New Problem on Multi-Use Paths--Masses of People Staring at theirPhones

Old July 24th 16, 05:51 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

Default New Problem on Multi-Use Paths--Masses of People Staring at their Phones

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 10:07:02 -0700, sms
wrote:

On 07-20-2016 10:20, Mike A Schwab wrote:
Ancel Keys came up with they Hypothesis that eating fat
gives you heart attacks. Going through the data, he found
that if he limited his data to seven countries, the data
from those countries supported his hypothesis.

Sounds like he went to the F.K. School of Statistical Analysis. Or Trump
University. Carefully select your sample by time and place so you get
the result you want, then try to extrapolate that result to convince
those with no critical thinking skills that what you are saying is
accurate. If that doesn't work, just lie.

---

Ah, the Smurf philosophy. "If it doesn't work, just lie"

Is "he shows his true colors" an appropriate comment here?
--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 24th 16, 06:58 AM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
John B.[_6_]

On Sat, 23 Jul 2016 14:31:04 -0500, "W. Wesley Groleau"
wrote:

On 07-23-2016 04:00, John B. wrote:
I suspect that on a world wide basis the main source of calories is
not animal based but carbohydrates. Thus, perhaps the 7 countries was
all available for the study :-)

No, there were MANY more available in 1943, and if you graph them all
using Keys' methods, the correlation completely vanishes.

There are various sources for this. The best two I've seen,
unfortunately, I cannot show you. One was the medical journal article I
already mentioned from the same year as the infamous Seven Countries
Study. The other was a scatter-plot using Keys' method of numerous
countries in the first few pages of this book:

https://books.google.com/books?id=J0CzHjr_3_YC

Two other interesting mentions of the issue a

Pages 33-35 of
https://books.google.com/books?id=r_PmOunrDk0C&pg=PA33

and pages 48-49 of
https://books.google.com/books?id=rFF30fhh7SoC&pg=PA49

I have no idea, "in 1943" but I do know that Japanese born post WW II
are taller than their parent and life expectancy increased by ~13
years in a ten year period from 1945, attributed, in part, to better
diets. Heart problems in Japan are also relatively low, again
attributed, in some part, to diet. The Japanese diet is largely fish,
vegetables and rice. Relatively little "red meat" is eaten.

And, I have mentioned that my grand parents, who, as far as I know,
ate a typical diet for their times, substantially fried foods and
lived into their late 80's and 90's. Another thing my paternal grand
father ate at least 5 meals a day for most of his life and was a very
slender person. Of course he also raised several thousand chickens by
himself and worked from before sun-up in the mornings until dark in
the evenings.

My own supposition is that diet is significant only when discussed as
part of the whole life style. "Up and 'at 'em" before daylight and
hard at it until dark doing strenuous physical labor may well permit a
much different diet from the "office chair to recliner in front of the
TV" effort :-)

But I also have this suspicion that diet studies like many other
studies may well come with pre-supposed values or conditions or end
results expected.

I think I mentioned a site I happened on that argued that diabetes
could be controlled by diet alone. Their cure was a diet of 600
calories a day for two weeks... I'm sure that did reduce blood sugar
significantly :-)

--
cheers,

John B.

Old July 25th 16, 12:32 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

There are sims....Use ages promote more of any variety...

TTE AFAIK ( - 0 ) Zthe autopilot group fid not pub scatter diagrams on AP cycle recog scenario....

truth is fat is No 1 cause heart disease
, small particulate airborne pollution No 1 caws lung disease

alcohol is a toxic poison.. dehydrating n drink g CHOH inhaling dust/smoke n eating sausages is fatal
Old July 25th 16, 12:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH

Like Radio Brazzaville ?
Old July 25th 16, 06:26 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech
Mike A Schwab

On Monday, July 25, 2016 at 6:32:28 AM UTC-5, DATAKOLL MARINE RESEARCH wrote:

truth is fat is No 1 cause heart disease
, small particulate airborne pollution No 1 caws lung disease

Body Fat is No. 1 so-indicator of heart disease.
Excess carbs causes the release of insulin which stores excess carbs as body fat.