

Old July 27th 03, 03:50 PM
Pat

x-no-archive:yes

Still, that doesn't stop the people walking their dogs from glaring
and giving us dirty looks when we actually try to ride on the bike
path.

And that in a nutshell is the separate facilities problem.

I'm guessing you Texas boys don't ride on the road?

Strike while the iron is hot, I say, jam that vehicle law down
their throats, educate, organize and ride in the street that
you're paying for.

No concessions, no prisoners.

No ghetto.

"Eric S. Sande

In the above description, I was talking about a black-top bike path that
goes along the Trinity River in the corridor. It is not a road nor are there
any roads in the vicinity: essentially, it is in a long, long park. It is
a use for the land immediately beside of the river.

Pat in TX

Old July 27th 03, 04:03 PM
Mark Jones

"Pat" wrote in message
In the above description, I was talking about a black-top bike path that
goes along the Trinity River in the corridor. It is not a road nor are

there
any roads in the vicinity: essentially, it is in a long, long park. It

is
a use for the land immediately beside of the river.

I can rapidly get across town on the paved bike path because
there are no traffic lights or cars to deal with. Much safer to
ride along the path next to the creek while in the shade of the
trees that grow along the creek.

The path goes right behind my house, so I can be on it in
about a minute and on my way. We also have very well
maintained bike lanes that do not have the debris problem
that people complain about. The street sweepers do a very
good job of keep the streets clean from curb-to-curb.