Front shifting problem

Old June 30th 06, 03:33 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Default Front shifting problem

When I shift form my big to small chainring, occasionally the chain
gets hung up between the rings and never drops down onto the small
ring. At which point, I shift back up to the big ring, then it will
drop down onto the small ring. It does not happen all the time...just
sometimes. I have tried adjusting the front der but can't seem to
solve this problem. Could a chain that is too short cause this? Any
help is appreciated. My setup is: ultegra 10 speed levers (double),
cassette, rear der, front der, 10spd chain, ritchey 38-48 crankset.
thanks in advance
Jeff

Old June 30th 06, 04:07 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff wrote:
When I shift form my big to small chainring, occasionally the chain
gets hung up between the rings and never drops down onto the small
ring. At which point, I shift back up to the big ring, then it will
drop down onto the small ring. It does not happen all the time...just
sometimes. I have tried adjusting the front der but can't seem to
solve this problem. Could a chain that is too short cause this? Any
help is appreciated. My setup is: ultegra 10 speed levers (double),
cassette, rear der, front der, 10spd chain, ritchey 38-48 crankset.
thanks in advance
Jeff

Hung up how? Caught between the two chainrings, or just not on either
ring?
If it's the former, you need to check the chainring bolts, but it's
unlikely. If it's the latter, I believe it's just a case of adjusting
the front mech a little more.

Chain length shouldn't really come into it, tbh.

nick

Old June 30th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

NickD wrote:
Jeff wrote:
[...]

The chain does not engage in either ring... the cranks spin free

Old July 1st 06, 02:22 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff wrote:
NickD wrote:
Jeff wrote:
[...]

Dancing''..a well adjusted FD and shifting with little/no pressure on
the pedals will help this. Keep the feet moving but not a lot of
p[ressure...what shifting 'used' to be all about.

Old July 1st 06, 02:39 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

Jeff wrote:
When I shift form my big to small chainring, occasionally the chain
gets hung up between the rings and never drops down onto the small
ring.

Your FD has two screws. These screws control how much distance the FD
cage travels. One screw controls how far the FD cage shifts to the
right of the rings and the other screw controls how much the FD cage
shifts to the left of the rings. I suspect you need to get this figured
out.

Kenny

Old July 3rd 06, 11:29 PM posted to rec.bicycles.tech

As it turns out I was too conservative with the adjusting screw for the
small chainring. As suggeted, I unscrewed it a bit and all is working
fine now! Many thanks for the replies.
Jeff